“always great, but need to improve”

Hotel Villas Delfines
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Holbox Island
Montreal, Canada
“always great, but need to improve”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We went to Villa Delfines last year and spent wonderful time. However, this year we noted that some improvements are required to maintain the high quality. Staff is always nice, helpful and charming. But unfortunately we had rainy time and spent more time in the room that we do usually on Holbox Island.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Hebrew first
Xalapa, Mexico
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Well, if you are reading reviews on places to stay, you are already sold on Isla Hol-Box. If you're not sold yet, well if you are looking to stay away from the crowds of Cancun, want a taste of the beauty of Mexico with the unspoiled beaches and lack of high rises, then you found your place! Paradise is the first word that comes to mind. So let me share our experiences and why you may want to choose Villas Delfines for your place to stay. The setting first and foremost was absolutely delightful! You have incredible views from the beach cabanas, the “beach lounge” areas in front of the cabanas were spread out enough that you did NOT feel on top of others (as we saw at other hotels), you’re far enough away from town (yet still a close walk along the beach) that you can feel like you have the island to yourself. The pool is yet another wonderful setting you can lounge around and again, LOTS of room between you and other guests. The property, pool, rooms, everything, is VERY well maintained. The rooms are pridefully cleaned and the most beautiful towel art is left daily by the wonderful cleaning staff. (Different art each day by the way) Even the rooms without the beach views were fantastic as ALL rooms have a large deck in front of it with comfortable chairs and 2 hammocks. As for amenities, I personally can tell you about most as we were there for 10 days in early January and took advantage of a LOT! I spent MANY days kayaking the beautiful shores and of course the kayak was brought out to the beach for me by the amazing staff each day I wanted to use it. If you want some kind of a tour, or to rent a cart to cruise the island, a message from Mayan Hands (WOW!! she is good!), go kayaking, help with getting to and from the island (boy was THAT easy), advice on what to see or other places to eat, just about ANYTHING, the staff will set it up for you. Christy or Juan Jose (at the reception desk) tended to our every need with such care and friendliness that you would swear they were our family. Now, let’s talk food. There are MANY good places in town to eat BUT, we ended up eating almost all of our meals at Villas Delfines. They have a new chef (Rody) and he was awesome! Pastas, fish, shrimp, lobster, beef, chicken, were ALL fantastic. Tender, sweet, well seasoned and delicious! Great snack foods such as quesadillas, guacamole, fries and the like were also available. Kenny and Ramon will see to all your needs at the restaurant or anywhere else on the property. Yep, lunch in the lounge chairs by the beach or at the pool or in and around your room, you got it! Food and service that will warm your heart and soul. From reception, to food prep and serving, housekeeping, grounds crew, ALL staff were friendly, helpful, and clearly proud of the good service they provide. Villas Delfines and the beauty of Isla Hol-Box will cause me return for sure. Thank you to the staff and management for such a delightful stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Laura H
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stayed here for 2 weeks over Christmas. We are a family of 4, and they put an extra bed in our room. We had a beach front hut, which looked over the sea. We had a lovely time here - the staff were polite and attentive, the rooms were cleaned every day, the pool was clean, and the beach was lovely. The composting toilet was great - we never smelt anything at all - very impressed with it. The room had air conditioning and fans, which all worked perfectly. The mosquito nets at the windows were all 'insect tight' and the mosquito nets over the bed were also in good condition. We didn't have a problem with mosquitos at all in the room. Out on the terrace we did get midges sometimes which were quite annoying at certain times of day, but if there is a breeze then there are no midges.

Location wise, it was near perfect. Walking distance along the beach into the town, but far enough out to be away from the noise and action. From the hotel you could walk for miles along sandbanks to the undeveloped part of the island (when the tide is out). The hotel let you borrow kayaks, and we had a couple of magical trips out on them, to sand banks that were deserted apart from birds.

Holbox is lovely and quiet (although it did start to get quite busy towards New Year). It hasn't yet been spoilt by tourism like so many other places in Mexico (which is such a shame). The word is that the government is looking to put more roads in to the other parts of the island, which would be a real shame, as part of the attraction is the fact that most of the island is untouched.

Downsides:

The 'road' (not really a proper road - just a compacted bit of beach) runs between the hotel and the beach, so you have to cross it to get from the hotel to the beach. It did get quite busy with golf carts going up and down, which got on my nerves a bit after a while, but I think in low season there would be much less traffic. There are no cars.

The breakfast was not the best - I'm a bit of a coffee snob, and I do like a nice fresh coffee - not to be had here - it's out of a plastic flask. The restaurant was OK, but a little bit overpriced, but I'm sure it's the same at any hotel - we didn't eat much at the hotel, and walked into Holbox for virtually all our meals.

Room Tip: Beach front huts are a good choice.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Lugg123
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Went with my girlfirend for New years eve, had a great time, and a bog part of it was staying at Villas Delfines.

-Great location
-Friendly and helpful staff
-Comfortable rooms
-Magic island

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights. We booked a superior ocean view bungalow.
The room was clean. It had two full size beds. Would rather have had a king or queen. While it has an ocean view I thought it was going to have direct access to the beach. We had to walk back through reception and cross the road to get to the water!! Not a big deal but after staying in Tulum a few years ago I was hoping for the same private direct access to the beach.
The Shower is spacious which I enjoyed and the shell shower head is a nice touch.
The room had AC but not very efficient as the room is not insulated. But it worked. The Fine mosquito nets seemed to block the AC getting to the bed. So I would leave it on when you go out to cool the room down.
The breakfast was adequate but noting special. We did not dine there for dinner based on the breakfast. I would say, for me, this place is not worth the money we paid.
I did enjoy my stay there but I suspect other places maybe better.
The internet connection in bungalow 1 is not great. I was looking forward to waking up reading the paper, electronically, on the deck lazing over breakfast. But I was just as content reading my book.
The Staff were nice. The gardener cut us a coconut and some other fruit one afternoon and as we had to leave very early on our last morning they prepared a packed breakfast for us which we collected the night before. A nice gesture but the food needs an improvement.
The hotel needs a little investment and an upgrade in their restaurant facilities.
My wife was peppered by Mosquitos, not so much in the room, but the mosquito nets did have some holes and one night I did feel something crawling on our bed, suspect an iguana, but couldn't find anything after looking.
The 10-15 min walk back from town in the moonlight is really nice.
Bring a lot of Mosquito repellent and Sun Block!!
The reason we ended up here is that our first two choices had no vacancies and Villas Delfines were quick to get back to us. We decided to go to Holbox on a last minute decision from Merida.

Room Tip: Room No.1 Has AC and two full size beds in the one room. The Shower is big. The room is spacious.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Happy-Days-on-Tour
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed with my girlfriend for three nights at this hotel and we had a fantastic time (despite the mosquitos). The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful and the included breakfast is quite decent. What we really liked was how the hotel managed its waste, it has very good system to save water and dispose organic material. The only thing i would improve is its restaurant, because the food is very average and pricey, for the same prices you get to eat in very nice restaurants in town. and of course don't miss the whale shark tour, it can be expensive but it is worth it. enjoy

Room Tip: The rooms without sea view are good enough, so that can save you some money
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Great Hotel, extremly friendly and helpfull staff. Great Beach all for yourself. We loved it. Bungalows are great, loved the details and the hammock. Staff help us a lot with our mobile, which we lost in Campeche.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple