Waitomo Big Bird Bed & Breakfast
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Otorohanga
See available hotels
Glow Worm Motel(Waitomo Caves)
View Hotel
Caves Motor Inn(Waitomo Caves)
  • Restaurant
Woodlyn Park(Waitomo Caves)
Kiwi Paka(Waitomo Caves)
  • Restaurant
Waitomo Caves Hotel(Waitomo Caves)
View Hotel
Tapanui Country Home(North Island)
Rosetown Motel(Te Awamutu)
View Hotel
Park Lodge Motel(Te Awamutu)
  • Room Service
All reviewsomeletteostrich eggfarm animalsguinea pigsfarm stayb blove animalsanimal tourgreat for kidshighland cowsglow wormsbed and breakfastlittle girlbreakfast includedan animal loverfresh homemade breadostriches and emus
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on our waitomo adventure and was totally worthwile. Ann and ross are wonderful hosts and can give great advices on what to do. Its a farmstay so keep that in mind. If you dont book an outside cabin you will be staying at their house(great experience) the rooms are cozy and warm and with your own bathroom. The animals are fantastic, ostriches, lamas, pigs, emus, cats, dogs, sheeps, goats, donkeys and more!! For us it was amazing, and the price with breakfast included is great for nz prices. We recommend it and would definitly return if we can.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NeoAngelz
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We've travelled around both south and north islands and staying at Ross and Anne's was a highlight of our trip. Very homely and welcoming and they really make an effort for you. Thanks for a great time

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Ann has a really nice farm with a wide variety of animals that she clearly loves and loves sharing with children. We got a kick of meeting the inhabitants of the farm although the weather wasn't perfect for it.

The rooms in the house are nice, but we stayed in a "chalet" on the property. All rooms were perfectly serviceable and reasonably priced. Nothing fancy to be sure. Ann delivered our breakfast which was delicious and satisfying.

It really is like staying at someone's house, which of course, you are. Also, the ostrich eggs are only available frozen at the moment as none of the birds are laying.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ascendia
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Anne was very accomodating and flexible at working around us (with two small children) and other guests for things like the animal tour. The B&B was clean and the service very very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kiwi_0n_t0ur
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

this place just left us feeling gross all over, how it ever got 4 stars is an absolute mystery to me.

dirty carpets, stains on the linnen, the "complimentary water" in the room was a refilled plastic bottle. the paintbis peeling everywhere, loads if trash/junk outside etc.

the breakfast consisted out of bread and some off brand nutella like stuff.
there were no ostrich eggs (we really looked forward to these) but for $5 we could get some scrambled eggs.
these were "served" in the pot they were cooked in which was slammed on my plate.
all this while the "man of the house" walked around in his pj's and then sat in front of the tv while shaving (this was all in plain view of the kitchen table)
I don't think I ever felt more awkward and we could not get out of there quick enough.

the animals were kinda fun, and the only time i saw the owner be friendly (to the animals that is) she seems a tad obsessed with them.

so unless you really really want to see an ostrich and sleep in one if those places you see on tv in "hoarders, buried alive" i suggest you steer clear of this place!

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank dutzert
waitomobigbird, Manager at Waitomo Big Bird Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

First of all, we apologise for the gap between expectation and reality. Anyone who knows us will know this review is a "gross" exaggeration. Several statements are simply untrue!

1. I honestly do my level best to ensure people are comfortable and happy as other reviews show. I feel the "creative critic" has completely mis-portrayed "breakfast". Absolutely EVERYBODY is given a full continental breakfast. Different people at the same breakfast table will say "Lovely homemade bread", "Could I have your yoghurt recipe - it's delicious!" "I enjoyed your fruit-salad - you do all your own preserves!" "the homemade Muesli is great" (4 cereals are always on the table). I offer 6 spreads including NZ Honey, Vegemite, Peanut Butter, clearly labelled Chocolate Hazelnut Spread and 2 homemade jams - Kiwi-fruit, apricot or plum and even home-made butter on occasions - using the "Butter Churn" on the side-board! The Ostrich egg-laying is obviously beyond our control.

2. My "man of the house" does not own PJs, nor does he have any garments that resemble PJs in his wardrobe. Besides which, he belongs to a generation that would not ever be seen in public in them.

I am thankful that you had a positive animal experience. Yes, I enjoy creating "memorable moments" for people with the animals - it is something extra that I can give that is completely unique. My background with owning and running a "Craft, Souvenir and Gift Shop" for 27 years means I do really value people and like to ensure that the interaction with people and the animals is fun. I still have Denby Dinnerware, a spinning wheel and some handcrafted items which I consider have significance, interest and value.

On a positive note and true - yesterday, I had a couple staying in the same room with a 2yr old. Before she left, she came to me and said "Ann, you are an angel - we have just had the "best time" - Thank you so much for your wonderful hospitality and for working so hard all day and night so that we can enjoy such a special and unique stay. I would like to bring Amelia here every year, so that she can grow up with such special memories!"
I have to say that after your review - this encouragement brought tears to my eyes and revived my joy! I have no doubt she would review 4 star+ Another enthusiastic lady also from a Petting Farm group yesterday, came in to see the Ostrich eggs and said "I just love your house - can I just have a look around". During the last couple of weeks we have had about 5 families who have made 2nd or 3rd visits here and a family from New Caledonia has been back 5 years in a row.

I will resolve to increase attention to detail, re-arrange treasures, shift renovation materials, correctly label the Waitomo Pure Spring Water in glass containers, and serve "gently" at all times. Best Wishes for a Happy New Year and good fortune for 2014!.