Hunter Hideaway Cottages
Tonic Hotel(Pokolbin)
Pindari House(Lochinvar)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsoverseas visitorsdusk and dawnpeaceful locationgas firesemillonkangarooscabinprivacypropertyhunterweekendaccommodationblindstranquilitywine
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I cannot believe the reviews on the hunter hideaway, that I have read here. There is absolutely nothing dirty or smelly about this place, it is quite the opposite.

I first stayed with my girlfriend in 2001 and I have visited again five times over the years, I have only ever brought family that are visiting us from Ireland and the UK. They all rave about the place and have always come away with wonderful memories. We are now married with a six year old and she loves the place. There are so many animals and little forests to walk around.

The cottages are very seperate, you can stay up playing music without bothering the neighbours, in fact you can't even see the neighbours, it is so quiet and peaceful and at one with nature. I don't bring friends because I'm afraid they will tell too many people and spoil the whole experience. It's our little secret!!!

I would absolutely recommend a weekend in the cottages, they are beautfully presented and always spotless cleans, with your own barbi at your doorstep. They are completely ECO friendly and the kangaroos are literally all around you. This place is about peace and tranquility NOT fancy spas and 32 inch TV's.

This place is a little piece of heaven.

The Burke Family (Originally from Dublin)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank gordonbee
Reviewed 17 June 2010

We were pleasantly surprised having read the terrible reviews AFTER the booking was made. We would definitely stay here again. We brought with us sheets, doonas & towels because the reviews sounded so dodgy. However, we didn't need them. The bed linen was fresh and clean. Bedding consisted of thick sheets, warm blankets and doonas, so we stayed lovely and warm during the freezing cold nights in the HV. The bath towels were thick and absorbent. No musty mouldy smells. Plenty of crockery, utensils, pots/pans etc. TV and DVD worked no problem. Instructions supplied on how to work everything (oven, microwave, gas heater, bbq, tv/dvd), plus info on local attractions. There were gas bbqs, although one of the burners didn't work - still usable though. We also had a fire. We booked 2 cabins. The first cabin was for my family (2 adults, 2 kids) and my parents (2 grandparents). We stayed in a bedroom with queen sized bed and bunks with plenty of space for suitcase etc. My parents room was a decent size with queen sized bed, chest of drawers and hanger for coats etc. The second cabin housed my sister & her family (2 adults, 3 kids). Their cabin had 1 bedroom with queen sized bed, chest of drawers, hanger and the 2nd bedroom had 2 bunks (ie 4 beds) with plenty of space to move around. What I liked about this place was that there was heaps of space to play soccer, cricket etc, ride bikes, go bush walking or exploring, watching kangaroos and birds. It was very easy to walk between the 2 cabins which were spaced out far enough so that if you only booked one cabin there was privacy (each cabin has trees separating them from each other). Another thing I liked was how the grass was mowed - no worries about sneaky snakes while playing soccer! It was the perfect place for families, we'd go out wine tasting or to the HV Gardens and then come back and let the kids burn of energy and have fun. The location and distance was fine, you have to drive anyway to get around. For the June long weekend, this place was fine.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 January 2010

Booked a cottage months in advance, showed up to find that people where already in our cottage. Called the owner, who was 1.5 hours away and didn't have anyone at receiption to clear up the mess. Turns out these other people just turned up and he gave them our cottage because one of the girls first names started with a K and so did my wife's. No verification of full name or confirmation number was requested by the owner. Then he refused to take any responsibiliity for his mistake and left us without any place to stay. A responsible business owner would have offeredo put us up somewhere else, but he just said it wasn't his fault and left us without a place to stay. DO NOT STAY!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 October 2009

We booked through Wotif thinking the cottages looked good, how deceiving photographs can be!!!!
We arrived and struggled to find anyone so we could checkin, eventually met the owner as we driving out the driveway, he nonchalantly asked us if we were enjoying our stay!! We told him we were trying to checkin. We were given a 3 minute orientation of the cottage and he was off.
On closer examination we discoverd the fridge didn't work although the freezer did, the rest of the kitchen was dirty, needed a good scrub everywhere, the bathroom was disgusting a shower matt that hadn't been cleaned for years by the look of it. The BBQ was dangerous, only worked on 2 burners
We left a day early for the refuge of the Mecure Resort.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2009

The shower curtain was covered in mildew. The towels were of the non-absorbent, slide all over your body type. My hairdryer blew the fuse for the cabin. There was no gas in the BBQ gas bottle. TV didn't work. Pillows and blankets were smelly. All up a highly disappointing experience. I would have preferred an impersonal budget hotel instead of this - at least they tend to be clean!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple