“Worth the trip ”

Hakka Museum of China
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Meizhou
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

It's a great experience to be able to visit the the museum. It's a great place to learn about the Hakka Culture. The place is nicely done up and great lighting with added multimedia to educate the public. It's worth the trip there.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We visited the Hakka Museum in Meizhou, which is a smallish museum providing history of the Hakka people and their migrations over the years, as well as culture and traditions. There is not a huge amount to see, but it provides a nice short education on Hakka culture.
Note – current Tripadvisor address is wrong! It is NOT on Meilong Road, but is actually located approx 500m north of the river on Dongshan Avenue. Also, it is closed on Mondays.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

This was my first time to Meizhou, and naturally, to the Hakka Museum. Being a Hakka myself, I thoroughly enjoyed the few hours I spent at the museum. I had learned so much about being a Hakka, the traditions of the Hakka (that are lost in the generations), traditional Hakka "mountain songs,", etc.

I had wanted to spend more time to read the very informational boards, but since we were traveling in a big group, I just took pictures of the boards for later reading.

I'd definitely recommend anybody visiting Meizhou to visit this museum. After all, it's free of charge and very educational too!

1  Thank PelfNyok
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Meizhou Hakka museum depicts the roots and hertiage of the Hakka from the early migration and settlement in Guangdong, Fujian and JInangsi. It's an interesting place to visit even if you are not of Hakka origin. But Meizhou now claims fame to me the world Hakka hertiage location.
The museum includes details of many many famous Hakka descendants including some 400+ generals and other important people. In part because of it's high focus and dedication to learning and teaching as evident in the city today.
It also depicts the traditional Hakka round house and off course Marshall Ye.
Overall a worthy museum and worth a visit. What's better it's free.

3  Thank Stevelizhangjun
Reviewed 30 August 2011

This is a place for Hakkas from all over the world who want to learn about their roots, culture and history. It is a modern building completed in April 2008 and a fee of 25 yuan was charged when I came in June 2008 but now entrance is free. It is very enlightening for me and my family and friends. All returning Hakkas should not give this a miss. It proudly claims to be the Hakka capital of the world. Here I met an man in his 60s with his grandson. He was singing a Hakka mountain song unaccompanied with any musical instrument. Really an eye opener!

4  Thank BirdmanTraveler