“good place to visit and stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Patrick

Hotel Patrick
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Juan Griego
Moscow, Russia
“good place to visit and stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

We were there with my wife. I liked this place with very frendly atmosphere. Mike and Carina are most funny people of this island.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

Michael, the owner of this typical backpacker hotel, is great. He makes great cocktails (invented by himself) and is extremely helpful, much more than most. The only problem is that, when he is not there, everything collapses into chaos! We were given a room with no light in the bathroom (Michael wasn´t there when we arrived) - but it was fixed after a few hours. The free wi-fi is generally being used by the family or employees (they leave when asked, but it is annoying to always have to ask). Flat-screen TV in living space is probably the family´s. The cleanliness is just OK and the presence of a small child and her appurtenances doesn´t help. However, the place is comfortable and very reasonably priced. We were told that it is a party-place, but this only happened one night when we were there, and it was a small party! We had no problem with noise, even though the rooms were being done up while we were there. Position is great, near the beach and easy walk to shops. Michael will organise trustworthy transport.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank razinha1
SC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Good clean rooms, no amenities, free wifi, friendly staff, nice area, plenty of nearby restaurants, away from touristy areas, Nearest decent beach is a 20 minute taxi ride away, Patrick can help you arrange day trips and knows the island. But be aware that the loud music, sometimes live, would go on all night, once until 5AM, there was an occurrence where the owner got drunk, berated one of his employees in public and upset several of the guests. Spent about 2 weeks there, could use a good coat of paint and touch ups, especially the pillows were worn out, but then he could charge double for the rooms. Overall a good value

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank s m
ElHotelPatrick, Manager at Hotel Patrick, responded to this review, 18 February 2012
I must confess that I was a bit bemused when I read this review from a guy from the States (Hi Sean) and his girlfriend. Nice folks - a bit reserved and they kept to themselves a lot, but very pleasant people all the same. Still, I was trying to figure out what was strange about this review, which makes it sound like our place is a raver venue. We have a 16 month old baby, so really, these days I personally try to get to bed early in the evening, compared to life before the baby arrived. So what was this about the music all night? And then it hit me. These guys were here over Christmas and the New Year!!!!! Of course there was music at nights - people were having a good time over the Christmas holidays. And the night when the live music went on until 5am was the night of 31st December!!!!!! Happy New Year. So come on Sean, I think that the picture you are painting of us is a bit unbalanced.

As for getting drunk one night - damn right I was, pissed as a fart. 1st January was my birthday, and what with the baby and the responsibilities of being a dad, I don´t often get the chance to go crazy these days. And it wasn´t a member of staff I was berating, it was an unwelcome and troublesome person in the bar (not a guest of the hotel) who had to be forcibly removed for causing offence to various members of staff. Sorry if I upset you folks, but that´s what happens when you have a bar - you have to deal with all kinds of tossers and sometimes you cannot always do it peacefully and quietly. Sorry if I shook you guys up a bit.

Now - amenities. We have a satellite TV with a vast DVD library of recent movies, a multi-language book library, free internet and wifi, a free pool table and we have just built a sun terrace and installed a swimming pool. And of course we have a decent Irish-style pub/bar. We have occasional live music and DJs. We run a travel agency and can book tickets and trips nationally and internationally. We can change money for you at a good exchange rate. Not bad for a small 10 room family hotel. So Sean, what did we not have that you needed?

As for the paint? yes, we are giving the place a bit of a repaint at the moment, it certainly needed it. Fair point. And the pillows? You were absolutely right - they are awful!!!! I didn´t realise: they are not really that old but I will certainly change them all over the next few weeks.

As Sean said, in the end I believe that our place is very good value for independent travelers and backpackers of all ages and nationalities. It is comfortable, friendly, clean and - most importantly for Venezuela - safe. And if you think the music is too loud, just ask a member of staff to turn it down a little!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

If you go to Isla de Margerita, stay at this hotel! The warmest welcome to Venezuela from the lovely Irish and Venezuelan owners really started it off nicely.

Great room, it had an AC and we could put a mosquito net up fairly easily. A good size and we felt really safe.

There were hammocks, a pool table (free), a sofa with tv and dvd collection, a bar stocked with a lot of Rum (poured very generously and for a very good price) and we were able to plan the next leg of our journey with Michael (the owner) who set us up to go to the Orinoco Delta to stay at an Eco Camp. There was a lady opposite the hotel who owned a restaurant, she cooked Venezuelan food which you could order to the hotel. We hadn't had any proper tastes of the typical Venezuelan food until that point. It was really beautiful.

We give our many thanks for their fantastic hospitality and we found it hard to top that hotel in the 4 months we traveled through South America.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LN9873
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

i loved my stay at Hotel Patrick. I even wrote a blog post about it :

They are the nicest people, super helpful with anything you could possibly need, and the hotel itself is the perfect mix of hotel privacy and hostel community, and for hostel prices. There are private room, each with their own bathroom, which all open up onto a communal garden/bar area. The area is relatively safe (i mean, dont be a dumb, you are still in venezuela), but i would walk around down to the fisherman markets in the morning with my DSLR to photo without problems.

I loved Hotel Patrick and Mick and his family, and would love to go back and visit there again! I totally recommend this place!

Room Tip: just ask mick. anything you need, just ask. he is super nice and will help you however he can.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Danielle B
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

I loved my stay at hotel patrick. I found the family very warm and friendly, extremely helpful and great when it came to helping us book trips and advice on local area. Very well looked after. Fun and welcoming with a great atmosphere. Would definitely recommend this hotel to travellers of all ages and interests. Had the best time ever!

Room Tip: ask for what you want. if its free, you'll get it!
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Turku, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2011

Concerning Isla de la Margarita I can't say that I have tried other hotels, but I will still call this the best hotel because the stay was so pleasant.

The room:
We stayed in room 6 for 10 nights in the end of November 2011. Room was clean and nicely chilled because of the AC. The AC was reeeeeally loud, but we had it on only in the days when we were away. We turned it off just before we went to bed and it was ok to sleep. It might even have been a little bit too cold with it on. Shower had warm water, the room was cleaned almost every day and we got an extra blanket when we asked for it. The price for the room was very nice compared to the normal price range.

The living area/reception/bar:
There were hammocks in the hotel, that were very nice to relax in. We also used the pool table and the common computer a lot. A small fridge to store drinks into were also available. The bar was filled with cheap alcohol and I even got a new vodka bottle bought for me. For people who don't drink beer or rum (such as me) I would have hoped for eg. Smirnoff Ice. Vodka with orange juice and especially specialities like Carina's passion fruit daiquris were though very nice!

The people:
Michael was extremely helpful with anything we needed! He booked us the tickets to the island, changed money, changed money with bank transfers, told us about places where to go and where to not go and where to eat. He also made us a plan for our day in Caracas, which turned out to be a totally new experience.
Other people that I want to specially acknowledge is Michael's wife Odalis, their little cute baby girl Eirinn and Alex, who supplied me with endless vodkajuices. Also Carina, who made the mouthwatering passion fruit daiquiris and Matthias, who made our scuba diving trip possible and also was a nice pool competitor and good story teller about places in the world to visit. You definitely can say that the athmosphere in the hotel got us some new friends :)
Three other small creatures that I especially miss is Brandy, Rati (Ratty?) and Meow Meow. They helped me survive the two weeks that I had to be away from my own animals :)

The safety:
Traveling to Venezuela usually wakes up thoughts about the safety. Concerning Hotel Patrick I can't say that I would have felt unsafe at any time. We left our money in the room in the drawer of the bedside table and it was all there safe and sound for the whole trip. The hotel gates were locked for the night and there was always a night guard. And Brandy and Rati took care of the rest :)

The location:
Juan Griego is a nice little fisherman's village. Hotel Patrick is situated 50m from the beach and one is able to see some splendid sunsets from there. You can't really swim at that beach, but a taxi to eg. Playa Caribe costs 20 bolivars (2€). Near the hotel there are some nice restaurants (try Carlos's Spanish food 50m to the left from the hotel or Elena's food for 35 bolivars (3,5€) across the road). The city centre is a 5 minutes walk away from the hotel. There you can find more restaurants, shops and so on. Near the hotel are grocery stores/liquer stores, bakeries and street food stands (empanadas and arepas, yummy!).

Our trip was a perfect break for the gloomy dark November and I already miss the sun.. I wanna thank everyone I met at the trip for making it special :)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
#3 of 8 in Pampatar
StevieWonderLand
StevieWonderLand
#1 of 12 in El Yaque

Been to Hotel Patrick? Share your experiences!