“Good location - peaceful setting”
Review of Makapa Lodge

Makapa Lodge
Ranked #7 of 19 Fish Hoek B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The suite was well planned, with 3 separate areas, good tv choice, wifi once connected worked okay. The breakfast was limited in the choice of non cooked items plus the seating for the breakfast could be improved. Great location for visiting the main sights and good beaches of the peninsula. The nearby shopping Mall was very comprehensive so you should consider self catering. Good Restaurants only a short distance away by car. We did not see much bird life. Smokers could be a problem near the pool area

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Makapa Lodge is a nice getaway form Cape Town. At the end of a drive in a quaint neighborhood you sit at the edge of Table Mountain National Park (Cape Point section). The area is very quiet and has a great view of the Atlantic Ocean from the pool/breakfast area. We had the room on the north side of the house just off the pool. It was rather cool at night, but the bed was comfortable and warm. The only complaint was the smell from the septic tank crept in to the bathroom so we had to keep the door closed which made the bathroom even colder. And that may just be this room--in reality we were only there a couple hours during the day each day, so for sleep it was just fine.

The location makes it a great jump off point to go to Simon's Town, Cape Point, and pretty much anywhere along the peninsula. If you enjoy birds there are quite a few around the grounds, including the stunning Cape Sugarbird--this was the only place I saw these. At night there were nightjars calling from the hillsides, and in the evening a Spotted Thick-knee was walking near the driveway.

The owners Ian and Margaret Minto were very helpful and if you want to see some cool wildlife in the area (specifically Flamingos) let them know and they can tell you exactly where things are. I didn't take advantage of their willingness to share till our last night and likely missed a few things.

If you go here expecting a 5 star resort you will be disappointed. But if you are looking for something in the country that is comfortable, quiet, and has a homey feel, definitely stay here!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle of Joburg and Makapa was the ideal place to relax and unwind!
The photos on the website didn't do it justice, it was even more perfect in real life!
An ideal spot to hideaway away for a few days but also well located should you want to see the sights of the city.
Fantastic value for money. We couldn't believe the yummy full English breakfast was included in the price!
We will definitely go back again soon.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I began my vacation to South Africa (May, 2013) from Cape Town. My plan was to book directly. I also did not want to stay in the downtown area. After interacting with several B&B accommodations in Cape Town, I settled down on Makapa Lodge mainly because of Ian's prompt and detailed responses that gave me all the information I was looking for as well as brought out his helpful nature. Ian also helped me book a pickup from the Cape Town airport to Makapa Lodge from amongst his contact (who were also excellent folks).

I stayed here for 3 nights and booked 3 suites (around the swimming pool) for 4 seniors, 2 adults and 1 child. Right from the start when I reached Cape Town on 5th May & Makapa lodge till I left on 8th May for the Garden Route, Ian and Margaret made all of us feel at home. The rooms were excellent and equipped with everything that one could need for a family. Our rooms were all around the swimming pool (at the center). There was ample space to park a Volkswagen Kombi which I rented. Views all around were excellent with the Ocean visible from the breakfast room. Ian and Margaret helped us with all the information we needed (and we needed a lot of advice since this was our first trip to SA). The location is excellent (Fishhoek). Its a quite locality with malls etc. located very nearby. I felt it was a very safe locality as well.

They also served us with awesome English breakfast every morning which was whipped up by Margaret & Ian themselves! Makapa has a very nice garden in front of the rooms. Two of the rooms are actually located in the garden. There are many birds that can be seen right there in the garden! We saw the Cape Sugarbird, several sunbirds, shrikes etc. right during our stay.

Here are some pictures:

In the end we were left wondering why we did not choose to stay here longer! Cape Town is a wonderful place and I enjoyed my trips to Boulders Beach, Cape Point, Cape of Good Hope, Table Mountain etc. One thing I regret having missed due to lack of time is shark cage diving.

In fact Makapa was one of the highlights of our vacation in South Africa and everyone in my extended family agreed with that.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I needed a place to stay whilst visiting relatives and booked The Nest with high hopes. I wasn't disappointed. The Nest had everything you could possibly need and more. It was comfortable, private and near to the flora and fauna. Margaret and Ian were on hand if I needed anything. I took up the offer of a half day birdwatching with Ian. This was excellent, especially as Ian is so enthusiastic.
I recommend Makapa Lodge for a stay in Capri Village.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Makapa Lodge is a very homely guesthouse. Maybe even better than home. A 30 min drive from Cape Town International(CPT) this lodge is situated in Capri Village near the Kommeitjie Road in Fishhoek. There are 5 rooms out of which one is self catering and the rest are bed and breakfast. Supplies for the self catering cabin can be bought in the Pick n Pay store(the walmart of south africa) in longbeach mall which is about 5km from the lodge. It is an absolutely amazing location. There are a few restaraunts around but really good but expensive restaraunts can be found in Camp's Bay, Downtown and Kalk's Bay. The owners of Makapa Lodge, namely Ian and Margaret are very friendly. The rooms are very clean and well organized. Its actually luxury. The lodge will provide brochures of Cape Town. Cape Point and the Cape of Good Hope are also close. There is some birdlife around the lodge. The breakfast is absolutely amazing cooked by Ian and Margaret themselves. One more thing, this place is absolutely safe. Our 3 day stay was amazing. At the end we never wanted to leave. I would prefer staying in Makapa Lodge rather than staying in Taj Cape Town, Protea or Tsogo Sun.

Room Tip: The rooms are very good but if you are vegetarian, maybe you should take the self catering because n...