“Honeymoon Destination”

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Hopkins
Turlock, California
“Honeymoon Destination”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My Husband and I were traveling on our honeymoon, and had heard great things about Hopkins. When the cab driver dropped us off 2 miles away from Parrot Cove we took our big backpacks and walked there. Without having prior reservations they took us in with open arms. They even upgraded us for our honeymoon. The property is very clean and well managed. The access to the kayaks, snorkel gear, and bikes make your stay stress free. We booked a few excursions through the office and everything was hassle free. The staff was extremely kind, and went out of there way to make sure we had a good time. The bar tender Mike was amazing! Leticia at Love on The Rocks really Rocked!!! The two of them went out of there way to give us top notch service! Between Love on the Rocks and Chef Rob's restaurant which is connected to the property you won't have a bad dining experience. I would suggest reserving your table early because it fills up fast.

Room Tip: The beach house offers a view that takes your breath away!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Grace F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is a great hotel. It had simple clean rooms, but it's location, restaurant and beach made it wonderful. The front desk staff were amazing too. The pier and beach right out front were so quiet and relaxing, and you can actually swim here. The hotel is just outside of town and is an easy bike ride into town (the hotel has bikes to borrow for free). This hotel is surrounded by much more expensive hotels, but his is a perfect place to enjoy the same wonderful location. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Any hotel room is nice, all face pool but not beach. There is a separate house that can be rented t...
Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ToddyD
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I visited Belize three times in the past six months, this was my first to Hopkins. Parrot Cove is a nice place for simple, clean rooms with a comfortable seating / tv area. I love the tile showers that I seem to constantly see throughout Belize. Love it! Nice pool, though I'm all about swimming in the Caribbean! Amazing pier w/ palapa, lets you jump right into the sea!

Room Tip: Room #1 is closer to the restaurants and beach!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank ChezYergs
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We booked the top floor of the beach house and it was everything we expected and more. The view of the beach and the sea was incredible. The resort offered everything you could want. The staff were amazing. We felt spoiled by the service they provide, from the maid service to the amenities. All we had to do was mention a tour or an activity and the office staff would look after everything for us. They booked transportation and whatever else was involved, paid for it and just added it to our room bill. Would we go back again? You better Belize it.

Room Tip: The beach house is very quiet and private. Very spacious.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Parrot Cove was in a perfect location in Hopkins, right on the beach and with a helpful and accommodating staff. Perfect location in case you want to do a boat pickup to the cayes for a day or for diving (we worked with Happy Go Luckie for the boat services). There are two restaurants at Parrot Cove Lodge and both are run by Chief Rob, with great land and sea dishes. We went to Love on the Rocks, where they cooked the food on a heated stone in front of you. All reasonably priced and smaller lodge so you did not feel overcrowded.

Room Tip: Book early since they only have a handful of rooms. However, all the resorts/lodges are fairly clos...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Our stay started out very well right from our airport pickup from Jamal. Very cool guy who gave us lots of information on the towns and history of Belize. The room was very nice, the artwork on the walls and the wood ceilings made it feel homey and tropical, and the AC worked well, which made it easy and comfy to sleep (when the kids in the nearby rooms weren't screaming, we will get to that later). There were hammocks and bikes for us to use, which we happily did, although we did walk to town 4 or 5 times. The turndown service was fantastic, they did a great job each day with our room, even big beautiful flowers on our bed one night. Chef Robs restaurant is also a MUST. The food is amazing and the menu changes daily, using all fresh organic foods, nothing imported. The only thing that really sucked was the people who came halfway through our trip. I'm sure they are quite lovely people, but their kids were like wild animals, starting their screaming at 8am, and were out by the pool a lot of the time, screaming, not giggling like normal kids. Bratty screaming. The little children in the streets of Hopkins behaved so much better, how come they couldn't? Even the 4 other people hanging out on the dock were saying how they just needed to get away from them. But this was not the fault of the hotel obviously. We were on hikes and diving all the days but 1, so we weren't at there in the room all day.

Room Tip: Be aware if you travel when kids have off, you may end up like us, with kids screaming outside your...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hikingchickie
Manakin Sabot, Virginia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I booked five days over Christmas intending a "remote getaway" - my first extended experience travelling alone. I was concerned that I'd be lonely, bored or go stir-crazy. Thank you to the management and staff of Parrot Cove Lodge for assuring one of my best travel experiences ever. Corrie, Rob and Norma greeted me by name upon arrival. Most of the staff got to know me likewise - they were kind but never overbearing. As Corrie explained to me, this is only possible because of the boutique nature of the resort - I believe there are only six rooms plus a duplex beach house next door.
Luckily for me, there was an overbooking error which caused me to be upgraded to a spacious suite. The room was super-clean, fresh, light, and well-furnished. The bed and linens were luxuriously comfortable. The kitchenette was convenient.
While I was intent on sampling the local food in the village (and I did), I also wanted to try the well-reviewed Chef Rob's once. I ended-up having such a great dinner there on my night of arrival (four course lobster meal for $40), I also had Christmas eve dinner there, and three breakfasts overlooking the beach. The positive reviews are well-deserved - I cannot gush enough! Chef Rob's menu (which changes daily) is full of fresh and exciting twists on the locally-available foods... not so haute, twisted or experimental to challenge your palate... just fresh, creatively prepared and delicious! The courses were served at a "proper" tempo, with just enough waitstaff attention, and a greeting by Chef Rob nightly.
I came with no plans for shuttles or excursions, but the front desk was always helpful setting up a cab ride to the village, a buggy rental and a fishing trip with a local guide. On site, there were ocean kayaks, awesome beach hammocks, a lovely small pool, pier, manicured beach, and snorkel equipment.
I realize that Hopkins may not be everyone's idea of an ideal getaway. It is quiet, there is little nightlife, and the tiny village is somewhat remote (2 miles by a potholed dirt / mud road). The village is impoverished and more than a little rustic. However, I found the locals and visitors to be colorful, personable and exceedingly friendly people. The locals are a mix of many cultures including a large expat population - all willing to share their stories. As well, there are a multitude of tiny back-alley craft shops, eateries and bakeries which I enjoyed. For an inquisitive solo traveler, I found this place and its people to be very uplifting and the experiences enriching.
I did have the opportunity to speak with other folks from a larger neighboring resort in a shared cab back to the airport, who were less thrilled by the service at their resort.
Summarily, for the traveler that wants to get away to a location like Hopkins, Belize, I cannot imagine a better resort than Parrot Cove. Thank you ever so much to Corrie, Chef Rob and the staff for a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: I wouldn't think that any of the rooms (six or seven, I think) are lesser than others, although...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Mason H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopkins
Maya Beach Hotel
#3 of 11 in Hopkins
Hopkins Bay Resort
Hopkins Bay Resort
#5 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Parrot Cove Lodge? Share your experiences!