“excellent trip !”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Holbox Island
Paris
“excellent trip !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

i stayed at xaloc for 3 nights with my family , il was really calm , peaceful , enjoyable .
people very helpful and nice .area very quiet but still close from the small city center .
possiblity to rent bikes, 15 pesos per hour , to visite this small island,
don t miss the animal refuge , a woman owns it and take care of all the ill animals !!! don t hesitate to give somt tips ...
in 2 words : so good !

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank so19

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Hannover, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

We stayed at Xaloc resort for 5 days in mid September and had a very nice time. We arrived quite late in the evening and the staff at reception was very accommodating offering to do the paperwork for check in next morning so we could relax. Room was quite big and decorated in a nice way, with an ocean view balcony, but could use a bit more cleaning. Upon request they have changed the room next morning and that one was much cleaner.
All staff was very friendly and tried to accommodate our wishes or provide information we asked for.
Hotel is located less than 10 minutes walking from the main square, which is very convenient if you want to go for a drink/dinner or a walk in the evening.
Some people complained that there is no bar at the beach or beach service. I would put that as a positive point as you could really relax at the beach, with a beautiful view and enjoying the peace on this unspoiled island. This is not type of “all inclusive” Cancun resort. Its less crowded with tourists, rustic and laid back.We knew it in advance and loved it the way it was.
Continental breakfast is included in price but it was quite uninspiring: bread, butter, jam, orange juice (not fresh), yogurt and some fruits (usually of poor quality). As part of”full breakfast” you could choose differently prepared eggs and those were good. We once had lunch in the restaurant and fish was very well prepared and tasty. However On another occasion we tried tacos for dinner - based on managers recommendation - and were not impressed by those – nothing special and overpriced.
Overall, I would recommend hotel as they make you feel welcome, rooms are spacious & nicely decorated and hotel has nice beach. It does lack a bit of character and has some potential for improvement (for example breakfast) but the beautiful island itself makes it up for that.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank suzanita79
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

My wife and I stayed at Xaloc in October 2012, as part of our honeymoon. What a great place to spend some time to get away from it all. We meant to stay for 3 nights, but ended up extending and extending, and stayed a total of 9 nights - and we could have easily stayed twice that time (I am writing this review from my hotel in Panama City, and still wish I was at Xaloc).

The resort is right on the beautiful north beach of Holbox, with blue water as far as the eye can see. The huts/cabanas you stay in are very large, well kept, with your own patio, complete with hammock and chill-out area. There is 24-hour electriity and hot water (not necessarily a given in that part of Mexico - those of you that have been to Tulum know what I am talking about). It's just a great place!

The General Manager, Alex, took excellent care of us from the very start, including arranging an amazing candle light dinner on the beach, arranging a line-fishing trip with locals, hooking us up with an affordable golf cart t ozip around the island. His approach to running Xaloc mirrors his extensive experience in managing previous international hotel properties, and it is very obvious that he is not only ambitious about what he wants Xaloc to become, but also that he really enjoys his job. This dedication was apparent in all his employees, and that made us feel welcome like no other place we've been. One tip: If you go, make sure to spend some time getting acquainted with the resort's most interesting 'employee': Ramon. Don't worry - he'll come find you, and you'll instantly take a liking to him!

I am a kitesurfer, and had brought my gear along. If this is your thing, Holbox is an awesome place to play - shallow, clear, warm water, and sand as far as the eye can see.

We will come back - no doubt about it. And next time we stay even longer :-)

Room Tip: We stayed in cabana #4, facing the pool and the beach.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank viragodyl
Playa del Carmen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

We stayed there for just one night, coming back after one year and really enjoyed the stay and the island. The hotel is awesome and very romantic. Cabanas are incredibly beautiful and the food is really good. Management of the resort is really oriented to customer service, complete new staff, we were personally followed up by Alejandro (F&B Mgr), who really made our trip a very special one. He took care of every detail and kept giving advice about the best places to visit. Definitely we are looking forward to come back soon.

Room Tip: Double rooms are quieter but cabanas are extremely romantic!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsSandersBigham
Marietta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

This had been my first time to Holbox. I had been told that the island was beautiful and that it was a must see. I stayed at Xaloc Resort and had the most amazing time! I was completely disconnected and was able to fully relax. The room was perfect. It had all the necessary amentities. The food and drinks were delicious! It is the perfect place to get away and feel at peace and truly enjoy your surroundings! A big thank you to Alejandro S. for being so hospitable and attentive. The staff there makes sure you have everything you need for you to enjoy your stay! I highly recommend this hotel and I enjoyed it so much that I am already planning my next vacation there!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

We stayed here for a total of 6 nights after a bad decision on our first night. Management by Luis it's amazing. He is extremely friendly. Andres and Elvia at the frot desk are very helpful!
Breakfast it's included with the stay and from the beginning they tell you that try offer continental... I don't understand why people get upset about it. If you ask for more in case there is nothing they will gladly take out more, and not only that they have a small but very good selection of eggs made at request I your room includes it (ask first).
I stayed at Hut 17. Next to the street, and noise annoying yes but it's not a 5 diamond hotel and it wasn't unbearable.
Just I will put a shower curtain in the huts, and hire an extra housekeeper because sometimes it feels like there is only one person and your room gets cleaded till 2 pm or later. I will have to add that my stay was not a peak season so that might be why.

Very pleased !!! I will definitely come back here!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Mauriciocesen
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

I've been going back to Holbox and to the Xaloc Resort since 2006 and it never disappoints! In fact I would say that it's actually better than ever, and a lot of that has to do with the staff there now, who are unfailingly helpful and courteous. If something needs sorting out or fixing they're always there ready to help. I could pick out Alejandro - a fixer in chief! - or Elvia or Joan, but there were plenty of others whose names I can't recall! Another of the really positive things about Xaloc compared to the other hotels on Holbox is the amount of space there is in the whole complex. In other hotels you feel that everything is on top of you, but not at Xaloc where there are trees, paths, cabanas discreetly set apart from each other,sunlounging areas, a beach area with more sunloungers, just plenty of space and an uncluttered feeling. And what a great idea to have two swimming pools, one where families with kids can frolic around, and another strictly for adults which you can have a relaxed swim and a refreshing drink at the same time. The rooms are very tastefully laid out and furnished, and work really well. I've tried the cabanas and the double rooms and they all have the same attention to detail, and great beds to sleep on, nice and firm! And plenty of towels, including additional ones for the beach! Add in the wifi, the pleasant buffet breakfasts outside, with fresh fruit and very good coffee and you have a wonderful location to spend a few lazy days in the paradise that is Holbox! I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo