“If you're looking for a bargan and good company, go to Kismet”
Review of Kismet Inn

Kismet Inn
Reviewed 2 January 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed one night at Kismet Inn. First, the positive: I'm not sure you can find a much cheaper beach front location in Belize. In addition Trish and Elvis were very welcoming. They went above and beyond to make us feel at home. It was almost like living with a host family.Trish offered to make us dinner for about $11 US each. It was worth it--she made fresh bread (my boyfriend is still talking about it days after), two different kinds of fish, a delicious salad, and sauteed veggies. There was water and beer for purchase. The atmosphere was very chill. The two dogs were so sweet and the roaming chickens were fun to watch. We took long walks up and down the beach as well as several swims. Now, the negative: While the rooms are really inexpensive, they are very basic and rustic. My boyfriend had no issues with our dark and dreary room but I have to admit I might have paid more for something a bit nicer. The room was by no means cozy--it was dark and the bathroom could have used a good cleaning--especially the toilet. I did appreciate the mosquito bed net which allowed me to sleep without worrying about mosquitoes or other beach bugs. But overall, I was not thrilled with the room. In conclusion, you'll love this place if you don't care what your room looks like and just want a friendly place to chill on the beach.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MsAoKay

Reviewed 26 December 2011

This was my first trip to Belize, so I didn't know what to expect. I like to stay in authentic off-the-beaten path kind of places. Seeing how this place was about 3/8 mile from the center of the village, I already knew it was off-the-beaten path. Prior to arriving I had been in contact with the owner and agreed to bring her a couple of items from the u.s. that she had requested as well as reserving a room for 3 nights. I walked from the village to the place and was surprised/disappointed to learn that the owner had left and was not due back in the near future. Fortunately, one of the "resident guest", Conan, kindly took on the role as innkeeper and got me the keys to the hut. Thank you Conan for helping me out. (It was hot and humid and I didn't really feel like walking all over the village looking for another place to stay).

When this place was built (about 12 years ago) it may have been a decent place to stay. Lack of care and maintenance are taking its toll on this place. The window shutters in the hut were totally insecure (unless you consider string secure). This made me uncomfortable because on the first day I learned from the one other guest there that his laptop and cell phone were stolen from his room. A window screen is not enough to prevent a thief from stealing anything he can get his hands on.

Food- not much of it and never knew if and when it would be ready. I went to the store and got snack stuff to get me by. If you do stay there (or anywhere in Hopkins) find Ron the baker man. Awesome homemade breads, rolls, pastries, etc.

After 2 nites in this place (and no other guests to interact with), I walked into the village and stayed at the Funky Dodo hostel. This is THE place to stay. A manager/owner on site who works his butt off to make sure all of his guests are comfortable and well taken care of.

If you are a budget traveler or a curious/adventurous traveler, skip Kismet and stay with Will at the Funky Dodo. You'll be much, much happier there.

Room Tip: I don't know that there are any good rooms there, but I would not recommend staying in the hut...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Tomthetraveler99
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Tricia, the proprietor of Kismet Inn is a wonderful hostess. While I was in Hopkins village, she cooked lobster for dinner. In the morning, breakfast was Continental style with Tricia's home made banana, date, oatmeal bread. Another day, she sauteed a shark after marinating it in a liquid smoke celery, onion and garlic. She made a stock with the shark bones bones in lemon grass. She mixed a little corn starch with the stock it was so moist and juicy. She then steamed the broccoli chilled it added lemon and Tricia's aged Mango vinegar and topped it with shredded beet for color, sesame seeds for calcium and added caraway seeds for a nice pungent finish with a garlic Cole slaw. Great food!

Tricia always knows how to make things happen. That's her genius. That's what everybody comes back for.

So come to Kismet Inn in Hopkins Village! It's a home away from home.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Meridith G
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Stayed at Kismet for five wonderful days in early August. The rooms are rustic but clean and comfortable.
Spent my days basking in the sun, swimming with the manatees and walking along the beach. During the evening I kept in touch with family on my computer (yes there is a good free WIFI connection) and enjoyed more lively conversation over dinner and well into the evening. All my dinners were good (the prices posted in clear sight) and included fresh veggies and home-made bread.
I wonder if Missy063 has ever really been a guest at Kismet or is a disgruntled competitor as I found the kitchen very clean.
The only problem was with a neighbor, NorthBeach Restaurant, who felt that music can be enjoyed only at the loudest volume with the bass turned up. Since they were having a private celebration they cranked the music up until 3:30 in the morning both Friday and Saturday nights and started again first thing in the morning. By Monday my head was exploding from lack of sleep and excess noise and I sadly had to leave but with great memories of Kismet and new friends.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Mikela L
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We just returned from Kismet Inn, at Hopkins Beach, in Belize, and it was a unique experience. The prices there are the most reasonable in all of Hopkins. The fresh bread made daily by our Hostess, Tricia, was so delicious, served with her home made mango preserves and fresh delicious coffee. And what a great lunch and dinner cook she is too! We were able to eat like kings, everything was so fresh. The place was nice and clean. I never saw Tricia sit down to rest until late evening. She is always bustling around, cleaning, washing, raking the beach, pruning, organizing tours for us. She made us laugh almost nonstop with her great sense of humor. We will definitely be back again, and will recommend her place to all of our friends and family.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nancyrose G
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Lured in by the signs and clear pricing, it appeared to be a decent deal. Soon however Trish started with her "offers". Sensing that something was up, we refused her meals snacks tours and products. In the end we were only gouged for the coffees we drank, the one thing she told us was for free. The beach chairs are falling asleep, the bikes broken, the shower cold and full of bugs, I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Melissadegraw
Reviewed 23 January 2011

Kismet is right on the beach in Hopkins, Belize. The beach is beautiful and the place is fairly clean - though the restaurant didn't seem that clean. The room was ok, but there were lots of openings in the wall that someone might be able to look through. Also, someone had a very loud conversation in the morning that made it difficult to sleep. Finally, Hopkins apparently is not on the grid for water, so they ran out of water during the night. There was a hot shower, which I enjoyed before the water ran out - though the shower was outside and you had to shower in your swimsuit. We did meet some interesting people there. It wasn't awful, but it is definitely no-frills.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple