“Good Concept - worth another try” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 30 Restaurants in Montagu
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Good Concept - worth another try”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

We were in Montague for the weekend celebrating a birthday and I searched for places to eat, the idea being something different but "foodie"... I came across Mimosa lodge on my google search and checked out their website whcich looked great. The set menu examples described and the wine pairing appealed to me.

I booked and we got there on the Sunday night for Dinner. Being May, a Sunday night and off peak we were the only guests there! The hostess did phone me the day before my booking and mentioned this. She also went through the menu as it changes every week.

They did not offer the dinner and wine pairing option on that night. first course was venison carpacio - Good. second course was mushroom Rissotto with parmasan chip. Deliscious! For mains - Salmon with mash and veggies - Tasty but average. There was a trio of desserts- which was good.

Forthe food options that we had - I thought it was a bit pricey. Would like to see if the menu was different if there were more people at the restaurant. So I would maybe give it another try.... This occassion was a bit average for me.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank K-Travel-SA

London, United Kingdom
“Good cooking but overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

We were aware of the concept of a fixed choice menu and opted for the menu with wine pairing. The four-course meal was well cooked although rather protracted in the serving, possibly due to a large party of eight as well as four couples needing to be served before clearing for the next course so the meal proceeded at the pace of the slowest. Our gripe was with the wines which we felt were overpriced for the quality and quantity served. Overall the cost of the dinner for two was the most expensive we experienced during a two week holiday in South Africa and we ate at some top class restaurants in Cape Town and the Winelands for comparison.

• Visited January 2014
Sementina, Switzerland
“Tiny spot through R62”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Nice lodge with a well organized swimming pool and garden, good breakfast and chance to book a dinner menu structured with white and red wine, good but not excellent.

Munich, Germany
“Wonderful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed only for one night - it was perfect. We decided to take part at the dinner menu with wine. The food was delicious as well as the wine. All courses were beautifully arranged and the wine were chosen to support the dish perfectly.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Somerset West, South Africa
“bad experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

booked a dinner-table for four (with 2 overseas guests) friday, december 6th. The maincourse on the menu was medium-rare springbok. My 2 guests got the maincourse last, quit a few minutes after the others. The springbok was overdone and dry. When the staff came to collect the empty plates, I showed them the left meet on the plates of our guests and complained about the quality of the meet which was not cooked as mentioned on the menu. The answer was simply "I'm sorry", there was no response from the Chef, no offer of free coffee etc. and we had to pay the full price of R325 for a menu with a failed maincourse. We also had 2 Hess selection wines, the second bottle was filled into the decanter without tasting and while there was still wine from the first bottle in the decanter, and we hat to refill our glasses by our own because there was no attention to our table at all. When we left I complained again to the Manager, his answer was "I'm very soory and hope to see you again". In the past I several times stopped with guests at that place, but they will not see me again. In the meantime also the food is overpriced, even the quality of food is good but not at all outstanding.

2 Thank Meier544