“What a trip!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Juan Griego
niederwünsch
“What a trip!”
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Went with my husband on a 3 week Caribbean island hopping trip and spend a few nights at Hotel Patrick at the beginning and the end. The rooms are very basic but totally acceptable. The owner and his wife were very helpful to say the least. Any question or plan we had they helped up organized it. Dolphin swimming, island booze cruise or jeep tour...they showed us around and where to go. We definitely plan to come again and enjoy their company. We didn't stay long, maybe 7 nights all together but it seemed like we made friends.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank mariakwright

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Trinidad
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Patrick in August, and really enjoyed my experience. Michael was an amazing host - he made the hotel a home away from home! Juan Griego has a lovely centre and great food: I recommend staying here for those who don't want to spend a fortune at other places on the island.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Marisa W
Paris
Reviewed 14 September 2013

The hotel is nicely located but the hotel in itself is really not to recommend !! There are 5 dogs running around, making their business in the garden which doesn't get cleaned so you have nice smell all day long, the tables are dirty and full of dog and cat hair and the floor is soooo full of pet hair that you better don't take off your shoes ! The perrot is screaming early in the morning as well as the little girl living there (no respect for the customers). The fridge which you are allowed to use is so dirty that you must be afraid of contamination.

Let's not talk about our room!! The toilet was leaking so the bathroom was wet all the time, the showercurtain was so disgusting that you feel completely uncomfortable to take a shower. We stayed for 5 days and nobody came to clean our room !! Really, we were totally disappointed !! The owners were not the nicest ever seen. When we arrived very late the room was not done although we had a reservation. Really strange that some people find this hotel so terrific !!???

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Jean c
ElHotelPatrick, Manager at Hotel Patrick, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Wow. When I read this I felt seriously as if I'd been beaten up by a gang of delinquents. Certainly amongst the most negative reviews we have ever received. I went back over our reservations trying to find out who these people were, so that I could try and workout why they were so unhappy. And I traced the root of the problem back to the same issue that gave rise to two other less than happy reviews posted 6th July and 13th August. All are based on the subject of the cleanliness of our place. As I have said in my responses to these two messages, the cause of the problem was the fact that our cleaner was taking her statutory 5 week holiday during the time when all these people were here.The reality of the situation in Venezuela is this. It would be virtually impossible to find a person to cover this job for a short period of time. Hotels all over the world suffer from the problem of cleaners stealing things from guests' rooms. This is especially true when you emply part-time and temporary workers, who have no commitment to the job nor loyalty to the owners. We try to avoid this problem here, by relying on my family to fill the gaps when staff take holidays. My 18 year old son was responsible for looking after general cleaniness, and it's very clear that he didn't do a good job at all. Mind you, he's off at college in Ireland now so I suppose he's thinking of other things.
Next time I will try to make sure I have volunteers from international schemes like Workaway or HelpX to cover these periods. So again, I apologise to any guests who suffered because of this.

I would point out that two other reviews posted around the same time were from people who really liked the place, so you obviously can't please all the people all the time.

One more message to anyone thinking of coming to stay with us. We own 4 dogs,1 cat, 4 tortoises and a parrot. And we have a 3 year old daughter. If you read through all these reviews, you will notice that they are frequently spoken about. in a very pleasant and positive way. They really are lovely, especially my cocker spaniel puppies (and my daughter!!!!). So if you don't like animals or children, rather than come here and be unhappy and criticise me and my extended family, please find a different place to stay. That way we will all be happier on our beautiful little island. Saludos.
Roma
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We stayed in Hotel Patrick with another couple and we really enjoyned our days there.
The hotel is located in Juan Griego on the north-east coast close to many nice beaches (nigth life is Porlamar and south coast).
We stay at ground floor and everything was perfect, according Venezuelan standards and price range. The real added value is Michael, a very friendly Irish man, generous and helpful in many situations: always ready to answer to your questions and share a beer with you. We had a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: 1st floor should be brigther and more windy
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Luca C
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 3 September 2013

When me and my husband arrived at the hotel it was very late and we were not very well received by the guy that showed us our room. The first thing I noticed is that they have dogs, which was a problem for me. I wanted to leave the next day.
The room was OK and clean, and I guess it was fair for the price we paid. The bed was not comfortable, neither was the sheets and the AC was either very cold or not cold at all, and very noisy. The hotel was clean, besides the dog poo here and there.
I really couldn't understand why it was number 1 on Trip Advisor.
The next morning we met Michael (the owner). I was ill from a bad food and he helped me. He was very kind and helped us in any way he could. And besides that, he was a very interesting person, with a very interesting story. Very funny guy. I guess he is the reason why Hotel Patrick is so well quoted.
We decided to stay because of him, but 2 days later my husband got sick too and we had to leave.
Michael is worth the visit if you like to stay in a place that is like being a guest at a friend's house.
But if you prefer a more traditional and comfortable hotel, Hotel Patrick is probably not the hotel for you. And Juan Griego has a beautiful sunset, but there's other places in Isla Margarita with a better infra-structure and more central.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tatiana G
glasgow
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Upon arrival into Hotel Patrick we were warmly greeted by Michael and his family. It was a great start and made us immediatly feel right at home. We ended up staying for just under a week and were sad to leave once our time was up.

Hotel Patrick is just 2 mins from the waterfront with a good beach for sunbathing just 10 minuest walk away (Cant remember the name of it) and another, Caribe beach, just 30bs away in a taxi. This was the one we usually went to as it was a bit nicer but both are good.

Michael was brilliant with us and even took the time to sit down and help us plan our travels round South America.

We would definately recommend staying here, we had originally been staying in Playa El Agua but this was not very nice and didnt feel as safe and comfortable as Hotel Patrick in Juan Griego. If our travels ever allow us to return to Margarita Island we will definatly head back to Hotel Patrick.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank agingerfraz
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I stayed almost a week in Juan Griego and was very happy to find the "Hotel Patrick". Michael and his wife are really lovely and I woukd definitely recommend anybody to stay here. The rooms are really good and cheap and if you have a question , Michael can help you out ! Therefore - 10 out of 10 ! :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
#2 of 8 in Pampatar
Puerta Del Sol Porlamar
Puerta Del Sol Porlamar
#11 of 23 in Porlamar

Been to Hotel Patrick? Share your experiences!