My girlfriend and I stayed in Hopkins in January when we booked Jaguar Reef through a TIPPR discount deal. We were ecstatic to spend an entire week in a beach-view bungalow at an incredibly affordable rate. The negative reviews on this website are clearly posted by tourists that are used to staying in 5-star resorts. This is not a five star resort, but if you are a seasoned traveler and love the outdoors (which you should if you are going to Belize) then this hotel will meet and exceed your expectations.
After a long journey, we were welcomed by the friendly staff with two glasses of rum punch as they took our bags and prepared our room. Rick the bartender was a bad@$$. He made us whatever drinks we asked for (even if they weren't on the menu) and had a ton of great stories. Our room was very clean, equipped with a fridge, water jug and a nice shower. We had problems with bugs in the bathroom the first night, but they were quick to solve this problem and sealed the cracks for us the very next day. Honestly, you can't blame them for bugs and sand fleas, its a tropical country and this is part of the adventure.
The restaurant has tasty food and is very convenient, but you should definitely not rely on it for the majority of your meals. Experiencing the local cuisine in Hopkins was one of the best parts of our trip and we recommend branching out. But it's nice to know its there.
The hotel has several kayaks, diving masks+snorkels, and a catamaran for guests to take out at their leisure. They also have bicycles, but make sure you get up early before they all get taken.
The hotel offers daily activities you can sign up for at the front desk, but to be honest, you should find your own activities before you get there. You will get a better deal. But again, its nice to know its there.
Overall, we would go back and you should definitely go there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Proud member of ViVA BELiZE, the leading Hotel Group and Adventure Company in Belize for the past 20 years. This beachfront resort is - An Untouched Paradise offering a unique Jungle and Sea Venture. It is an oasis of relaxation, with sunny skies, panoramic views of the ocean and just minutes away from the Garifuna Fishing Village of Hopkins. Other features of Jaguar Reef Lodge & Spa: -WINNER 2015 TripAdvisor HALL OF FAME Award -FULL Service In-house Spa -Longest & Finest Beach in Belize -Pool with Swim up Tiki Bar -Kids pool -Beachfront Dining -Water Sports & Land Adventure Tour Desk ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Ebookers so you can book your Jaguar Reef Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jaguar Reef Hotel Hopkins
- Jaguar Reef Resort
- Jaguar Reef Lodge & Spa Belize/Hopkins