“Really Pleasant Two Weeks”
Review of Lone Pine Hotel

Lone Pine Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
East Midlands
“Really Pleasant Two Weeks”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My family and I stayed at the Lone Pine 5th August to 19th August 2014. We arrived fairly late in the evening to a complimentary fruit drink. My personal feeling was the welcome was a little lack-lustre, not quite up to the mark of our welcomes at other hotels in Batu Ferringhi. Maybe it was just tiredness.
We were shown to our rooms on the second floor, which were spacious and well maintained. The White wall with TV on facing the bed, looked a bit stark with nothing on it other than the tv. The bedroom could also benefit from a mirror. The view from the room was toward the beach, looking over the roof of a lower building and through some trees beyond.
The bathroom was well appointed plenty of mirrors in here, excellent shower with a choice of shower heads, one wall mounted with adjustable height, and another overhead, and always plenty of hot water. The rooms were well serviced every day with complimentary bottled water and soft drinks. House keeping also came round each evening to top up everything, including the fresh fruit bowl in the room.
On the first Thursday of our stay, we were invited to the Managers cocktail party in the bar where there was free flow drinks while senior staff members mingled with the guests. There was also a photographer on hand taking everyone’s picture and was delivered to your room with compliments the next day. During our stay we also received a couple of complimentary bottles of red wine, would have preferred white, but it is the thought that counts. We also received complimentary chocolates to our room.
Breakfast is served in the Bungalow restaurant, where we found ample choice; we did enjoy our breakfasts at the Lone Pine. There is one small issue though, no one seemed to be able fry eggs properly, the staff would put the oil in the frying pan, place the eggs in the hot pan, fine so far, but they just could not leave the egg alone to let the white set, they jiggled it around the pan, putting the spatula into the uncooked white mixing it around, trying to speed things up I assume, but invariably breaking the yolk in the process. The egg station, to me, was under equipped. Other hotels we have stayed in did fried eggs on a large griddle, enabling the cook to have several eggs cooking at the same time. At the Lone Pine there were only two small omelette pans trying to cope with fried, scrambled eggs and omelettes, against the volume of guests, needless to say the pressure was on for the poor staff. It also appeared a couple of the young cooks had been thrown in at the deep end. Probably with the thought, that anybody can cook eggs.
The pool area was also very pleasant to sit at, never seemed to get too busy, with plenty of nice soft towels on hand.
The Lone Pine is a sister hotel of the Eastern Orient Hotel, George Town, Penang, which is always mentioned in promotional literature, however, it is not the E&O and therefore does not compare with its standard, the standard is good at the Lone Pine, but the E&O is in a class of its own, rather like Raffles in Singapore.
Over all, we found the staff friendly, the hotel provided everything we needed and we do recommend the Lone Pine, we enjoyed our stay there and will return again…………….can’t wait!!!

Room Tip: Rooms 206 and 207 were well maintained
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank originalmorph

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Was here for a wedding and the hotel grounds were nice- lots of green, a decent pool, nice beach just out the back gate. The room was spacious, with a nice little patio with a back door that led to the garden (we got a ground floor).

There's a night market that starts at ard 7pm. Personally wish they'd have more local products but it was nice- gives u something to do in the evening.

Was hard to find local food near the hotel, which was a pity because Penang is pretty famous for its food. There were loads of mediterranean restaurants instead. A trip to town (where the heritage area is) is ard 30min by car.

As mentioned, if lazing ard by the pool/beach/hotel is what ure mainly there for, this hotel is perfect. The staff was definitely attentive and polite. Didn't get to eat at the hotel much apart from breakfast and it was alright. The Japanese restaurant apparently has one of the best sashimis (according to a local friend).

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Zeeryan
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I went to this hotel as it was the base for a friends wedding. The hotel is a good 30-40 minutes from Penang International Airport and could be longer if the traffic is especially busy. On arrival the hotel has a very modern boutiquey feel. If you arrive in the evening, expect the hotel to be dimly lit which could be a bit of a problem when unloading all your baggage.

The hotel staff are very pleasant but some can look slightly dazed and confused when you ask them a simple question. It could be a communication issue on my side but simple 'hotel' questions like 'when is check-out?' seemed to stump some of them.

The rooms are spacious and have a nice beach vibe. They are nicely decorated and have a plunge pool on the balcony. The bathroom and cupboards are slightly hidden and you have to slide and push back the white wooden panels to reveal the sections you want to get to. My advice is to either get a garden room or a high room with a nice view of the beach. The hotel does cater for private functions so if you don't like being disturbed stay as far away to the function rooms as possible. The rooms are clean but do feel slightly used and has that sea air damage with oxidation visible on some paintwork and metal surfaces. But it doesn't distract you to the fact it is still a nice hotel.

Right outside the hotel are a number of shops and amenities to ATMs, food places, pharmacies etc so all very useful. There are some lovely restaurants close and in walking distance or accessible via taxis that are dotted around the main road or bookable via reception. The night market is also outside the hotel where you can buy the usual touristy tat.

Overall it a well located hotel and a place you can while the hours away.

Room Tip: Find out if there is an event on when you book. Book your room number accordingly then.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

This is my first review on tripadvisor - something I feel compelled to do after my stay at the lone pine. After spending 2 nights at the E&O in Georgetown I, like many others reviewing was disappointed with this hotel. The following is a summary of why I feel this hotel is not 5 stars. The noise is excessive (weddings, night markets and a nearby amusement park often visited by wild dogs barking throughout the night), hawkers stalking the beach in front of the hotel waiting for tourists to exit it's gates like vultures, lack of friendliness by staff (smiling and saying hello to guests is a must and goes a long way - seemed the staff did not want to be there). I'm not saying this hotel is the pits by any means, I am just suggesting if you wish to pay 200 dollars plus a night there are much better locations to do it.

Stayed August 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We joined my daughter's godfather and sister here on their recent visit to Malaysia. They wanted a stay here as they had enjoyed their previous stays at this hotel. It was my first stay here and I was looking forward to it. Service was lacking from the start. There was no butler to help with our bags upon arrival. The reception during check-in gave the impression that she was more interested in whether I could afford to pay the 2 nights rate than giving a welcome befitting a Premier Boutique Beach Resort. There was no welcome cocktail and refreshing towel as printed on their Lone Pine confirmation email to us.

Breakfast was average. The juice was not chilled and the eggs was not done well.. I am not one to complain but I don't think they can match the standard of the Rasa Sayang Hotel next door where food and service is concerned. The staff also lack the warmth and friendliness of the Rasa staff.

To make matters worse, my daughter's god-sister was really looking forward to her stay at this hotel as she enjoyed lounging on the hammocks. Well, she only had them for 20 minutes on her first evening. It was taken down for the rest of her 4 days here as there was a wedding on the grounds that weekend. What a letdown for her.

Rooms though clean are a bit tired looking.The fruit basket had tired looking apples as well. The sitting area on the balcony is the only thing we enjoyed. We had traveled far and stayed in 4 hotels during this holiday and this hotel is at the bottom of our list while being one of the most costly.

Sad to say, I regret staying here and will return to the Rasa Sayang on my next trip back to Penang.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
KL
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I came here with my partner checking in on 13 August 2014 for 2 nights. My partner chose this hotel since the review was good; nice and peaceful they say. We checked in late at around 10pm. The check in process was being delayed since the person on duty were unable to find our booking, which was being made more than a month a go. I have to say that I am impressed with the room, it was big, comfortable and nicely decorated. We were given a deluxe room on lower ground, Room 805. The view was nice and we can hear the sound of the waves. The next morning I was shocked to find a USED toothpaste in the mug on the sink!! Do you know how disgusting that is?? Do they even clean the mug?? The hygiene and the way they clean the room is indeed questionable! We went for late breakfast. The spread was not that amazing but with fair food choices. But I am quite disturbed with flies flying around. We came back to our room around midnight assuming that our room will be sparkling clean. I was very disappointed that they did not fold and put the iron board and iron back into the closet. It was still at the exact same place where we left it. Isn't that a basic thing to do? To clean the room? Next, they did not replace my toothbrush and toothpaste with a new set. That's another basic thing that is supposed to do. Then, I find that the floor in the room and at the balcony was very sandy. Mind you, we did not went to the beach so it's rather impossible that we brought in sand from the beach. In terms of environment, it was amazing but in terms of hygiene and service, it is very disappointing. I am very unsure whether I will return to this hotel or not. Please improve.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SoniaSimone0906
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have stayed at The Lone Pine five times since 2003. My first three visits were before the most recent renovations. I have always been thrilled with the standard of accommodation with the nice large rooms, and the spaciousness of the lovely grounds. The pool is delightful and the bungalow restaurant is ideal for breakfast and the occasional evening meal if you don't feel like the bustle of the street. Over the years I have taken advantage of all the facilities in the complex, the gym, the spa, the shop and the fine dining restaurant - all excellent.
On one of my visits my travelling companion had to be hospitalised for a few days and the staff were extremely helpful in extending our stay and providing any extra service that they could.
In 2 weeks I will be returning for another visit (21 nights) where I will be very happy to do what I always do, that is, lazing by the pool during the day, catching the beautiful sunsets on the beach at 7pm and then visiting my favourite eating spots in the evening. With an occasional day out for sightseeing and shopping and a bit of haggling in the nearby markets at night, I find this the perfect spot to unwind. I have stayed at some other spots in Batu Ferringhi and they have all been very good but I save a special place for the Lone Pine.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 84 in George Town

Been to Lone Pine Hotel? Share your experiences!