“Great people, great breakfast”

Abseil Breakfast Inn
Portage, Michigan
“Great people, great breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

My wife and I stayed one night at the Abseil Inn while doing the glow worm caves the next day. Helen and her husband were very nice and accommodating to our late arrival. The place was clean, but we did have a few cob webs and spiders in the room I had to clean up myself. However, breakfast was absolutely fantastic, Helen had a bag with towels and shampoo for us to take to the cave and they provided great advice and suggestions on food and travel in the area. All in all this was a nice place to stay if your staying the night in Waitomo.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
abseil, Owner at Abseil Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
We are very happy that you enjoyed our hospitality and breakfast.

Yes indeed, my DaddyLongLegs are of most vigourous stock and can achieve a lot in 24 hours, despite my daily rearranging of them and their structures of silk. In this instance, due to a brief illness, I was unable to check your room that day.

I decline to spray the building for spiders as the destruction carries on up the delicate food chain; however I am always happy to wield the vacuum cleaner against any livestock in rooms.

I am truly sorry your Waitomo experience was clouded by in this instance by Spiders and webs.

Helen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I visited the Abseil Inn on my honeymoon in April. We stayed in the Farm Room and were extremely charmed by the decorations as well as the nice view outside. The Abseil Inn is within reasonable walking distance from the glowworm caves, as well as several adventure outfitters and our favorite restaurant in town, Huhu. Our breakfast in the morning was phenomenal (Eggs cooked in bacon grease, YES!) as was the view out the breakfast room. It was a nice, quiet evening for us (there was only one other couple staying there and they were on the other side of the inn) and the hospitality was great. I couldn't recommend this place more, it was one of our favorite lodgings on our entire trip.

Room Tip: Get the farm room on the corner for a more quiet evening as well as a nice view!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at Abseil Inn in April 2014 along with some overseas friends who were making their first visit to New Zealand. We wanted a place to stay that was close enough to Waitomo township to where we wouldn't have to drive far in order to make it to a morning cave tour.

It was a good decision. We were warmly welcomed, shown to our rooms which were clean and nicely furnished; most importantly the bathroom passed my wife's test: It was well-lighted, well-ventilated, with no dirt to be seen.

Breakfasts are cooked to order and taste great.

Our overseas friends enjoyed the place as much as we did. If you need a place to stay in Waitomo, Abseil Inn should be on your short list.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

This beautiful lodge is located ideally for Waitomo caves and various eateries. There is a large shared dining/living area to relax in, and the breakfast was fantastic. The hosts went beyond their duty in giving us a lift to the station and some great recommendations for our next stop. We only wish we had more time to stay here!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night only while visiting the Waitomo Caves on our way from Rotorua back to Auckland. Wished we were able to stay longer as we enjoyed it so much. We booked this place based on all the glowing reviews and we were not disappointed. Everything lived up to our high expectations! John and Helen were friendly and helpful from the moment we called to book. We met Helen on arrival and got her tips on what to order at Huhu Cafe. The room and house felt really cosy and the awesome view and quiet surroundings made it very relaxing especially after our driving and sightseeing. Enjoyed a nice cup of tea before a wonderful dinner across the road at Huhu cafe. Really appreciated the fast wifi available too so we could contact our family back home.
Unsurprisingly, breakfast was amazing. Had to try the Waitomo eggs which were delicious as well as all the other dishes. My husband made sure to try one of their many specially blended cereals and he said it was very tasty. Enjoyed trying out all the different honey and butter. We had a long day on the road ahead of us so we really appreciated the large and filling breakfast we had.
Nikki gave us some great tips on sand boarding which was where we were headed to next.
Definitely a place we hope to come back to if we visit NZ North Island.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Abseil Inn has all the qualities of a good bed and breakfast. Clean accommodation, comfy bed,
lovely room, however, what made it the best bed and breakfast are the people! There's a lot of highlights during our stay to name a few are Helen's humour, ginormous breakfast spread, extra crispy bacon made by Nikki *winks*, John's Waitomo eggs with the special sauce, and his collection of honey, gigantic amount of breakfast, watching an eye-opening NZ documentary called Black Sheep, meeting Jesus and the endless conversations with the family, not to mention the lovely pottery plates and chubby mugs! I loved it so much, we drove past Splashy to purchase it but unfortunately they don't make it anymore. :(

We had such a great time chatting during our breakfast, we were late for our Ruakari Cave tour. Huhu cafe is nearby and highly recommended, Nikki told us to try the peanut butter parfait and it was divine! On the first night, we went to Morepork for the pizza and it was pretty good too. We loved our stay, thanks to the host Helen, Nikki and John. Nikki is so awesome, she should be the marketing manager for NZ tourism in my opinion. :)

Room Tip: All rooms are nice and comfortable. They have one room with spa and another room with additional sin...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed at this place for one night and I was given the cave room. I throughoutly enjoyed my stay, the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was very tasty. John and Helen are the perfect host and they are also very friendly. I am very impressed with the collection of books in the guest lounge - they have more than novels! This was my first night in New Zealand and it set off a great start for what would be one of the best holidays and countries I have ever had/visited!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo