“Cold, dirty and overpriced”

and 1 more site!
Otorohanga Holiday Park
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is one of those accomodation experiences where you wash your hands, dry them with the towel then realize you need to wash them again because you touched the very old and unpleasant looking hand towel.
The dish cloth (as pictured) was stained dark brown and so greasy it was resistant to water. I'm familiar with this particular brand and it is usually white with red and blue stripes, certainly never brown.
The curtains had mold spots.
The pillows were stained and only had one thin pillow slip over the stuffing. As we know pillows are a proven carrier of germs and need adequate cover when used frequently.
The bedding was damp. The mattresses hard. The lower bunk mattress was so thin you could feel the individual bed slats beneath it as you tried to sleep. There was no electric blanket or heater in that particular room and it was a cold winter night. The noisy heater in the main room turned on and off all night.
Its a little thing but we had to remake all the beds as they'd been a way where the top edge of the sheet was level with the blankets and couldn't be folded over them for hygiene sake.
The only seating options for watching the old square TV were kitchen chairs. The expel air in the bathroom was excessively noisy. It came on automatically when you turned on the light and ran for a few minutes after you turned it off so it was hard to avoid the noise.
Room was incredibly expensive for what we got.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank katkat27

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with a campervan.
One night cost $30 for two.
Kitchen facilities were basic but got the job done.
Toilets and showers also basic.
Was quiet loud, next to a busy road, but once asleep I couldn't hear anything.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Billie-AnnG, Owner at Otorohanga Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Hi, thanks for your review, we welcome feed back on our park. We are sorry you felt our kitchen facilities were basic. We have had a lot of other guests commenting on the free bbq and the indoor/outdoor dining area. Having two separate kitchens have also been well received from other guests. Our bathroom facilities have been very popular with guests, having their own private room with shower, toilet and hand basin. Also no meters or tokens for the showers, with good pressure with unlimited hot water. The noisy road that we are on is quite busy during the day but very quiet after 8pm. We do have a lot of guests requesting to stay an extra night because it is a very quiet location.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Spent a night here in our campervan on our way back to Auckland having visited the Glow worms. We were welcomed pleasantly and offered our pick of the sites. The showers / bathrooms and kitchens are well maintained and clean. Oscar the cat added a lovely homely touch as I was missing my own cat at home! There's a onsite gym (for those so-inclined), laundry, recycling and dump facilities. I see other reviewers have complained about the location, but we had an excellent night's sleep.

Room Tip: Hedge-lined area at the back of the site adds some privacy if you're using a powered site.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I am staying at the Holiday Park right now and enjoying myself very much. I booked it intending to find an ok place to stay while visitting the glow worm caves in Waitomo and was not disappointed. Was greeted with a smile and a very accommodating staff, my little cabin is clean and tidy and there is an abundance of green grass to spend lazy time in the sun on. Very relaxing.

I see some people complaining about the noise, but I am not experiencing that problem, I think it's all about what you're use to and what your expectations are though, if traffic bothers you a lot, this probably isn't the optimal place for you, but the road really isn't that close to the accommodation, so unless you're very sensitive, you should be ok.

Bathrooms are clean - which I am very sensitive about, and the kitchen is small, basic and enough for easy meals. My bed is a bit hard, but nothing worth complaining about to the manager. Also, you get penty of blankets and pillows to keeep you comfortable.

It's all pretty basic, but a good place to stay if you come through Otorohanga. The friendly staff, location and cleanliness tip this over from "above average" to "very good" for me. There's also a barbeque you can use and a gym(!)

I stayed at a small cabin by myself for two days, it cost me 124 NZD

NEGATIVE: Matress a bit thin

POSITIVE: The staff, location, clean, outdoors area

Room Tip: The little cabins are great if you travel alone. There's a bunk bed fitting a couple (below) and...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights, we would have left after the first night but the manager had required us to pay up front. No wonder, one night was enough. Nestled between the main trunk railway line and the heavy truck bypass road, in an industrial estate, peace and quiet is hard to come by.
Our motel style cabin was warm and clean but had no bedside lights, no in room compendium or information and a very squeaky bathroom door. The $110 tariff was over priced for the stay we had. While the grounds and amenities are well maintained and pleasant, it is hard to appreciate them when you are sleep deprived by the constant rattle of heavy traffic and trains.

Room Tip: I am not sure there is a quiet spot
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 757carol
Billie-AnnG, Owner at Otorohanga Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Hi 757Carol. Sorry to read on Trip Advisor that you found our park very noisy. We certainly would have given you a refund if you came to our reception and told us your concerns. It is very difficult to have the perfect location for accommodation. We often have guests, (usually international tourists), staying extra nights, as they have found our park to be very quiet. I have stayed in very expensive accommodation in Auckland and have ended up listening to police and fire sirens going all night long. Also stayed at a very exclusive Bed and Breakfast on a life style block to be woken in the early morning by very noisy live stock. I guess it is what you are use to and tuned into. All the best to you and hope you have great holidays in the future. Regards Billie & Kelvin.

Reviewed 2 May 2013

I stayed for two nights on a powered site with my camper van from 24-25th April.
After other Kiwi Holiday Camps, this was something of a disappointment. It is sandwiched between a railway line on one side and an industrial park on the other. It's a very small campsite with correspondingly small facilities. Which were clean, just basic. The showers however were excellent. I didn't get a great welcome, the manager didn't even know if the internet was any good. I was also disturbed by the thumping of music from the gym until gone 10.30 at night. The piece de resistance was the television room which had three very old, very grubby armchairs which were lethal to sit on - unstable and I nearly fell off two of them when I leaned back on them. Photos attached!
The only advantage it has it that it's close to the Kiwi House and Waitomo caves though there are others in the area. My love for Kiwi Holiday Camps is over I'm afraid which is a shame as the two others I have stayed at were very nice.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Billie-AnnG, Owner at Otorohanga Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2013

Hi Karen, very sorry to read you didn't enjoy your stay at our park. It is interesting that some people find there is a bit of noise from the trains at night but others don't hear them at all. We often get guests staying extra nights as it is so quiet here. I guess it is what you are use to. I find it difficult to stay at any accommodation in a city, with traffic noise and sirens going off all night long. I totally agree with you that we are a very small holiday park. We do provide two separate kitchens and a very large outdoor dinning area with a Free BBQ. I will certainly look into the arm chairs in the TV lounge, thank you for pointing this out. The music from the gym should not have been heard at 10.30pm by our park guests. We have some young college students using the gym at the moment who have been putting the music up to loud and have already been told. I will be looking into this and once I find out which members it was their memberships will be cancelled. Many thanks for pointing this out to me. Sorry the receptionist didn't know much about the internet, we are in the baby boom generation so our techno savvy intelligence is very limited. We are very proud that we have been able to provide internet service to our guest, Wireless and also an internet kiosk. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

I had a self contain unit. The unit was very clean and had everything I needed. Lovely tidy and well set out grounds, and very friendly hosts. Although I didn't have any kids with me, this would be a great place for the kids as there is plenty of safe space for them to run around. Thanks to Kelvin and Billie for having such a lovely park. The only downside would be if you are a smoker as they prefer smoking only within a particular area rather than outside your unit (however from a family (with kids) holiday point of view, I can also totally understand this). If you do stay here, you wont be disappointed. It's one of the tidiest I have been to. The trains never bothered me at all.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Hi, Great to read you enjoyed your stay at our park. Many thanks for your review.
Cheers Billie & Kelvin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Otorohanga
Waitomo Caves Hotel
#2 of 5 in Waitomo Caves
Palm Court Motel
Palm Court Motel
#4 of 4 in Otorohanga

Been to Otorohanga Holiday Park? Share your experiences!