“Deserves better reviews”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Holbox Island
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
“Deserves better reviews”
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

We had our doubts after reading previous reviews but rated it highly with a lovely clean room well fitted out clean and comfortable(beach bungalow no 1) Very generous breakfast with only a small supplement for full cooked.the restaurant produces very good food but the dining room needs to match it with some more ambiance. We would have rated it higher if the sun beds had been of better quality and more of them and it would help to have a manager in charge daily ,something the management seem to miss out on,but we had a great holiday and preferred it to Casa Sandra where we stayed last year. V friendly staff and good location, we found the beds fine!!

Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Michael C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We absolutely loved this resort, but cannot return until they get new mattresses! We were thrilled with this hotel and the staff, but the beds were terrible, which really made you notice the torn threadbare mosquito nets staring at the ceiling while you can't sleep. These are really simple fixes, and I hope they make them, I'd love to return if they do.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sms505
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights in January and we're incredibly disappointed with the value considering we had been staying in hostels and decided to splurge for a nice place.

First, the service was horrible, we had a 7am ferry to catch and the hotel was unable to arrange a taxi to the port for us, reception was closed and the 'emergency line' kept dismissing us and putting us on hold we ended up having to run to the ferry wharf almost missing it.

Second, the beds were totally unacceptable - I'm not a fussy sleeper and can fall asleep almost anywhere but the floor was more comfortable than these beds which felt harder than wood - we understand that the spirit of the island is 'basic' and 'simple' but paying $120 a night to essentially sleep on the floor is not acceptable - hostel beds are FAR more comfortable than these $120 a night beds.

Finally, my bed almost certainly had bed bugs - and this is what has really encouraged me to write a review in warning - at first I thought they were mosquito bites but after research (and a number of days in serious discomfort) I am sure that my blanket was infected. I sincerely hope that xaloc responds to these complaints and ensures that their hotel reaches somewhere remotely near the standard their price warrants.

• Stayed January 2014
9 Thank Blambourne
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I went to Xaloc resort on January. I booked two nights via bestday.com. My reservation included a bungalow next to the pool and breakfast. When we arrived I was with a mild flu and noticed they didn't gave us a bungalow, but a room in a second floor far away from the pool. I didn't care because the weather was terrible and I was feeling sick, so I really didn't wanted to get into the pool. Next day, the breakfast table was almost empty at 9:00 (even though my reservation said breakfast was served until 10:00), and when I asked for bread they told me the truck didn't came to the island, so that was it: only granola and almost no yogurt (no fruits or anything else). The coffee was burned and tasteless. I was astonished because if there is no bread, maybe you can find something else inside the kitchen to give to the people in your resort. The next morning I asked for a doctor TWICE. The lady at the front desk told me she was going to call back and never did. And when I was doing the check out (finally) I asked why they gave us a room if we have paid for a bungalow, and the only thing I had as an answer was: 'we didn't have space, complain with best day'. Even though I looked, and there were at least two empty bungalows, due to the terrible weather conditions. I really think the money I spend in this place was the worst ever.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dorispalos
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My boyfriend and I had looked forward to this trip. We landed in rainy Cancun and Pepe our driver was friendly and chatty enough telling us that the rain had washed out some of the roads. He had an alternate route and away we went. Passing through several water logged towns I wondered about the lack of dranage systems in these towns. We arrived at Chiquila and instead of carrying our luggage to the ferry we paid $2 to drive up to the ferry! Ferry ride wasn't bad. About 20 minutes later we were on Holbox. The golf cart picked us up and carried us along flooded streets with craters full of water along every block up until we reached the hotel. Where was I on the moon? So much for walking to town in the evening. Checked in and the place seemed ok but the lounge chairs & tables by the pool where delapidated; the pool was filthy with no filtration happening; the lights in the room didn't come on right away but we figured they were not plugged in, especially mine which cord was wrapped in black electrical tape. Room very dark but looked like the photos an the website. Oh! Except the spiders crawling around the top of the shower!!! Went to see the beach with more dilapidated chairs & tables and tons of kelp for as far as the eye could see. Oh! the swim up bar pool was in just as bad a shape. We had full board but when I asked for a hamburger the waiter said no only fish and meat. ( A hamburger is meat isn't it ?). We decided upon a triple decker sandwich and 2 cokes. When we finished eating the waiter ran after me stating we had to pay for the sodas. That did it. My boyfriend and I vowed to leave the next day. He spoke with the manager who made all types of excuses, (Oh it's the rain that's why the pools haven't been cleaned and we don't have enough help to keep the beach clean.) She understood how we felt and helped my b/f make reservations for Temptation in Cancun. Needless to say when we got off the ferry and started the drive the sky opened up and it poured all the way back to Cancun. I was so dissapointed and the change in plans cost us an extra $500. So much for Holbox. I guess the Europeans can have it. The website is such a far cry for what the place is actually all about. Adios. Thanxs for the false advertisement.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Janis R
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The beach is beautiful. Adult pool was not working but the family pool was a nice place to take an afternoon dip. The Palupas and walk way are very pretty. The bed, bedding and pillows are very dated and thread bare. The room was clean. Staff was polite. My kids loved renting a golf cart and driving around the island. After seeing other properties I was disappointed in my decision. No comment on the restaurant because we ate out every night.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank NextVacationiswhen
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The service and pleasant room were really a highlight on our trip to see migrating whale sharks. The service was attentive and easygoing, the food, while a little limited, was good, and the overall atmosphere really added to a great vacation. The porch hammock in our palapa was a great spot to laze away some summer afternoons, and the pool was well maintained and a fine spot to cool off. The staff were helpful and very welcoming. Well worth a look.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple