“Tiny spot through R62”

Ranked #11 of 34 Restaurants in Montagu
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Nice lodge with a well organized swimming pool and garden, good breakfast and chance to book a dinner menu structured with white and red wine, good but not excellent.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed only for one night - it was perfect. We decided to take part at the dinner menu with wine. The food was delicious as well as the wine. All courses were beautifully arranged and the wine were chosen to support the dish perfectly.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

booked a dinner-table for four (with 2 overseas guests) friday, december 6th. The maincourse on the menu was medium-rare springbok. My 2 guests got the maincourse last, quit a few minutes after the others. The springbok was overdone and dry. When the staff came to collect the empty plates, I showed them the left meet on the plates of our guests and complained about the quality of the meet which was not cooked as mentioned on the menu. The answer was simply "I'm sorry", there was no response from the Chef, no offer of free coffee etc. and we had to pay the full price of R325 for a menu with a failed maincourse. We also had 2 Hess selection wines, the second bottle was filled into the decanter without tasting and while there was still wine from the first bottle in the decanter, and we hat to refill our glasses by our own because there was no attention to our table at all. When we left I complained again to the Manager, his answer was "I'm very soory and hope to see you again". In the past I several times stopped with guests at that place, but they will not see me again. In the meantime also the food is overpriced, even the quality of food is good but not at all outstanding.

2  Thank Meier544
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by someone we got chatting to in Montagu. Wish I hadn't listened. The restaurant was dead, the person who serviced us was beyond words. She was not at all friendly and never explained the restaurant concept to us. In fact when I asked for a menu she was shocked and asked me didn't I know. I explained we had no idea and that we were there through a recommendation, her exact comment was 'well didn't the person who recommended the restaurant explain it to you', why would they? Anyway there is only a four course set menu, no choice - not great if you are veggie or have allergies. When we were served each course the plates where just put infront of us with no explanation as to what we were about to eat. Whilst the food was good it is an extremely expensive restaurant and whilst I don't mind paying above the norm I expect good service and hot water in the toilets of which there was none!

1  Thank fifi330
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The gourmet dinner paired with wine and hosted by the owners Bernd und Fida Hess was absolutely divine. They have some of their excellent wines as well.