I have recently returned from an amazing holiday to Malaysia and Singapore, starting wtih 5 nights at the Golden Sands in Penang in order to get a bit of tan and relax before visiting Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. The hotel was recommended by friends who stayed several times and the price offered by our UK tour operator was very good. The location is great right on the beach, unfortunately swimming in the sea is not an amazing experience as the water is not that clean and the area where you can swim is netted due to jelly fish. We were given sea facing rooms due to my husbands 50th birthday and the rooms are very spacious with great views. Really clean and the turn down service is very efficient. Our minibar was stocked with water daily and we received at least 2 bottles each which was great, the bathrooms are modern with lovely marble showers and two sinks. Breakfast was lovely with cooking stations where they prepare egg dishes, noodles and other local specialties while you are waiting, there is a good selection of fruits, cereals as well as an international buffet for the less daring.
What disappointed us was the prices for the drinks in the hotel, absolutely outrageous for the standard as well as the service. By the sunbeds you are supposed to lift a metal flag in order to be seen and served, well you can wait up to half an hour for somebody to come and take your orders. A large beer costs £10 which is more than in London and that is a lot of money for the local standard. The happy hour is very confusing for the guests as well as the waiter as they serve the second drink at a 40% discount plus 10% resort tax plus 6% service tax or the other way round so you are not saving much, if you query they get muddled up and might charge you even more.... Cocktails are not made according to an international recipe, for example a Cosmopolitan would be just vodka cranberry juice and ice served in a water tumbler, for a hotel managed by Shangri La and the costs they charged that was pretty poor...as you can imagine not many guests drink in the hotel which is a shame, the hotel is missing a trick as they are so relaxed about guests buying soft and alcoholic drinks from the shop across the road and drinking on their sunbeds. We did not eat in the hotel after breakfast as there did not seem to be much of an atmosphere especially in the evenings so preferred to eat in the Long Cafe market as well as visit the Bora Bora Beach bar. . Enjoyed a trip to the Penang Hill as well as the Kek Loh Si Temple, picked up a driver from outside the hotel in a decent car and worked out at half the cost, again the costs for the trips charged by the hotel are a bit high....Our driver was called Vincent, he spoke impecable English and was very knowledgeable, his service was really good and he recommended us what to do and was happy to wait for us. Our husbands played golf one day and again so more convenient to book directly with the golf course and take a taxi from outside the hotel, rather than go through hotel costs. I appreciate everybody has to earn and you pay for the service but the difference is quite high.
All in all Penang was a good experience, think we have been spoiled with the Caribbean but it was a good value for money holiday as long as you don't pay hotel prices.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La first commenced operations in October 1979. It has won numerous awards and recognition as a family- and kids-friendly resort. As such, it enjoys the reputation as the preferred resort among families on holiday. This 4-star resort on Batu Feringgi Beach is filled with facilities for dining, leisure and recreation that will surely keep any multi-generational family happily occupied. Adventure Zone, Shangri-La's unique family entertainment center With 387 guestrooms and suites that boast views of either the verdant hills or azure sea, the hotel caters to the needs of individuals, groups and families. Some room types even feature Murphy pull-down beds and connecting doors. Childcare services are available, allowing adults on holiday with their family to enjoy some private time away from their children. At the Kids' Club, which is based in the Adventure Zone's dry play park, children are kept entertained from morning until evening and provided with regular meals and break times. The Adventure Zone is the biggest indoor play park in Penang, offering a myriad of play structures, activity rooms and entertainment options. Here, children can enjoy video screenings and visits from the resort's mascots. At our mini water park, children and toddlers can interact safely, playing on the splash pad, which has a safe floor surface and includes many water features, such as showers and tipping buckets. In addition, they will enjoy racing down the water slides. Holidaymakers can stroll around the resort grounds, which feature extensive manicured gardens and landscaped open spaces. Guests can also enjoy sunbathing and lounging by the pool and in the garden area. The Cool Lounge serves as a transit area for incoming and outgoing guests, and is a cool space where guests may read, surf the Net and enjoy sandwiches and pastries alongside coffee, tea and fruit juice. At Garden Café and Sigi's Bar & Grill by the Beach, children below 12 years old that are accompanied by one paying adult can eat for free. In addition, an outdoor Jacuzzi in the garden and two swimming pools with water slides are available. The resort also boasts a par-3 golf course for those that enjoy golf. Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La well-equipped gymnasium awaits fitness enthusiasts. For those who wish to spend their time productively while on holiday, there are many daily activities, such as workout classes, cooking classes, craft making courses and visits to the George Town World Heritage Zone (by complimentary shuttle). The popular Batu Feringgi Night Bazaar beckons those who enjoy a stroll after dinner. Here, great bargains on apparel, novelty items, souvenirs and art can be found. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Southall Travel, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Booking.com, Agoda, Holiday Gems, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Hotel Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Batu Ferringhi
- Golden Sands Resort By Shangri-La Penang, Malaysia