“Adorable”

Waitomo Caves Guest Lodge
Xiamen, China
“Adorable”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Our stay here was absolutely adorable! Colin and Janet are such welcoming hosts, we felt like we were staying in their spare room. They will give you plenty of tips for restaurants, tours, and local smaller walks. The rooms are really clean and cozy, not run down or stuffy like some other NZ guest lodges, I really loved the little box with Colin's homemade cookies. Such a nice personal touch, which is exactly how our stay there felt. Don't forget to check out their garden!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charlotte D
colinWaitomo, Owner at Waitomo Caves Guest Lodge, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
We are so pleased you enjoyed your star with us in Waitomo, one of the nicest places in New Zealand.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the lodge on 13 May. I was impressed by the hospitality shown by Colin and Janet. They were very informative and offered valuable advice on travel planning. In addition, the lodge was a nice and cozy place to stay, with a good restaurant just opposite to it. I will certainly recommend it to my family and friends if they are to visit Waitomo.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yuenyeem
colinWaitomo, Owner at Waitomo Caves Guest Lodge, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay in our B&B in Waitomo Caves Village
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Extremely helpful hosts. We wanted to check-in before our caving tour at 11am and leave our bags, but we were running late and had to do our 5 hr caving trip first. Arriving around 4pm they greeted us with open arms letting us know everything that was around to do/see/eat. We ended up doing quite a few of their suggestions. There is a temporary bar (old one burnt down) right next door that had amazing fish and chips, oh and local beer. After that, they had flashlights on the back table to you could go to the little national park hike at night and see some more glow worms up close. It was about a 15min hike from the car park and probably 10 minute drive.

The room was clean and tidy. Had wonderful homemade biscuits and an excellent view with a nice patio since we were the room next to the sliding doors into the hosts house. We ended up having to check out early to hike the Tongariro Alpine Crossing (which I recommend doing), so we didn't get to stay and eat breakfast, but I'm sure it was delicious. The hosts actually looked up the weather the day before to see if the Tongariro Alpine Crossing was actually going to be do-able since it all depends on the weather and brought over a print out to our room.

This family goes above and beyond to ensure guests have an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Our room had a great view upstairs. We stayed in the room right next to the hosts so we also had a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
colinWaitomo, Owner at Waitomo Caves Guest Lodge, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Sorry you had to leave so early to get to the Tongariro crossing, therefor missing breakfast. Perhaps you can stay and relax more next time!
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Colin and Janet made my one night in Waitomo unforgettable. It's a sweet, comfy-cozy place with self-contained cabins (with all the luxuries). Lovely people, tasty home-made shortbread biscuits waiting in the cabin, and right next to Spellbound Tours, where the glowworm tours depart from. Easy. Charming. So glad I found this place!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Thanks for the review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the Spellbound tour from next door.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 5 May 2014

In Waitomo there are certainly not many choices of accommodation, but the choice is even made easier by the lovely lodge of Janet, Colin and Gypsy (their deaf dog).
We were staying in a twin room with own bathroom. The rooms are very clean and nicely decorated. I have to confess that I felt a bit like visiting my grandparents and that is certainly a very good thing, as I always feel at theirs like home. The room rates include breakfast, which is continental breakfast: Toast, croissants, muesli, fresh fruits, yoghurt, a variety of spreads (homemade jam, hazelnut spread, honey), coffee and a great choice of different teas.
Colin recommended to take a walk after sun set to see glow worms for free, he provided a map, torch and detailed directions (but I have to confess that the pricey Glowworm Cave tour was more impressive, maybe we were unlucky with the conditions that night, so that only a few worms were to see - but free is free ;) )
We were only staying for one night, as our flight schedule did not allow a longer stay.
I shouldn't forget to mentions Colin's homebaked biscuits which are provided in the room - yummy!!!
The bathroom utensils are not the standard bad smelling hotel soaps, but really pleasant soaps and shampoos, which made me not use my own :)
Parking space is available without a problem. Free wifi available, the signal is very strong (at least in lodge 5).
The hosts will be glad to help you with reservations in the local eateries, as Waitomo has limited offers it might be necessary to have a reservation at times.
Overall it was a great stay, Colin and Janet make their guests feel very welcome.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the review. Hopefully we will see you again in the not too distant future.
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The room was clean, nice and pleasant; you get free coffee&tea (self-service, in the room); the breakfast buffet is splendid; he location is very close to the Waitomo Caves i-site and restaurants and only 10 minutes walk away from Waitomo Glowworm Cave. It is very quiet. The hosts are very friendly and helpful. I got a lot of extra information and really felt at home.

Room Tip: I suppose all rooms are good. (Only) my room (most at behind) had no wifi access.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
colinWaitomo, Owner at Waitomo Caves Guest Lodge, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thanks for the review. We are in the middle of Waitomo Caves Village so everything is very close to us.
Wifi is available all around the property. The only exception is inside room #6. This should be overcome when I get the external arial repositioned.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 1 night in March. Wautoma doesn't offer much as the town has 2 restaurants, a bar, a post office and a tourism office.

Colin checked me in and was super friendly and very helpful with explaining the different tour options. My room was a studio with 2 twin beds. It was a bit tight if you were sharing but the beds were comfy. Also, the bathroom was quite new and bright which was nice. There were also plenty of windows so I had a nice breeze overnight. There was laundry available but I didn't use it. I left early the next morning so missed breakfast. Overall, it was a lovely stay and I would recommend a visit here.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
colinWaitomo, Owner at Waitomo Caves Guest Lodge, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thanks for the review. Hopefully next time spend some more time in and around Waitomo and stay for breakfast.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waitomo Caves
Caves Motor Inn
Caves Motor Inn
#3 of 5 in Waitomo Caves
Otorohanga and Waitomo Motels

Been to Waitomo Caves Guest Lodge? Share your experiences!