“dragging me to the bus to leave”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hopkins
Hamanasi Adventure and Dive Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Hopkins
GreenLeadersGold level
Galena, Illinois
“dragging me to the bus to leave”
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Will be leaving here in 15 minutes, wanted to review while still fresh. Great location on the Beach, extremely clean and very consious on keeping it that way. Not one bad meal the entire stay 7 days. Excellant fruit for breakfast and lunchs fresh, but diners meals were the the highlight. Bikes to ride, kayaks avaialble art any time. I recieved my open water diving certificate here and Mario was great. I recomended him to different people and thay all loved his attitude. He was fabulous with a young man that was slightly disabled and could not get the knaack of diving. He was smooth and gentle and let him know thaat he was not going to be ale to be a diver. He handled it great.

I had a bite that hit on the ankle during a hike. swelled up pretty big, the staff arranged for a doctor to come to site very quickly and give some required shots. They went above and beyond during and after the accidednt. They were almost as good as a mother in that degree.

we would suggest to anyone that wants to simply relax, but they have so many activities for you to do, you could easily go home more tired than when you arrived.

Room Tip: Beachfront is really nice but not as secluded as the tree houses. We stayed in #9 two nights beachf...
1 Thank Ric n Pat W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
Nashville,TN
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Let me start by saying that I have never written a review and think that sometimes people are paid to write some of the things that they say...so this is highly unusual for me to do something like this, but I had to let others know about my experience at Hamanasi.
This is the best vacation that I have ever had...and I've been to Jamacia, Mexico, Dominica Republic, etc. This place is absolutely top notch and blows them all away. From the time you arrive you feel welcome. Melonie, at the front desk, makes things happen. She was so accommodating and helped us set up everything that we wanted to do. The staff is amazing as they will call you by your name during your stay. We were at the pool one afternoon talking about how cool it would be to have one of the coconuts that were up in the trees that surround the pool, and how we would like to taste the coconut milk. Well, the next day at the pool Franklin, the pool boy, walks over to us and hands us a fresh coconut with a straw in it. He says "I thought you guys might want this". Franklin was awesome, he went out of his way to ensure that we were comfortable and didn't want for anything...thanks Franklin! There are other instances where a staff member overheard us talking about something and the next thing we knew we had it or it was being set up for us. It is that kind of attention to detail that sets this place apart from all others.
The diving was great as well. We were able to go on 4 dives and 2 snorkling trips in the week we were there. One of the dive instructors, Mario, was very knowledgeable and patient. He really knew his stuff and knew where to go to see really neat stuff...thanks Mario!
In addition to the water activities there were a lot of inland adventures as well. We went to the Mayan ruins, zip lining, horseback riding through orange groves and the jungle and just drove around town in a golf cart one afternoon. There is so much to do there...or you could just chill by the pool or on the beach. I also have to give a shout out to Ambro, I made a request for something exotic, and kinda elusive that I was after all week and on the last day he walks up and hands it to me...thanks Ambro!
As you can tell, we had a great time. You cannot go wrong with this place, I guarantee it!

Room Tip: the honeymoon suite was really nice...but so was the treehouse.
2 Thank Charles and Jen... V
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 May 2012

My family and I have done 4 dives so far with Mario and Martin from the Hamanasi dive shop. They were fantastic! My family were all advance divers and I am only a beginner so I felt really nervous before our first dive of the trip. Once I got into the water I started to panic because I felt really uncomfortable and a little terrified. Mario quickly helped me calm down my nervous and got me to focus and breathe. He was extremely patient and kind and helped me get back into the swing of diving. He was literally my xanax!! Mario and Martin were great masters for all levels of divers. I'm hoping we can dive with them on our final two dives. I would highly recommend diving with these two dive masters!

1 Thank Morgan P
Logan, Utah
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Our fourth trip back to Hamanasi was as wonderful as the previous three! This is a place for those seeking a small, quiet, intimate resort where staff and guests can get to know each other. The food is wonderful, the adventures are even better than described on the resort website, and the pristine reef is heaven for divers of all ability. The dive staff is incredible - our daughter certified there 4 years ago as a 14 year old and is still talking about the experience (her dive instructor is still at Hamanasi). We will return again.

1 Thank Kim C
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Everything was fantastic - staff who all know your name, rooms are great, love the eco friendly part a lot, hanging out at the pool, meeting the other guests who were as friendly as the staff, trips they take you on. Saw tons of birds, fish, beautiful coral. Nothing bad to say about the place.

Room Tip: We liked the beach front room but we met a couple in the tree house and liked the privacy.
1 Thank nlw56
Sydney
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Hamanasi is paradise, but paradise staffed by a most genuine, kind hearted gracious people. The staff in every area seem genuinely open hearted, interested in making the guest's stay in Belize as pleasant, informative and memorable as possible.
Accommodations are very comfortable, clean and perfectly appointed. Dining room and bar are casual, relaxed and have everything you could desire. Activities are varied and well organized.
The now famous "scuba whisperer", Mario, was able to relax a very nervous diver into certifying as a PADI Scuba Diver, a miracle worker!
We would not hesitate to recommend this resort, or to return.

1 Thank SydneyDoodah
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We stayed at Hamanasi in April for a week and had a wonderful experience. Since the reviewers have highlighted some of the strengths so many times, I wanted to comment on the great time we had SCUBA diving with their team. Our daughter, 12, arrived having only had a couple of resort dives in swimming pools. Mario in the dive shop spent a whole day with her in the pool to get her through the confined water training. At the same time, he patiently taught my 10 year old what he needed to a resort dive in the ocean. And he reviewed the rusty diver topics with me. Then he took all of us diving, masterfully minding our novice 10 year old and teaching our 12 year old what she needed to get certified. The other dive instructors seemed great too but Mario is excellent.

The dive boat was well organized and well staffed. We had a total of four great dives over two days at beautiful spots that were about 30 minutes out with a pleasant snack break in between the dives each day on an idyllic little island where Hamanasi provided fruits, punch, and cookies. It was the perfect place to initiate the kids to diving and I’d like to think we’ll go back to get our other kids certified there some day. There are deeper dives further out, but for the kids the close reef dives at 40’ depth were just right.

Another day we wanted to go snorkeling but since we have a 7 year old he was nervous about doing it from the boat. So Hamanasi left us and a guide on the same little island referenced above and we swam out to a beautiful snorkeling spot from there. We had a mellow morning goofing around on the island before going back to the mainland with the dive boat. The guide was friendly, knowledgeable, and pointed out all sorts of fish and managed to encourage a massive lobster to come out of his lair so we could gawk at him.

Since our 7 year old had to sit out one morning because we all diving, the hotel arranged a sitter. She had two boys of her own and our son had fun with her. All of the staff were friendly to him that they all knew him by name at the end of the week. They helped him collect coconuts and get the juice out, etc. He was in Heaven.

Hamanasi’s flexibility in putting the snorkerling outing together for us really impressed me since they have multiple dive boats and inland adventures going daily but they still wanted to get a custom outing just right for us. But as you can tell from the other reviews, that is their way!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Chris O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopkins
Parrot Cove Lodge
Belizean Dreams
Belizean Dreams
#2 of 11 in Hopkins
Almond Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Hamanasi Adventure and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!