“Superb B&B”

Hayeswood Lodge Boutique Bed & Breakfast
“Superb B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful find!!
From a very warm welcome right through to checking out, we have enjoyed ourselves very much.
Excellent room, facilities and breakfast. A real home from home environment!
We look forward to returning. Thank you, Rachel, Chris & Isaac Morgan.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Rachel M
Dan H, Owner at Hayeswood Lodge Boutique Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Apologies for the delayed response. We enjoyed having you here and are very happy that Hayeswood Lodge suited you. It was great that the 2 Isaac's had some time to play together. Look forward to your next visit. Kind Regards. Dan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed four nights at Hayeswood Lodge while visiting the area recently, and I think we would have struggled to find anywhere better to stay. Hayeswood Lodge is perfect. Dan and Katie have obviously put in a lot of hard work to provide a beautiful, comfortable place for people to stay. They are excellent hosts, friendly without being intrusive. Nothing seems to be too much trouble.

Some of the positives:

Warm welcome on arrival; Sugar topped citrus muffins, still warm ready to be eaten with our first cup of tea; Four wonderful nights sleep in a great king sized bed; Good shower; Kitchenette complete with hob, microwave, fridge, sink etc; Coffee (instant and ground), tea bags, milk and sugar provided in the kitchenette; The breakfasts - plenty of choice, all perfectly prepared. The pancakes, my favourite, were delicious; Vanilla coffee; Great location.

The negatives:

None – apart from the weather!

Thanks Dan and Katie for providing such a wonderful place to stay, we hope to be back some day.

Room Tip: We stayed in Maple, which was beautiful, but I am sure all the rooms are equally as lovely.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dan H, Owner at Hayeswood Lodge Boutique Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write that Yvonne. We enjoyed getting to know you both over your 4 days. Happy the room & services suited you and that you noticed the detail that we've spent time creating. I'll order better weather for next time. Thanks. Dan
londin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Book in here last night as close to a meeting for the morning and cannot express enough how lovely this place is. So friendly in a beautiful setting down a long private drive.
If you are lucky enough to have the chance to stay here you will not be disappointed

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you very much itman40!! Glad you enjoyed the vibe here. Hope to be seeing you soon. Cheers. Dan
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stopped here the day after our wedding further north in Yorkshire and didn't want to head home straight away. Hayeswood was the perfect stopover in a beautiful setting. The rooms are fantastically appointed and decorated, Dan was a great, friendly host and breakfast was just yummy.

We wish we could have stayed and enjoyed our newlywed bliss for longer, alas it was not to be this time but we will be back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
We were honoured that you chose to stay with us on your wedding night. Glad that we added to your wider experience. Hope to see you again for a longer stay. Thanks so much for the review. Congratulations once again. Dan.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

We had a lovely 3 night stay at Hayeswood Lodge in Derbyshire. Dan and Katie have made Hayeswood into a beautiful location and were fantastic hosts with delicious breakfasts and the rooms are spectacular. Thank you for making our trip so memorable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you. Glad Hayeswood hit the mark for you. We enjoyed having you to stay. Thanks for your review. Take care. Dan
Venice
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

I have recently travelled back to Italy after an outright heavenly journey throughout the East Midlands and I would deem myself a liar if I ever denied the profound remembrances I have treasured and I am still treasuring at the present time with regard to my sojourn at the Hayeswood Lodge: I got acquainted with this captivating property after a meticulous investigation through the Internet and the traits pointed out on both their web-site and other guests' testimonies prove themselves to be unquestionably trustworthy.

As a matter of fact at the initial phase of my journey's organization I was kind of doubtful about whether to sojourn as adjacent as possible to the city of Derby or, on the opposite side, to go for a different experience in the fascinating surroundings but eventually I recognized that Hayeswood Lodge would have been an impeccable base in order to be wholly charmed by such a heavenly land: a significant part on the achievement of such a successful choice was played by the dedication and the cordiality manifested by Dan and Katie, a splendid young couple who have recently purchased the property, a former farm uninhabited for a little while as a consequence of the decease of his previous owner, and refurbished in a intensely radical way so as to convert it into the astounding lodge you could admire nowadays. Quite funnily and smartly, each room features a picture of the room itself as it used to be prior to the taking over of the property (an unequivocal barn!) and at the bottom of it the rhetorical question “Hope you like what we did with your room?”. Yes indeed! Prior to my departure to UK the mail exchange I had with Dan and Katie was marked by the promptness and the copiousness of information they graciously provided, a source of knowledge that put myself at ease and rendered my familiar with the area and its features even before I ever departed to Derbyshire itself : the alacrity and the efficiency in their replies to each question of mine proved the unmistakable dedication towards the sublime job they are doing, whose perfection is assuring and, I am throughly, will assure them the deepest endless success in the years to come. Hayeswood Lodge is exquisitely located in Stanley Common, a small village in the south-east of Derbyshire, in an impressive country characterized by blissful and gentle landscapes, approximately seven miles from Derby and equally, strategically distant from Belper on its north-side: for those people who are really fond of strolling Derby might be reached in two hours, passing through either Stanley or alternatively Morley; otherwise the village is conveniently served by bus service #59 (the bus stop is in Belper Street, the road around which the village is developed, 15 minutes walking from the property) , providing rides approximately every hour and leading you to Derby in 20 minutes; another interesting alternative solution would be to walk for half an hour up to the Smalley junction in the proximity of the Rose and Crown pub and to make the most of the H1 and Y1 bus to Derby (20 minutes ride, buses every 15 minutes and services on Sundays and Bank Holidays).

I still recall with deep joy the meeting I had with Dan upon arrival, since he proved himself to be the kindest guy on earth by offering himself in order to meet me at Belper bus station: according to a suggestion of him according to which we would have been in touch prior to my approach to Derby, I contacted him one day before and we sorted out a meeting, since I was quite concerned about getting to Hayeswood Lodge in the light of the lack my own car. Once he came and meet me at the bus stop he introduced himself with a dazzling smile, putting myself at such a ease that I was almost under the impression we have already met before. All along the car ride we had and interestingly captivating conversation about my journey, about our mutual activities in the tourism business and sundry other subjects. The introduction to the property was jaw-dropping: after crossing the entrance there is an enticing pathway through the countryside, at the end of which Hayeswood Lodge emerges in all its allure. I could not but be astonished by admiring such a splendor I had the solid feeling I was bound to stay at the quintessential “home away from home”: the main house is used for housing Dan and Kate's dwelling, their office and the breakfast lounge; the four rooms are next to the main property and were originally conceived and used as outright barns.

The double room I was assigned, “Birch”, was stylishly and handsomely embellished with a colorful and vivid design. It is truly well-furnished with several modern amenities: much to my pleasant surprise, once crossed the threshold of the room you are welcomed by an elegant kitchenette, abundant in sundry glasses, cutleries, a kettle, a fridge (where I could store some bottles of beer which I was kindly gifted with by Dan, produced at a local brewery called Nutbrook, based in the nearby village of West Hallam, marked by a an excellent quality) different kinds of coffees and teas, a shrewd peculiarity that I have never experienced in any other B&B before, allowing guests to make the most of dimension akin to the one of a real apartment by giving them the possibility to cook their own food if you are not keen on having dinner outside; another gentle feature I have pleasantly noticed, bestowing a real home-spun atmosphere, was the delicious piece of cake welcoming the guests upon arrival, a mouthwatering piece of lemon cake included in an elegant glass container accompanied by the tempting note “Eat me”. Worthy of particular mention were the following peculiarities: the underfloor heating and cooling system, whose temperature can be regulated differently in the bedroom and in the bathroom, and the curtains, whose height is regulated through an electric device.The private bathroom is elegantly appointed and features both a tub and a shower stand; the quality of the soaps, shower gels, shampoos and body lotions are absolutely high-class.

The breakfast was extraordinary, on the strength of its ample range of products among which to choose thanks to the classy menu I have been provided, so diversified that I could take the edge off my appetite in different ways each and every day. The breakfast cooked by Dan and Kate features the following choices: porridge with chopped apple, sultanas and drizzled golden syrup, blueberry pancakes served with maple syrup and crispy bacon, traditional full english breakfast (much to my positive surprise it included a flavorful black pudding), smoke salmon and scrambled egg on a toasted muffin. In addition to this a broad selection of cereals and fresh fruit salad is displayed on the table in the breakfast lounge.

Dan and Kate have proved themselves to be far and away among the most authentically amiable and helpful people I have ever met during my journeys abroad: as a matter of fact the carefulness and the outpouring of attention they bestowed trough each stage of my stay at Hayeswood Lodge have been undoubtedly remarkable and I sincerely enjoyed the various engaging talks we had from dawn to dusk, in which manifold matters were involved, and I was (and still I am) so grateful to them for inviting me for dinner on my last night prior to my departure to Leicester: a gentle touch that disclosed their amiableness even further and that contributed to render a poor wayfaring stranger like me less lonely, a remembrance that I will treasure forever in my heart.

I must recognize that it is altogether arduous to express with adequate words the satisfaction I felt in staying at Hayeswood Lodge, and I think that the sole way to enjoy this B&B is to give yourself a treat by staying nowhere else: thanks to Dan and and Kate you will be enchanted without any shadow of a doubt by the magic of an astonishing experience!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dan H, Owner at Hayeswood Lodge Boutique Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
What can I say to that, other than thank you! We didn't imagine that anyone would write about our establishment with such passion and detail. It goes without saying that we thoroughly enjoyed hosting you and playing a part in your wider adventure. Your English puts me to shame. Anyone would think you were taught by Shakespeare himself. Not bad for an Italian!! We look forward to visiting you in Venice next time. All best wishes and thanks again for the significant amount of time spent creating this review/essay. Take care. Dan & Katie.
Cowes, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

My satnav struggled to find it, but a quick call got me in touch with Dan who directed me easily. Very characterful rooms - modern and clean but with an individual style. Well equipped en-suite and a kitchenette means long stays would be comfortable. This is a very quiet and peaceful location, with lots of space and local walks available. Dan and Kate offer a high quality breakfast and care throughout your stay - they provide a very personal service without being fussy. Keen pricing beat all of the more common identikit hotels. I really could recommend this B&B more highly!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thanks so much Jed. You fitted in with the Hayeswood vibe perfectly. Pretty much part of the furniture already!! See you soon. Dan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanley Common
#1 of 3 in Matlock Bath
Peak Edge Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stonedge

Been to Hayeswood Lodge Boutique Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!