“Concert Weekend Away in the Hunter”

Hunter Valley Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Rothbury B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Concert Weekend Away in the Hunter”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Fabulous stay at Hunter Valley B&B. The room was clean, comfortable and had everything we needed. Julie at Hunter Valley Bed and Breakfast was the perfect host. She helped us lots trying to find further accommodation for the rest of the weekend and phoned us to let us know we had left something behind. Lovely breakfast, great setting nice and quiet and tucked away with stunning views. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Higgsy26

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My family stayed only one night and we were very happy with everything. Friendly host, clean & tidy rooms, plenty of food for the breakfast, quite but convenient location. There was no problem with the shower for all our families (8 people), plenty of hot water. Also seeing wild kangaroos was an extra bonus for the kids to stay here. Thank you for everything, Julie.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Port Sorell, Australia
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Wonderful Host, couldn't do enough for making me feel welcome
Fresh Continental Breakfast, perfectly sufficient
Room not overly spacious but charming and adequate
Lovely location regarding quiet and tranquil, far off the road
Great, lovable dog (I wanted to take him home.)

I read another review re the shower with 'lights and alarms'. This was not my experience. I only found a small notice in the shower reminding city folk that the country B&B was on tank water and that a 3-5 min. shower would be appreciated. The countryside needs rain, so I think that a courtesy reminder is fair enough.

I most certainly would come here again and recommend it as a quiet, welcoming place.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be good with their own private entrance. I was in a room facing the back with vie...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Pros:
Room was very nice
bathroom great
Great dog to play with!!
Very relaxing
Host wonderful
Would stay again
Great tea selection

cons:
Breakfast was a not particularly plentiful. it was a basic continental breakfast

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Grace N
Julie M, Manager at Hunter Valley Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Grace, thank you for taking the time to review our bed and breakfast. We have a continental breakfast Monday- Friday, Saturday and Sunday is a cooked breakfast as well in which the price reflects this.
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We would not recommend this bed and breakfast for a number of reasons. Room, while extremely clean, was very small; after being in the shower for three minutes an alarm sounds and the light flashes as they are dependant on rain water; the coffee machine was broken; and when we came back for breakfast as our balloon ride was cancelled, the owner claims she did not hear us and another couple knocking on the door, ringing her doorbell and ringing the telephone, and she did not answer the door. People have commented about a hot breakfast. We were later told (email from the owner) it is a breakfast worth $5 per person which includes fresh fruit, toast, yoghurt, tea or coffee. There is no lighting from the front door to the car park area which is quite dangerous and scary when leaving at 4.30am for the balloon ride. Red Balloon have been most helpful in their response to our concerns.

Room Tip: We did not get a warm reception on arrival and the email response by the owner following raising our...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Denise T
Dear Denise,
I really don't understand your angst against my business and myself, firstly we have no light or alarm in the shower, what we do have is a kind note expressing that we are on tank water please limit your shower to 5 minutes. Secondly the coffee machine is not broken , Mayne you just weren't listening when I explained how to use it and we also supply plunger coffee as well ad a selection of teas.
But Most of all you were offered a half price return for your accommodation so your daughter could enjoy her balloon flight which was a voucher given to her.
Denise as I have mentioned in an email, why haven't you called me to discuss your breakfast, instead of all these untrue remarks being made and now you have a refund for your balloon package over untrue statements.
This truly saddens me as your daughter who's voucher it was can now not enjoy a wonderful experience as you claim at 5.30am I would not get up to attend to you.
Please use your energy on more constructive things rather then trying to defame my business with untrue statements.
Jersey - GB
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I chose this B&B thanks to online reviews. It is hard to find fault with this B&B. Julie was warm and welcoming and full of great suggestions, such as the "Two Fat Blokes" half day winery tour as well as arranging us dinner at a nearby pub in Branxton which included a very convenient free minibus pick up and drop off service.

The house has a real rural isolation to it making it peaceful and relaxing. You'll even spot kangaroos in the woodland as you come in through the driveway. Then I must mention "Mojo", the utterly adorable collie dog.

The bedrooms and en-suite bathrooms are a little on the small side but they are spotlessly clean and well appointed, each room opening out onto the delightful wrap-around veranda.

I would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MatthewGreen
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My boyfriend and I have stayed twice now and we love it. The hospitality, the room and the breakfast are all fantastic. Julie the owner is very welcoming and she makes you feel like home. We are very thankful!

• Stayed November 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothbury
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley
#6 of 15 in Pokolbin
Pokolbin Village
Pokolbin Village
#5 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Hunter Valley Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!