We were travelling on a budget and only came here for the hiking and waterfalls.
We arranged to be picked up from the bus terminal in Dangriga ($70 USD + tax for both ways). We didn't have a cellphone to notify them of our arrival, but Elmer assured us that the shuttle would be waiting for us. Well, we waited for over an hour and ended up having to buy minutes to use a payphone (the taxi drivers at the bus terminal were really helpful with this). I suspect the hotel staff forgot that we were waiting. This was really frustrating as we were tried since we had already travelled for 4 hours and could have simply paid $40 USD for a taxi to take us there (it's about a 35 min drive) Eventually the shuttle showed up and upon our arrival to the hotel, Elmer completely down played this mishap and said that he "would make it up to us". I looked forward to this, but it never materialized. After waiting for so long, complimentary juice would have appeased me. Nevertheless, he gave us a room with 2 twins bed (where the toilet was broken) even though we were clearly a couple and booked 1 double bed. This really was not a big deal as it just involved us moving our bags, but it exemplifies his degree of astuteness. The Mayan house room we stayed in was pretty basic and met my expectations. When checking out, double check your bill as Elmer attempted to overcharge us by $55 USD.
We didn't do any of the excursions as we found them to be too pricey. The cheapest item on the menu was the zipline, $65 USD/person. The 40 min hike to the top of Antelope Falls was a little strenuous, but the swimming area there was the big reward. The hike to Bocawina Falls was far more easy. They don't recommend going past the lower falls, but we hiked to the upper falls for a little more adventure. Of course, they charge $115 USD/person for a guide to take you to past the lower falls to the other falls.
The redeeming feature of this place was the food. It was excellent and the chef was very friendly and made sure you were happy with your meal. The menu for dinner was arranged in the afternoon and the cheapest main was $35 BZE, but came with an appetizer and dessert. The portions were very large! On our second night we decided to split our meal and they thoughtfully put everything on 2 separate plates. Also, breakfast is included. One day we were given a slice of pineapple, yogurt and soft vanilla bunt cake. The next day we were able to order from the menu.
Beware of the bugs. I believe they are called botlass flies and they are far more pesky than mosquitoes. Cover up and wear lots of DEET!
If you are a budget traveller, I recommend that you take a taxi, bring your own food and stay only one night.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bocawina Rainforest Resort & Adventures is located in the heart of Mayflower Bocawina National Park. We are powered by hydro and solar. We have 6 standard rooms, 3 rooms in Traditional Thatched Cabanas, 3 deluxe rooms, all with with ceiling fans and private bathrooms hot and cold showers. We have a restaurant and bar on location and we serve local food as well as other dishes and we provide vegetarian meals on request. Our on-site activities include: Zip-lining in the longest Zipline course in Central America (Night zip-lining also available); Waterfall Rappelling in three different waterfalls; Hiking trough the jungle and swimming on different waterfall pools (we have 5 waterfalls); Birdwatching tours (with local Mayan guide with over 20 years of experience); Mayan ruin tours (the park has two unexcavated Mayan Temple Mounds). Off-site activities include Mayan Ruin tours, Monkey River tours, Cave tubing, Horseback riding in the jungle, Cultural tours, Spice farm tour, and snorkeling/diving. And our new Tikal National Park tour (Guatemala). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Bocawina Rainforest Resort & Adventures reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mama Noots Eco Hotel Dangriga
- Bocawina Rainforest Resort & Adventures Belize/Hopkins