“Great family option - flexible and understanding hosts”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Otorohanga
Waitomo Big Bird Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 4 Otorohanga B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Anne was very accomodating and flexible at working around us (with two small children) and other guests for things like the animal tour. The B&B was clean and the service very very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kiwi_0n_t0ur

Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

this place just left us feeling gross all over, how it ever got 4 stars is an absolute mystery to me.

dirty carpets, stains on the linnen, the "complimentary water" in the room was a refilled plastic bottle. the paintbis peeling everywhere, loads if trash/junk outside etc.

the breakfast consisted out of bread and some off brand nutella like stuff.
there were no ostrich eggs (we really looked forward to these) but for $5 we could get some scrambled eggs.
these were "served" in the pot they were cooked in which was slammed on my plate.
all this while the "man of the house" walked around in his pj's and then sat in front of the tv while shaving (this was all in plain view of the kitchen table)
I don't think I ever felt more awkward and we could not get out of there quick enough.

the animals were kinda fun, and the only time i saw the owner be friendly (to the animals that is) she seems a tad obsessed with them.

so unless you really really want to see an ostrich and sleep in one if those places you see on tv in "hoarders, buried alive" i suggest you steer clear of this place!

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank dutzert
waitomobigbird, Manager at Waitomo Big Bird Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

First of all, we apologise for the gap between expectation and reality. Anyone who knows us will know this review is a "gross" exaggeration. Several statements are simply untrue!

1. I honestly do my level best to ensure people are comfortable and happy as other reviews show. I feel the "creative critic" has completely mis-portrayed "breakfast". Absolutely EVERYBODY is given a full continental breakfast. Different people at the same breakfast table will say "Lovely homemade bread", "Could I have your yoghurt recipe - it's delicious!" "I enjoyed your fruit-salad - you do all your own preserves!" "the homemade Muesli is great" (4 cereals are always on the table). I offer 6 spreads including NZ Honey, Vegemite, Peanut Butter, clearly labelled Chocolate Hazelnut Spread and 2 homemade jams - Kiwi-fruit, apricot or plum and even home-made butter on occasions - using the "Butter Churn" on the side-board! The Ostrich egg-laying is obviously beyond our control.

2. My "man of the house" does not own PJs, nor does he have any garments that resemble PJs in his wardrobe. Besides which, he belongs to a generation that would not ever be seen in public in them.

I am thankful that you had a positive animal experience. Yes, I enjoy creating "memorable moments" for people with the animals - it is something extra that I can give that is completely unique. My background with owning and running a "Craft, Souvenir and Gift Shop" for 27 years means I do really value people and like to ensure that the interaction with people and the animals is fun. I still have Denby Dinnerware, a spinning wheel and some handcrafted items which I consider have significance, interest and value.

On a positive note and true - yesterday, I had a couple staying in the same room with a 2yr old. Before she left, she came to me and said "Ann, you are an angel - we have just had the "best time" - Thank you so much for your wonderful hospitality and for working so hard all day and night so that we can enjoy such a special and unique stay. I would like to bring Amelia here every year, so that she can grow up with such special memories!"
I have to say that after your review - this encouragement brought tears to my eyes and revived my joy! I have no doubt she would review 4 star+ Another enthusiastic lady also from a Petting Farm group yesterday, came in to see the Ostrich eggs and said "I just love your house - can I just have a look around". During the last couple of weeks we have had about 5 families who have made 2nd or 3rd visits here and a family from New Caledonia has been back 5 years in a row.

I will resolve to increase attention to detail, re-arrange treasures, shift renovation materials, correctly label the Waitomo Pure Spring Water in glass containers, and serve "gently" at all times. Best Wishes for a Happy New Year and good fortune for 2014!.

Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for one night since it was close to the caves. Ann was helpful before we even picked a room. The room was clean, breakfast was waiting when we woke up and dinner recommendation at rosewood was perfect. All the animals were fun. Would stay here in a heartbeat.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I stayed in the Chalet with my adult son for two nights. It was the perfect setting to recover from jet lag. Anne & Ross were very welcoming. Anne recommended dining places in every price range and numerous activities. The farm tour was a delight. It was quite an experience to see ostrich & emu up close. Breakfast was delivered at a time that was convenient for us. We also enjoyed meeting the other family that was staying at the B & B.

Room Tip: One-of-a-kind experience for children. The animals were tame.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We had a fantastic family stay at Big Bird. Anne looked after us superbly with plenty of breakfast and an ostrich omelette!! The farm tour was so interesting, getting up close with all the animals - have you ever seen what's underneath an ostrich wing? Remember to take your gumboots.
We stayed in the bungalow, heaps of room for us 5 plus a couple more kids if you have a big family. Room was not flash but very comfortable - that's exactly what we were after. The rates are very reasonable for what you get.
We even picked up an empty ostrich egg to take home, a great souvenir for the kids to remember their stay

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Was a great place to stay for a couple of nights with kids while visiting Waitomo as we were or I imagine for a night while calling through. Anne was great with the kids and all the tame and miniature animals wonderful. My son loved riding the miniature horse and both kids loved Pip the dog. I liked the tame ostrich. We stayed in self contained bungalow which was clean and tidy. Not flash but all you need was there. Anne cooked us a lovely breakfast in the morning. Highly recommend it for an escape from city. The caves were great too and just down road. Only not so great thing was close to main road so not quite as tranquil as you might except for country break but more than made up for by other elements and well placed near caves and Otrahonga town. Also recommend the cafe/bar on the corner in town for great meal.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The animal tour is great for kids - they can feed austriches, bulls, donkeys and many more animals. There is also a very friendly dog. It's close to the caves. The owners are friendly and talkative.

The family room is small and very dated, and you hear the traffic noise from the nearby main street (plus from the other rooms). Breakfast is average.

Overall: good fun outside for the kids, but accomodation is not great value, especially compared to other BB's we had in NZ. The separate cabins looked newer/nicer.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank G Z
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otorohanga
Woodlyn Park
Otorohanga and Waitomo Motels
Motel Te Kuiti
Motel Te Kuiti
#2 of 3 in Te Kuiti

Been to Waitomo Big Bird Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!