“Awesome place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 19 Hopkins B&B and Inns
Windsor California
“Awesome place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

My husband, daughter, and I had a wonderful time staying at MamaNoots. Since we were traveling during the off season, we were the only overnight guests at the resort. The staff took excellent care of us, and we were able to wake up and listen to the sound of birds while drinking our coffee. Maria and Sayid were so helpful and kind that my nine year old daughter spent her own money for toys to tip the staff! The ziplining was amazing; it was so safe that I was able to concentrate on the incredible rush of flying through the jungle. We also had a great tour of the Mayan ruins from Pedro; he was incredibly knowledgeable and taught us a lot about the Belizean culture. I would go again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Howler Monkey room, which had a screened in porch. This allowed us to relax without...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Canders78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Bartlesville, Oklahoma, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

First five second impression: where do I go? The entrance is the restaurant / bar - so it felt like you enter the wrong way despite the sign outside. The bartender told me that registration is on the other side of the bar and from that point on the process was delightful. They quickly tended to our luggage and gave us an introduction to the property.

Dinner was AWESOME with Said serving as the waiter (we are here in the off season so it's slower and staff pulls double duty - Said tends bar too).

Mo was the chef and he really knows what he's doing. We had a choice between 3 dishes and ended up ordering all 3 and loved them all. (We ordered the pork tenderloin to split between our group of three). Needless to say - we slept good in our beautiful casita? We needed the sleep for the next day we would hike up antelope falls.

The next day our hike was at 9 and we wanted to let breakfast settle before we hiked. We ordered our food by about 8:05 but it took about 40 minutes to get breakfast so we would hike up with swollen bellies. Yikes. Our meal service (refills and such) was a lot faster the night before - but again, it's off season - so that may be why there was a slow breakfast experience.

The day before we hiked up Tiger Fern in Cockscomb Basin. That wore out my wife and I (we are 48 and 49 and in reasonably good health and exercise at home - but we don't hike at home). We squirted sweat from every pore. We mentioned early that the hike was a perfect pace - then the path turned steep and the guide kicked into turbo mode causing our hearts to pump out of our chest. That's why we were reluctant to go up to Antelope Falls. We almost cancelled but Iris, the coordinator, assured us that our guides would listen to us and would watch closely to slow down if we need to. We agreed (my wife very reluctant) and Toni and Oscar met us after breakfast for first introductions.

Let me say this about Toni and Oscar (rappelling Antelope requires two guides) --- out of the over 15 different guides we've had in Belize for various activities and excursions - Toni and Oscar tie for first place in "My Favorite Guides in Belize" (Chris at thatch caye dive ranks up there too.)

Although Antelope was steep the last half - Toni and Oscar took time to show us various wildlife and items of interest (Emerald Toucan, wild looking lizards, leaf cutting ants and their soldiers, crabs, rubber tree, bright mushrooms and medicinal plants), making the journey go by quickly. We had a little apprehension about the rappelling part - but our guides made it so much fun for us. Everyone had a blast, nearly 50 year old parents and 15 year old daughter. Rappelling Antelope just made it to my top 3 things to do in Belize and the number one thing in the southern coast area. Other Belize activities we like were the ATM cave in Western Belize we also like the Cayes to dive. So this ranks up there with these!

Toni and Oscar did such a great job that we tipped over 20%..... And I wish I could have given twice that much ---- they are worth it.

Wear pants or hiking pants with zip off legs. My wife and daughter wanted to use bug repellant and wear shorts - needless to say, I had less bites with my long sleeve shirt (that the sleeves can roll and button up) and pants. After reviewing shirts that can dry overnight in high humidity I found the Columbia Super Tamiami line to work great (my wife found a Magellan shirt made of material that was close to that Tamiami line that worked too.). I also tried many brands of hiking pants and liked the Magellan ones but the PrAna were the best. They have a stretch that I really liked. The Kuhl stealth series are nice too but took longer to dry.

Our last night we had lobster and a banana desert they Mo created... AWESOME (I had to have two desserts). Some of those rocks were slick - but not as slick as the showers (the water mineral content must have made our shower floor very slick). I was actually more frightened of falling in the shower than I was falling on the Antelope Falls hike or the rappel down.

The staff helped greatly with any needs and we decided to hike up to the smaller Bowtwana falls the next morning before we left for home.

We had a quick lunch of chicken nachos (the same lunch we had the day before) and then were off to the airport. I remember someone complaining on trip advisor of stale chips - ours were GREAT. The second day breakfast and lunch came quicker with the same waitress.

I am always cautious of ice and water and thin skinned vegetables in foreign countries but the staff assured me that it was all purified mountain water. We had no problems and ate and drank freely.

I would say it was the best mainland accommodations on the eastern side of Belize we've seen. What a great way to end our vacation!

Room Tip: My tip for the hike - wear pants or hiking pants with zip off legs. PrAna dries fast and are more co...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank AnApple
Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

My six-year old son and I did the zipline tour through the jungle canopy and had tons of fun! We really enjoyed the scenery, and our guides Roberto and Wilson were really conscientious, knowledgeable, and focused on our well being.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rachelmiura
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband and i visited Mama-Noots in June. we had five wonderful nights, four adventure-filled days! At first we were nervous since neither of us are "beach" type people. But the staff was wonderful to us, arranging day trips, helping us by packing lunches with my dietary restrictions in mind! We never felt that we were in over our heads, since the hikes and trips were arranged for us and one other couple, Even though most of the staff was helping the zip-line folk, they arranged to send one kind staff man with us for a jungle hike to the waterfall. He made sure our pace was set according to the slowest hiker! The food at the restaurant was great!The first night we arrived when it was nearly dark, so they helped us by sending a staff person with a flashlight after our first great meal! Over-all the staff, the meals, the resort, the service and kindness was great;

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FRP S
Albuquerque
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed here for three nights and the room and restaurant were awesome; clean, good water pressure, etc. The staff were also very friendly and helpful. There are lots of things to do in the area and on the property of the lodge including waterfall rappelling and a long zipline. There are also great hiking trails including the fantastic and tough Antelope Falls trail. And at the end of the day Chef Mo's food is perfect. You can't go wrong here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlbuquerqueYeti
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We visited mama noots from July 18-22. It was a fabulous time! Everyone was so nice and the food was superb! The first day we took a rain forest hike with Pedro to the antelope falls. Pedro is so knowledgeable of the jungle. He filled our minds with history of the Mayans and everything that lives in the rain forest. We hiked to the top and swam in the pool. So fun! The second day Pedro drove us to Hopkins ($45 USD). We rented a motorbike and drove to placencia. The road of 26 speed bumps! Ha! Seriously, so beautiful. The third day and we drove to St. Herman's cave and did cave tubing. Pedro told us to hook up with Neko to guide us. We then returned to Hopkins and Pedro picked us up ($45 USD). We left on the forth day and we were really sad to say goodbye to Pedro. We didn't have time to do the zip line but it looked really cool. The only hiccup we had was that the ceiling fan didn't work appropriately in the gladiola suite so we change to the antelope suite. It has amazing views. My only personal complaint was that there was no A/C. I know....spoiled American at a Eco lodge wants A/C. But that's me. If you are looking for a super cool adventure with amazing food and people...this is the place for you. You have to pay big $$ to get transportation to Hopkins. The ride is 30-45 min. So you probably just want to do the things at mama noots. And there are plenty of things to do!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jenna G
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Had a superb experience ziplining at Mama Noots. Oscar and Jose were very helpful in explaining in great detail all the procedures. They were an absolute blast! Thanks guys for an awesome experience!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopkins
Parrot Cove Lodge
#5 of 11 in Hopkins
Coconut Row Guest House
Coconut Row Guest House
#2 of 19 in Hopkins

Been to Bocawina Rainforest Resort & Adventures? Share your experiences!