We stayed at Jaguar Reef Lodge in 2008 and wanted another vacation in a warm place this year. We looked at many, many places on the web that were in the Caribbean and finally decided that going back to Jaguar Reef was exactly what we wanted! We love the area of Hopkins and the people there. We enjoyed riding bikes into town to eat at a restaurant there and to buy things from the small gift shops. I don't believe there was an ATM in Hopkins when we were there in 2008, but we used it three times this trip! The staff at Jaguar Reef is wonderful--responsive to our needs, very friendly, and kind. We really love the beach cabana rooms; they are large and very pleasant, with a hammock and chairs on the porch. We liked to use our iPads, so we just sat on the beach, or at the pool, or in the lobby/restaurant area to do that and didn't find that a problem at all. Over the course of our two trips, we've gone on many of the tours. We've gone snorkeling twice and found that fascinating. The Mayan ruins trip was also wonderful, although it does take awhile to get there, but we expected that. This time we went horseback riding and loved that; looking out on the countryside from a ridge was lovely. Last time we did more hiking, but this time enjoyed swimming in the ocean with the large tubes that were provided, sitting on the lounge chairs under thatched roofs, and swimming in the pool. We rented a car (there is a great car rental place in Hopkins-Hopkins Car Rental--that the Jaguar Reef desk can call to make your reservations) and drove down to Placencia, since we'd never been there. It is much more touristy and we prefer Hopkins. We really like the way the country of Belize is interested in preserving the natural environment and has so many eco-tourism resorts. We thought the food at Jaguar Reef was much better than in 2008 (when it was okay, even so) and love the ambience of the restaurant, which is octagonal, and right on the beach, with doors that open up to it, so that you feel you're eating on the beach. One night we went to Chef Rob's, a few doors down, but liked the restaurant at Jaguar Reef better for the beauty of the location. The food was also much the same as at Jaguar Reef, we thought. We plan to go back next winter! Another note: If you want to help out the local people and animals, there is a Hopkins Belize Humane Society, a Clinic (for humans), a school for the kids, and a library. Last time we brought books in English for the school and this time visited the Humane Society when they had a spay/neuter clinic going on. All of these places can use donations. Easy things to bring for the Humane Society are leashes and collars for dogs, Revolution heart worm medication, and dry dog food (they give dog food to those in the area who need it for their animals). We didn't visit the Clinic, but I'm sure they need any kind of first aid supplies, latex gloves, and other items found easily in a drug store. We are not people who like a lot of "nightlife," so this area and resort are perfect for us. If you prefer much more excitement, this is not the place for you. It's peaceful and a wonderful, relaxing place to get away from a terrible North American winter!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Proud member of ViVA BELiZE, the leading Hotel Group and Adventure Company in Belize for the past 20 years. This beachfront resort is - An Untouched Paradise offering a unique Jungle and Sea Venture. It is an oasis of relaxation, with sunny skies, panoramic views of the ocean and just minutes away from the Garifuna Fishing Village of Hopkins. Other features of Jaguar Reef Lodge & Spa: -WINNER 2015 TripAdvisor HALL OF FAME Award -FULL Service In-house Spa -Longest & Finest Beach in Belize -Pool with Swim up Tiki Bar -Kids pool -Beachfront Dining -Water Sports & Land Adventure Tour Desk ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline and getaroom.com so you can book your Jaguar Reef Lodge & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jaguar Reef Hotel Hopkins
- Jaguar Reef Resort
- Jaguar Reef Lodge & Spa Belize/Hopkins