“Worth all cents” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maitei Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Maitei Hotel
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Arraial d'Ajuda
“Worth all cents”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

Quite good location (10 adorable walk to city centre), staff is very supportive (they like to offer additional services; for those who are lonely it may be quite handy), rooms are big and with wonderful view (we chose beach view). Breakfast is delucious but they could serve "colder" fruits. That may be good or not but i guess the hotel was projected a way you will never meet the other guests

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Feserrao

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
brasilia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

I stayed with my wife at Pousada Maitei, It's very charming and romantic. It is near the restaurants and bars but it isn't noise. The beach it's right there, you just have to go down a street. I recommend the rooms on the second floor. The view is better and you have more privacy.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thiagojd
Basel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

We travel to Brazil frequently. We normally choose small pousadas or small places with few rooms. This time we chose a "bigger" place although the hotel/pousada is still fairly small.

Coming from Paraty we felt very disappointed when we saw the hotel was not located directly at the beach. Maybe I should have done more research but I seem to have missed that - I could not find that clearly described on the website, and Kuoni writes "directly at the beach of Mucugue" (we did not book via Kuoni, but we checked of course other descriptions). My mother is not so fit anymore and walking up a steep hill every day wasn't exactly what she was looking for. However, I take this on my account as I belive with some more research I would have found out about this not so unimportant detail.

So why the rating?

Rooms
I travelled with my fiancé and with my mother. Both rooms very different in size and I still don't understand why. My mothers rooms was bigger. It also had more facilities (extra desk and chair). The price we paid was the same...
None of our rooms had a window facing the ocean in the bathroom, as described. Both bathrooms had windows, though, but they could not be opened as the construction throughout the hotel is not well thought through - to open the window in our bathroom you had to climb into the bathtub first (!) and then to a wall and then you could open it. Very strange construction indeed. And I guess there are different room categories, which would have been great to know in advance.

As the detail in the bathroom with the windows that could not be opened here are some other details that require consideration:
- There are no umbrellas at the pool expect one with table and chairs (and this not be moved). So who would use a lounge chair on the roof top without an umbrella?!
- The pool area is actually very nice, but during our stay (6 nights) we did not see one person using it except of us once. It's nice but somehow not inviting.
There are other details, like the fact that when you come from the beach you walk through the hotel with sandy feet as there is no possibility to clean them...simple things.
Or the fact that we got locked out one evening at the terrace door locks automatically when you push the door - something to consider or to know at least in advance.
Or the simple fact that there is not even a desk on the balcony, only a simple chair. I think that does not speak of much effort there.

Transfer when we arrived at Porto Seguro airport was forgotten although confirmed by email - no problem, we took a cab ourselves. And the food concept also need reconsideration, it takes too long until food arrives (and again, I am writing this comparing with Brazilian standards).

But there are some postive things, too:
What makes this place a nice place, still, are the staff members. All very, very friendly and helpful, trying their very best. I'm glad Cecilia was there and a new person who spoke English, as the others only seem to speak Portuguese..we speak it a little, but it was difficult making arrangements.

I would also like to mention the breakfast: great choice of everything, very creative, very fresh.
And the cleanliness of the hotel: super clean place, bed linen changed daily (!) and this could definitely compete with any 5* hotel.

I would like to conclude this by saying that I have been to several places in Brazil, also Bahia, and I work in the travel industry myself. I understand Kuoni gives a 4* rating for this hotel and I'm really not sure about that. I think there is a lot of potential and especially the great team makes it fantastic place but maybe it would help if the owner was around also from time to time to see how the infrastructure (empty lounge, empty pool areas etc.) is used but also to see the positive things, e.g. how much of an effort his team is doing every day.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Nicole08
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2010

The pousada is charming. Both inside and outside. Nice lobby. Nice lounge area. Wonderful roof top terrasse with transats, pool, chairs, tables, and a fantastic view.

The rooms are really nice. Not big but with a wonderful bed and a nice, modern, clean deco. The owner seems to be an arquitect and he´s done a great job. All bathrooms have a nice jacuzzi for 2. Thay prepared it with petals and a bottle of sparkling wine as we said we were on a special occasion. Wonderful treat.

Excellent view from the balcony. 10 min walking you have excellent beaches; half of the way is along a not so nice beach, but still a very pleasant walk; you just have to be ready for the way back to the pousada, uphill.

the staff is great, always willing to serve and with good knowledge. Restaurant is excellent for the region and prices are moderate.

Maitei can be a good base to explore the region. It´s cheaper than the similar hotels in trancoso and it´s only a 50 min drive. You can go for a day visit.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jean_luc_s
Brasilia, DF
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2009

I stayed in Maitei Hotel with my husband and we just loved it.
The reservation process was simple, all made through the internet and very safe.
A very nice staff was waiting for us with welcome drinks, smiles and important information about the city.
The rooms are minimalistic elegant but rustic, matching perfectly with the beach and the relaxed feel of the city. A cozy balcony with a hammock completed the room.
The food (we had breakfast and dinner there) was delicious and the hotel staff was kind and helpful.
There is a wonderful terrace on top of the hotel, from where you can see the beach and the surroundings.
We selected the rooms in the highest floor of the hotel, but I saw some rooms which doors would open directly to the pool area. I imagine that if the hotel is full, these rooms are a bit noisy and less private.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paula N
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2009

I stayed at Maitei hotel with my husband and one more couple from England, we had a lovely time, the staff was very friendly and helpful.
The hotel is very modern....I tried to stay again in January/09 but it was fully booked.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank MitchellLondon
MaiteiHotel, Gerente geral at Maitei Hotel, responded to this review, 18 January 2016
We of the hotel are very happy to receive your feedback! We hope to receive you again very soon for another rewarding experience Maitei

Happy 2016!!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arraial d'Ajuda
Pousada Coqueiros
Pousada Catamara
Pousada Catamara
#4 of 20 in Arraial d'Ajuda
Sitio Sao Francisco - Pousada de Charme
Sitio Sao Francisco - Pousada de...
#11 of 20 in Arraial d'Ajuda
No photo provided
Villas de Trancoso Hotel
#1 of 12 in Trancoso
Saint Tropez Praia Hotel
Saint Tropez Praia Hotel
#7 of 20 in Arraial d'Ajuda

Been to Maitei Hotel? Share your experiences!