Te Tiro
Woodlyn Park(Waitomo Caves)
US$124
US$118
Glow Worm Motel(Waitomo Caves)
US$76
US$74
Hotwire.com
Waitomo Caves Hotel(Waitomo Caves)
US$90
US$83
Kiwi Paka(Waitomo Caves)
US$69
US$50
  • Restaurant
Caves Motor Inn(Waitomo Caves)
US$91
US$72
  • Restaurant
Otorohanga and Waitomo Motels(Otorohanga)(Great Value!)
US$87
US$78
Priceline
Rosetown Motel(Te Awamutu)(Great Value!)
US$93
Park Lodge Motel(Te Awamutu)
US$67
US$62
  • Room Service
US$82
US$74
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
All reviewsglow worm grottofront porchthe cottagesseparate buildingnew zealandone nightan amazing placerain gearshort walknext morningprivate bathroomhot platebed was comfortableangusrachelcabinsheep
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Thanks Trip Advisor for helping us find this unique spot. My husband and I with another couple were doing a relatively high-end trip across New Zealand but when I found Te Tiro on your site I was captivated by the photos and reviews. The two guest cabins are very clean, small and rustic but fit perfectly into the rural setting that features one of the most gorgeous views imaginable. Our warm, welcoming host Angus joined us on the porch for a glass of wine and a chat about this beautiful property that has been in his family for 100 years. His two young nieces and two cats appeared through the brush and helped entertain us. Afterwards, on Angus' invitation, my husband and I wandered through the pastures set on these lush green hills while the sunset cast a warm light on the sheep and cattle. Once it was dark we ventured down the jungly trail to the small glow worm grotto that looked just like a wall of stars.
Te Tiro ranks as one of the most memorable accommodations in all my travels. We stayed in many more luxurious places during our trip to NZ but I would not have missed this one for the world. The website suggests that you bring take-away with you for your evening meal since the closest restaurant is a fair distance down a very winding dark road and I would advise that as well.
If you are after the unique, rural, rustic and beautiful you will certainly love Te Tiro as much as we did. And...it is a great value for a special experience.

Room Tip: Both cabins are the same. Be aware that they are small and the bathrooms are separate but very close by. Do not expect luxurious but come with a sense of adventure. It was difficult to take good photos of the interior of the cabins but there are good ones on the website.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2014

When reviewing this I sat back and thought of many of the places I have been… Lots were flash and expensive, some were located in amazing places but I can honestly say that I have never stayed in a place like this and can't remember being so happy with a place that I have stayed.

The "chalet" style lodgings are rustic, unobtrusive and fit in perfectly with their surrounds. They are comfortable, clean and have everything that you need. I would have been happy with just the cabin and the beautiful area but then there is THAT view and THAT glow worm grotto. I sat looking down the beautiful valley and could not believe that we had stumbled onto such an amazing place. We then walked down through the forest to the grotto and were further blown away. This is without doubt bone of the most unique and amazing places that I have stayed in. If anything, I am annoyed for not arranging additional nights. I will be back but you should all do yourself a favour and check this place out.

Further to the accommodation, the Management are genuinely nice and accommodating. There was a real warmth that you just don't see in many other places…

For a truly unique and worthwhile experience, by-pass somewhere else and spend some time at Te-Tiro. You'll thank me later.

Room Tip: they are all good!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 February 2014

It is very hard to imagine a place based on reviews or some photos taken by someone else. Sometimes you just have to check things out for yourself. We did at Te Tiro and were blown away. The rustic "chalet" style lodgings are perfect for the amazing spot… Looking down the valley in Waitomo- is breathtaking and can be viewed out your window or sitting on the deck. The chalets are neat, tidy, comfortable and have everything you need but given the location, a tent and a Mars bar probably would have made us happy!
And then… on top of all of this was the glow-worm grotto…. Amazing.
Further to the accommodation and location, the owners of the property needed to be singled out for their warm and accommodating service. Genuinely nice people who seem to love what they do and who were happy to help out.

One of the best and truly unique places that we have stayed in. EVER. The location scores a 6 out of 5.

Room Tip: All rooms are good!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Cycling the hills over from Kawhia around the harbor and then along Te Anga road added up to the biggest climbs we ever had in a day but it was worth it. Not just the lovely cottages, but just alone they views of beautiful Waikato and King Country. Could have just watched for hours.
Local cats come for a visit and hey, not many people have their personal glowworm grotto just a few meters from their doorstep. Finally add Rachel, the fantastic host, and you got everything that makes this place so special. Great find!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Our honeymoon trip was five week long, everyday was exciting so naturally we were exhausted daily. Te Tiro was so cozy and comfy, I don't remember much about our first night except that I woke up 120% recharged the next morning. Then I met Rachel who was so gracious and friendly. I also had the pleasure in meeting my husband's new acquired best friend, Ratbag. What a hyper cat!! Rachel was also very generous with stocking breakfast in the pantry. We brought some free ranch eggs and bacon in a local store and made what we considered the best breakfast ever. Not to mention their amazing scenery, but seriously, they have glowworms onsite! This place worth every penny. Would love to go back again with our future children!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple