“dream honeymoon!”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Hopkins
Lawrence, Kansas
“dream honeymoon!”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

From our first interaction with Almond beach, they were looking out for the customer. My husband and I missed our connecting flight that they had booked for us, and the flight company told us that we were going to have to stay overnight in Belize City. One phone call to Almond Beach, and we had transportation for that night arranged. It was much longer than we expected, but they took care of us well.
The room was gorgeous and very well maintained. One tip I would say is be careful about wiping your feet when coming inside, we got sand all over our bed because we were not careful about this.
Most of the time we ate at the resort, which was good. We went to Chef Rob's one night to be fancy, and the food was good but a little too strange for my taste. (they had watermelon salad with wasabi on it... it was interesting). Honestly, the best meal we had was when we ordered a pizza to the resort from Brother's in town. The pineapple was fresh and delicious!
We didn't get to do many excursions because it rained most of the time when we were there (darn rainy season-but at least it was rainy and warm!), but we did get to go snorkeling, which was one of the highlights of the entire trip (we went to sleeping giant after this). The guide was knowledgeable and made me feel safe.
One of the things that made this resort so special was the customer service. There was always someone on staff available to talk to and give good tips about activities and places to eat. Because my husband and I don't drink, they went out of their way to get us non-alcoholic champagne to celebrate our honeymoon. There were a lot of little surprises that made this resort special and a honeymoon we will always remember.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Joy L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a week long stay at this underrated gem of a resort. Three adults staying at the Verandah 2, situated next to the Buterfly Spa, and is the last unit on the property.This is the only vacation that I can honestly say that every member of the Almond Beach Resort that we encountered was most accommodating, most pleasant, friendly and eager to please from our pick up at the local airport to the day of our departure.

For example:
1-We were very hungry upon arrival due to flight delays but the kitchen was closed in preparation for dinner. Without much fuss, Marceyele, at the reception desk asked us what we would prefer and left to see what she could do. She returned with a smile, reassuring us they will whip up some food for us, which they did.

2-We also asked where we could get some matches to light up our Cuban cigars purchased at the airport, and within half an hour of our settling into the room (king size bed with two wall beds, a sitting area in a spacious room that opens up to a private glassed porch directly on the beach , with your own hammock, two lounge chairs, umbrella and glass top table) we got a knock on the glassed veranda door, to find a fellow sporting two books of matches that he went to town to get.

3-We asked the bartender for three wine glasses and a wine bottle opener for our room, and he immediately obliged.

4-We saw the grounds maintenance crew carting away debris and coconuts that fell to the ground . We asked if there is any juice in those coconuts...he said let's see..he whipped out a machete sliced off the bottom, chiseled off the top until he created a hole and gave us the coconut overflowing with coconut water. Same when we asked if there was a aloe Vera plant growing on the premises ...he disappeared and within minutes returned with several aloe leaves that we used to treat our very itchy "no-see-um fly" bites.

Food:
After reading some not so favorable resort food reviews, at first we were reluctant to succumb. That was a big mistake, because honestly, other than Chef Rob's down the path, the meals we had at Almond Beach were superior in quality, and freshness.
The Sunday barbecue buffet on the beach was outstanding. (White tablecloth service on the sandy beach) For $22US we had unlimited helpings of (grilled on the beach, on demand) lobster tails, pork ribs, chicken kabob, pork tenderloin, grilled sausage, cheese/chicken casadillas, roasted potatoes, the best fresh cole slaw made with ginger shavings, mixed salad, grilled vegetables, freshly made carrot cake(they have a baker on the premises), a bowl of fresh pineapple, papaya, watermelon. All the while lunch was complimented by live local band entertainment.

The $8US Continental breakfast was accompanied by daily freshly squeezed orange juice, grapefruit juice, and watermelon juice. As well as daily baked fruit muffins, cakes, chocolate croissant, cheese/ham rolls. Delicious Papaya jelly, and peanut butter, local yogurt, fruit, cereals, hard boiled eggs and homemade bread.

Another lunch consisted of a fish salad on a crispy, warm roll with tomatoes and lettuce, and I had the fish and chips. The fish was fresh flaky grouper fried in a crispy spicy batter.(well drained of oil)
I just can't say enough about the current quality of the food.

In contrast to Almond Beach, earlier on in our stay we tried a dinner in the more upscale Hamanasi restaurant and we're quite disappointed in the quality. Our adult daughter ordered grilled lobster tail ($70) that was large and very, very tough! It required a special serrated knife to saw through the tasteless meat. My husband ordered grouper that was floating in thick brown , salty bean sauce. Overall, the food experience at Hamanasi was below average in quality, and taste and well above average in price. In Chef Rob's down the road, $59will get you a four course above average dinner in a intimate ambiance setting.

Excursions:
We booked the snorkeling through Almond Beach...a 30 minute high speed boat ride dropped us off with a guide at the coral reef for a spectacular underwater adventure to include siting the 8foot long Grand Barracuda! The equipment is provided free of charge for daily use at the resort. The sea water was much warmer than the pool water.
We also went on the guided 6mile hike to the Antilope Mayfare waterfalls with an extremely pleasant, knowledgable guide. The last segment of the uphill climb is quote strenuous, and slippery, but rope is provided along the path to aid in the climb. Beware, the water in the waterfall pool is extremely cold.
Our zip line tour was cancelled because not enough people signed up (need 4 people).

One word of advice is to ask for a review of your bill the night before you check out to thoroughly review the pages of charges. We found that we were charged double the fee for the two excursions we took! The brochure fees were listed for $70 pp US, however our bill listed $280ppBelize! Big difference. They immediately made the correction when I bought it to their attention.

One last comment re bugs. My daughter and I each left with over 500 very itch bites mostly on our extremeties. That's after diligently applying skin so soft moisturizer, showering with skin so soft gel, spraying our body diligently with citronella BugOFF. My husband had one bite! We tried topical Neosporin, topical Hydrocortizone , Benadryl tabs with no relief. We are still pretty itchy at times covered with red chicken pox looking lesions. We had two days of partial sun, the rest was mist, rain and two days of high winds.
The pure Aloe Vera from the plant was the only thing that provided temporary relief .

Cheers to all the people of Belize who have the biggest hearts and are so welcoming to the visitors.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Molly G
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My family and I just returned from a trip to Almond Beach, and we had such a wonderful 6 days that I feel compelled to compliment this resort.
This resort is beautiful with clean, spacious casitas literally just steps away from the beach and the pool. The pools were superb. We spent some days swimming in the infinity pool and enjoying cocktails from their swim up bar which was very refreshing.
From the moment we check in, I will simply state that the service was fantastic. Whatever you want, the staff will get for you. For example, we had lobster dinner (loved it!) on the dock, breakfast (delicious fry jacks) on our veranda, massages on dock, champagne in our room at check in. It was absolutely perfect!
Excursions were all set-up by the front desk, who were very friendly, accommodating and knowledgeable. We went out snorkelling the great Belize Barrier Reef. We also visited the jaguar preserve and went on a zip lining and repelling excursion. They all added to an already incredible experience.
We wanted to tour Hopkins on our last day so it was nice to have the use of a golf cart to get to town to explore.
We thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our time there and would love to go back soon!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Mark N
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My wife and I visited this resort for the second half of our trip to Belize. The views were beautiful, and the beach pristine, but the room and resort accommodations were average. The food was alright, but a quick walk down the beach led to some fantastic dining experiences. We took a couple of tours that were amazing with helpful guides. I would highly recommend the luminescence tour if they are offering it, there are plankton that luminesce in the lagoon at certain times of the year that are truly fascinating. Overall I think the resort is a great value for your money, especially if you are looking for unique experience.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rrgdon
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at Sleeping Giant lodge for 4 days followed by 4 days at Almond Beach. We had an "Ocean View" room. So I can't comment on the other rooms. Our room was spacious and downright beautiful, with a breathtaking view. It rained most of the days we were here, but we did a scuba trip, a couple's massage and the "birds of paradise" birdwatching trip. We loved all three of them. I also went out on their (free/available for use) ocean kayaks and did that a bit. Our room was right beside the coffee shop on-site, so that was convenient.

The property itself is gorgeous. It was exactly like you'd imagine a Belize beach resort to be, honestly. The staff was all extreeeemely nice. My wife and I kept saying how nice everyone was. Same at Sleeping Giant really. One of the managers, (the lady from South Africa (cannot remember her name for the life of me)) was great. We talked to her most mornings and afternoons, as she was wandering around the restaurant and grounds just talking to people and making sure everything was running good.

Overall, we had a great time despite it being a completely cloudy/rainy week. It was uncharacteristically rainy, so it was certainly on the resort's fault, and we couldn't have asked for anything more from the resort.

Also, the restaurant "Iris' Sunny Side Up" near the resort had THE best beef/chicken burritos I've ever had. Honestly. I half-live off Tex-mex, and I've had a lot of burritos, and I wouldn't be surprised if when my wife and I talk about our honeymoon 30 years from now, I'll remember those burritos as much as anything else.

Also, the on-site restaurant was pretty pricey. They were good, but nothing out of sight IMO. The price should be lower for what they serve. There are a handful of restaurants within a 15 minute bike ride away to choose from. There are also two (Chef Rob's and Barracuda) within a 3 minute walk of the resort that are just as, or more, pricey. I'd recommend some of the restaurants off-site honestly, just since you have the opportunity to try them. But yeah, the food there was certainly fine/good, but just a bit pricey for me. The wait staff were awesome though.

Room Tip: The Ocean View room was extraordinary. We stayed in "Verandah 1", and we couldn't hav...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Adam R
San Diego, California
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Disappointed. The staff here is really unhelpful and the accommodations are just okay. The resort is situated right on the beach and so that's a plus. There is not much to see or do in the surrounding town of Hopkins.

We stayed in the Mahogany Suite and overall it was dated and low quality. The bed was as hard as a rock and the bathroom was in desperate need of remodel with chipped tile, etc.

On our first night we learned that our dive trip for the next day was canceled, so we signed up for a river rafting excursion. The Almond Beach staff neglected to tell us that the excursions depart from another resort that is at least an hour and a half away from Almond Beach and right next to their sister property, Sleeping Giant. Since we were staying at Sleeping Giant we were disappointed that they didn't tell us that it would be better to save the excursions for when we would be there. So with the drive to the other resort and then another drive to get to the river rafting, that trip was canceled to due to flooding. Overall, we wasted an entire day of our vacation on an excursion that didn't happen.
** TIP **: If you're going to stay at Sleeping Giant do all of your excursions when you are there.

The housekeeping service is mediocre. The food is not good or fresh (think day old muffins made from a boxed mix) for breakfast. One of Belize's main crops is citrus, yet when I specifically asked our waitress if the resort served fresh grapefruit juice instead of a juice cocktail blended with sugar, etc. she lied and said yes and then did not in fact bring us fresh juice.
** TIP **: I highly recommend that you walk down the beach to another restaurant to get something you'll enjoy.

The staff could not be more unhelpful and clueless. Ask anyone at the front desk a question and they will give you a vague answer. They also tried to overcharge us by $250 for their shuttle service to and from the airport, which we did not use. It seemed like they were constantly trying to charge us for things and services we didn't use.
** TIP **: check your bill carefully and hire Discount Belize Shuttles & Tours for your transportation needs, as the prices Almond Beach charges are at least double.

I wouldn't recommend this resort to prospective travelers. The only redeeming quality it has is a nice waterfront location.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank FunintheSun_7710
Mentor, Ohio
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Starting with the reservation this was a wonderful experience. When initially booking the reservation we obviously had many questions, and I can say the woman I dealt with was extremely professional and went above and beyond what I have ever experienced in trying to obtain information regarding other resorts! We stayed at the Almond Beach Resort for 2 1/2 weeks, we were looking for somewhere quiet and peaceful to just relax. This was the perfect place!! (granted it was off season - end of October beginning of November). The staff was extremely helpful and personable. I have read several reviews stating the restaurant was expensive, but if you compare it to a regular restaurant in the midwest it is very comparable except here you have the view of the sea - how is that not worth a little extra!! There are also several local restaurants for a change of pace, Love on the Rocks, Chef Robs and Beaches and Dreams. We did not have an opportunity to eat in town, but have heard several good reviews. The Veranda room was excellent with a King bed and lovely patio with furniture and of course the beach right off of the patio!! I would definitely recommend Almond Beach for relaxing wonderful vacation. Instead of your "run of mill" snorkeling or scuba excursions, we rented a boat exclusively for a day from Hopkins Underwater Adventures - this was an extremely awesome day. All of their staff was extremely knowledgeable and entertaining. They took us to many cayes and areas to snorkeling and sight see. This was the perfect ending to a wonderful vacation.

Room Tip: Verandas are extremely roomy and have beach front access right off of your porch.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopkins
Parrot Cove Lodge
#3 of 11 in Hopkins
Hopkins Bay Resort
Hopkins Bay Resort
#5 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Almond Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!