“Poor excuse of a meal”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Cape Town
“Poor excuse of a meal”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This is a very inviting restaurant in the Victorian hotel on the main street of this charming village. I was warmly welcomed by a charming hostess, given. Menu and I ordered a mineral water and the vegetable Malay curry. After a 40 minute wait I went in search of someone. I was told it was on its way. I thought that they must have put extra care into it for such a long wait. What arrived was a large a very good pappadum superimposed on a dish of assorted vegetables, with a small bowl of cucumber raita and a small bowl of pretty tasteless of the shelf chutney. The curry sauce was smooth, tasteless and completely lacking in the spicy fragrance that Malay curry is known for. It had no trace of onion, garlic or ginger and the veggies were undercooked. I couldn't finish it, hungry as I was and felt very ripped off at a bill of R70. I shall avoid that place and recommend other people to do so if they enjoy good food.

1 Thank Mamakalisa

Ringwood, United Kingdom
“What a find”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

After a very non description meal in the Olde Tavern we decided on Kati's for our second night's meal in Montague.
What a treat. The restaurant is very inviting, the waitress very attentive and the food was very very good. We paid our compliments to the chef for a great meal and wish the team all the best for the future.

Strand
“Manages by class and excellence”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Friday evening we dined at the Victorian 1906 Hotel in Montagu. For a starter I had Wild Mushroom Cappuccino Soup served with infused foam and rye bruschetta which was not only the best soup ever but an absolute taste of a creamy sensation! For main I had Parma ham wrapped chicken breast roulade - o my word! Please do yourself a favour and drive to Montagu and give yourself the greatest meal treatment ever! There is no words that can describe this absolutely fantastic taste that firstly tease your pallet just to treat your body with the best taste ever! For desert I had Eton Mess which is layers of meringue, berry and ice cream! Complements to the chefs for this absolute treat! Today I had something lighter and decided on their Debeziner and Frankfurter Austrian sausage Speciality! My absolute compliments to the winning team for an outstanding combination of Vienese Style sausages and salad with mustard, tomato horse radish sause! Really do yourself a favour and make a turn at the Victorian 1906 Hotel and enjoy their outstanding hospitality, food and company! Well done to a very special team which do our South African Hospitality proud!!

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Dissapointing”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We went to the hotel on the recommendation of the INFO in Montagu. It was a special for our wedding anniversary.
I ordered the belly pork dish what a disappointment! It was 2 slices cut off a roll of pork No crackling - complete with string - dumped on a pile of mashed potatoes!! I spoke to the Chef who told me that the manager wouldn't let him do the belly pork and other way . The receptionist asked if we had a good meal we said no! she said fine and carried on giving us the bill. Talk about disinterested!! I asked her if she had heard what we said and she said yes. When I asked what do you normally do when this happens she said call the manager. - by this time I was passed speaking to anyone in the establishment

1 Thank Anne H
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“new years eve”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

food and service was excellent, chef really out did himself, general manager was extremely hands on and waitress was above standard. Service was excellent

• Visited January 2014