“Once a great place, now just another pub.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Birdies Restaurant The Tap Inn - CLOSED

Birdies Restaurant The Tap Inn
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Adelaide, Australia
“Once a great place, now just another pub.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Went here for a relative's birthday after being previously many times years back and loving it. My relative had to pay a deposit per head for Birdies Restaurant, only to be contact after telling her that the Restaurant was closed for renovations and we would be put in the beer garden. On the evening there were a few points of disappointment being stale tasting wine, a high chair that collapsed with my baby inside (luckily I was there to catch it), wobbly tables and limited to nil lighting so at night time you can hardly see what you are eating. The TAPAS menu is now quite small compared to what it use to be. Service was slow although the staff were friendly and helped where they could. The golf area looks tired and old and was shut when we walked through (about 8pm on a Saturday night). New owner's took over in June 2013 and it seems they are killing the place. We also saw the signs everywhere saying they are not accepting vouchers etc, which I think is tacky. Although we didn't have any vouchers, maybe for their sake they should have continued that. I think we some love and care the place could be great again, but for now it is just another average pub, and unfortunately we won't be making the trek back their unless we hear the standard picks up.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Tiffany M
Lara H, Owner at Birdies Restaurant The Tap Inn, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Hi Tiffany, Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that your experience was not up to scratch. I am curious as to whether any of your issues were brought to our attention on the night? I wasn't made aware of any complaints and I do like to follow them up personally when possible. We are actually the original owners that had to come in and take the hotel back after the lessees just walked out some months ago. Unfortunately the hotel was not maintained to our usual high standard prior to our return. We are currently in the process of renovating again and hope that you will give us another try in a few months time once things are all new and up and running! If you wish to discuss this further please contact me at the hotel on 8362 2116. Kind regards Lara Hannah

South Australia, Australia
“Very enjoyable experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Very friendly, efficient service. Large table, so plenty of room for side dishes and extra glasses. We had the Half a Duck, Trio of Curries (X2) and the King George Whiting. All were very pleased with the quality, quantity and value of our servings. In addition, the ambience of the room meant a normal speaking voice could be heard quite clearly. We will be back.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Andrew M
“Thoroughly disappointing!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

Hadn't been to the Tap Inn for such a long time so decided to pay it a visit. Was a bit surprised to find the place almost deserted at 7:30 pm during the Christmas/New Year holiday period. Also noticed the sign saying that the new management would not be honouring the Entertainment Book. Now I ain't no Sherlock Holmes but I reckon this may be partly the reason it was empty. This didn't put us off. Anyway here is the list.

Limited staff
Had to wipe our own dirty table
Overpriced food
Terribly cooked food
Waited too long for food
Didn't all come at same time (table of 7)
No atmosphere

Needless to say we will not be returning which is such a shame as we used to enjoy going there. So much potential.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank theculturedswine
Adelaide
“Not What it used to be”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

Unfortunately this will be the last time I dine here, traditionally the Tapp Inn had a vast menu with a wide range of tapas.
Now very basic menu with a small amount of Tapas at really high prices.
I don't mind paying for good quality food however this was far from it. I ordered a selection of four Tapas, the tiger prawns presented were three in total and were the smallest prawns I have seen served with a wedge of lemon. The duckwits presented sloppy on the plate with sauce squirted on top of it, beef satays were dry and the samosas out of a packet.
Previously tapas has been served with salad and chips and this has now been stopped however with no drop in price.
Really disappointed with the standard of food and paying top prices, no wonder this place is so quiet.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Adelguy
“Don't waste your time and money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Very disappointed that the new owners aren't honouring the Entertainment Book discount voucher. It was the only reason we went there so that was the start. The chips that came out with two meals were stone cold, and when they came back from the kitchen, we obviously had the last dregs of the chips as they were tiny and hard. The prices for this pub style meals are overpriced and overall not a good impression. Will never come back here again for a meal. The place is starting is starting to show its age and is a bit run down now.

• Visited November 2013