“One of the best things I did in NZ”

The Legendary Black Water Rafting Co.
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Black Water Rafting Waitomo Caves Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Waitomo’s Original Black Water Rafting Operator & Legendary for 30 Years! We’ve been sharing thrills and excitement for over 3 decades and have experienced guides who’ll take you safely through the stunning underworld of Ruakuri Cave. We will take you deep underground on the most unreal subterranean journey that’ll have you begging for more! After you’ve jumped off a few waterfalls and pushed yourself to the limits, warm up with a hot shower and treat yourself to some hot soup on bagels, on us. Black Labyrinth: The original Waitomo black water rafting tour that will have you exploring and tubing through mysterious Ruakuri Cave. Grab a group of mates, some rubber tubes, and let’s take you on an unreal underground adventure you will never forget. Black Abyss For the ultimate in adventure caving tours, look no further than the Black Abyss. You'll descend into the black, seemingly bottomless depths of Ruakuri Cave, zipline through a gallery of illuminating glowworms and climb underground.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This was definitely one of the coolest things I did in NZ. I mean, where else can you go tubing, underground, in a glow worm cave? I did the Black Labyrinth tour, which lasted about 3 hours or so. Our guides were Lucas and Jah--funny guys and good leaders who were very knowledgeable about the caves and the surrounding area. There was a lot of rainfall in the days prior to the trip, so the water was running high, which made the ride all the more exciting. The water didn't even really feel all that cold. It was initially when we first jumped in, but once we got going we got distracted by what was going on around us and forgot about being cold. Watching the glow "worms" twinkling up high on the cave ceilings was magical. And the hot showers and complimentary hot soup and bagels at the end was much appreciated. An experience I won't forget! Would do again if I make it back up to Waitomo!

1  Thank salvarado31189
Write a ReviewReviews (1,774)
All reviews
in 40 reviews
"a lot of fun"
in 58 reviews

Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

I actually did this back in March 2011 but the calendar won't let me go back that far. This was incredible spelunking trip, from rappelling into the cave to zip lining to tubing under the glow worms and crawling up waterfalls. The guides were friendly and helpful, brought us hot cocoa and snacks. I was the only girl on my tour and still had a blast. Got a little cold but was totally worth it.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I admit-I was nervous about our Waitomo Caves adventure. I don't love heights and I have no experience mucking around in caves. IT WAS A BLAST. My boyfriend and I loved every single bit of it. We did the Black Abyss, so we got to rappel, flying fox, tube, and climb up the waterfalls. Every step was absolutely amazing, and there were always easier options (stairs instead of jumping into the underground river, for example) for anyone that wasn't feeling quite up to the adventure. We had warm drinks and snacks two times while we were underground to help warm us up. The guides were incredibly friendly and put everyone at ease.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I have been lucky enough to experience many adventures around the world (including caving) and the Black Abyss Tour is now at or near the top of my list. Our guides (Katie and Scuba) were extremely capable and fully engaged with us. I always felt safe and prepared, and the gear kept me warm as we floated, slithered, and waded our way through the water. I am almost 50 years old and only in reasonable shape but the activities were never tiring. Some agility, comfort in the darkness, and a willingness to go into confined spaces are important. And be sure to bring your spirit of adventure. You will not regret it. Every time we reached what must be a pinnacle, it just kept getting better!

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My husband and I did the Black Abyss Tour on the 20th September. Our guides were Keenan and Scuba, both had great expertise and knowledge in the activities, fauna, geological land formations and the history of the area. They were both professional, supportive and charismatic. We loved every aspect of the 5 hour adventure and believe that the legendary black water rafting co has thought of everything in creating this exhilarating, challenging and memorable package. We always felt safe and supported during each activity and loved the little extras like the hot chocolate and cookie while laying back watching the 'glow worms' and the hot gatorade and chocolate before embarking on another section of the caves. I would definitely recommend this company and this particular adventure to anyone wanting to experience the magnificence of New Zealand.