“Unique and ludicrously good value.”
Review of Te Tiro

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waitomo Caves
Te Tiro
Reviewed 11 February 2014

When reviewing this I sat back and thought of many of the places I have been… Lots were flash and expensive, some were located in amazing places but I can honestly say that I have never stayed in a place like this and can't remember being so happy with a place that I have stayed.

The "chalet" style lodgings are rustic, unobtrusive and fit in perfectly with their surrounds. They are comfortable, clean and have everything that you need. I would have been happy with just the cabin and the beautiful area but then there is THAT view and THAT glow worm grotto. I sat looking down the beautiful valley and could not believe that we had stumbled onto such an amazing place. We then walked down through the forest to the grotto and were further blown away. This is without doubt bone of the most unique and amazing places that I have stayed in. If anything, I am annoyed for not arranging additional nights. I will be back but you should all do yourself a favour and check this place out.

Further to the accommodation, the Management are genuinely nice and accommodating. There was a real warmth that you just don't see in many other places…

For a truly unique and worthwhile experience, by-pass somewhere else and spend some time at Te-Tiro. You'll thank me later.

Room Tip: they are all good!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 February 2014

It is very hard to imagine a place based on reviews or some photos taken by someone else. Sometimes you just have to check things out for yourself. We did at Te Tiro and were blown away. The rustic "chalet" style lodgings are perfect for the amazing spot… Looking down the valley in Waitomo- is breathtaking and can be viewed out your window or sitting on the deck. The chalets are neat, tidy, comfortable and have everything you need but given the location, a tent and a Mars bar probably would have made us happy!
And then… on top of all of this was the glow-worm grotto…. Amazing.
Further to the accommodation and location, the owners of the property needed to be singled out for their warm and accommodating service. Genuinely nice people who seem to love what they do and who were happy to help out.

One of the best and truly unique places that we have stayed in. EVER. The location scores a 6 out of 5.

Room Tip: All rooms are good!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Cycling the hills over from Kawhia around the harbor and then along Te Anga road added up to the biggest climbs we ever had in a day but it was worth it. Not just the lovely cottages, but just alone they views of beautiful Waikato and King Country. Could have just watched for hours.
Local cats come for a visit and hey, not many people have their personal glowworm grotto just a few meters from their doorstep. Finally add Rachel, the fantastic host, and you got everything that makes this place so special. Great find!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Our honeymoon trip was five week long, everyday was exciting so naturally we were exhausted daily. Te Tiro was so cozy and comfy, I don't remember much about our first night except that I woke up 120% recharged the next morning. Then I met Rachel who was so gracious and friendly. I also had the pleasure in meeting my husband's new acquired best friend, Ratbag. What a hyper cat!! Rachel was also very generous with stocking breakfast in the pantry. We brought some free ranch eggs and bacon in a local store and made what we considered the best breakfast ever. Not to mention their amazing scenery, but seriously, they have glowworms onsite! This place worth every penny. Would love to go back again with our future children!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I'm so glad we stayed at Te Tiro in Waitomo, despite being a little outside the village, this place is a gem! The night we stayed the weather was terrible but we still poked our heads out to visit their private glowworm grotto.

The highlight of our stay was when Rachel invited us into her home for a drink and a chat. This lovely personal touch was appreciated on our honeymoon.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We decided to book both cabins for a couple of nights and absolutely loved it and it was hard to leave. Firstly the cabins are so cute and cosy and the bed super comfortable. Sitting out on the verandah with a cup of tea was one of the most relaxing tranquil times I spent in New Zealand. The little grotto with glow worms just magical. My husband and I were in one cabin and the kids aged 17, 20 and 21 were in the other and these 'wired up and plugged in' kids were just as enchanted, no need for tv and internet... just enjoy the company, the surrounds, the cats and unwind.

Thank you Rachel and Angus, welcoming beautiful people, Rachel even scrubbed our grease covered jeans for us after we had to repair a flat tyre earlier in the day while we settled in for with a cuppa... all things supplied.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This little house is a great place to stay in if you're a family of four or less! This cozy cabin has a queen sized bed and two single beds up above. It comes with a kitchen, dining table and a sense of adventure. If you like incredible views and inexpensive accommodation then you've chosen the right place!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family