“Quiet and Tranquil paradise”

Almond Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Hopkins
New York
“Quiet and Tranquil paradise”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

By husband and twelve year old son stayed here for a week in the Santa Maria suite which was well furnished and spacious for three people. The property is clean and beautiful and the staff is friendly. There is only one restaurant on the property and the food is really good but it is pricey. For example In six days we spent $1500 on food alone for three people (my twelve year old eats like a grown man so there is that) and I did have at least three margaritas at every meal (so there was that too) but it was so worth it. There are local places to eat that are a short distance (say ten minutes away). We never made it to any for meals although we meant to.The hotel offers free bicycle rentals but golf carts are $24 for the day? not sure on that one, though my husband did rent one to go into town because there are no ATM's on the property. The hotel also provides free kayaks and there are plenty of hammocks facing the beach to relax in or gaze up at the stars at night. The spa was also great and the ladies in the cafe are friendly. I miss the warm breeze of Belize and the sound of the caribbean sea rushing onto the sandy shore. WE WILL RETURN FOR FOR SURE.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Nicole B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Very good service. Large spacious rooms with great air-conditioning. Excellent amenities on the resort but also reasonable travel to Bridgetown etc.
Food and rooms were excellent. Some issues like faulty equipment took a little time to fix but overall excellent experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays

3 Thank Duncan C
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Almond Beach has the unfortunate problem for the purpose of this review of having been the first leg of my trip to Belize, sending me to Sleeping Giant after four days on the Almond Beach property and thus allowing me to compare the two (fair or not). Sleeping Giant blew me away, while Almond Beach seems to have been relying a bit on the beauty of the land it sits on. It's tough to have anything bad to say about such a gorgeous place, and I don't have much, but compared to it's sister property it has a long way to go in some areas.

The Room: We had an oceanview room, which opened right in front of the beach and pier. It took me less than 5 seconds to get into the ocean if I was motivated. The room itself was well equipped with a water dispenser, a fridge, and plenty of seating and such. The bathroom has a hair dryer (making my girlfriend happy) and a huge shower area. The TV in the room rarely received good service, however, and the power in the room went out several times. When I told the manager about the power, she basically shrugged and said "yeah that's a thing that happens here." When the power goes out, so does the A/C, by the way. Further, we couldn't get the shower to produce hot water for 3 of the 4 days we were at the resort, despite trying the shower handle at all manner of rotations or degrees. Finally, the shower has these big windows above it that allow you to see out onto.... the road. Yep, and there was a stairway coming down right next to the bathroom. I'm still hoping I didn't flash anyone walking by. The catch to all of this, however, is that because of the resort itself these problems are really very minimal. We spent most of our time out of our room, exploring town, the beach, the pool, the bar, etc.

The Service: This really deserves to be broken down into two categories: The Bartenders and everyone else. The Bartenders (***primarily Keith and Dylan***) were fantastic and engaging people. They were always friendly, upbeat, and willing give great tips about the area. Everyone else acted...politely. The management staff always seemed busy, but were friendly none-the-less. The problem is that after meeting Eugene at Sleeping Giant and seeing what a resort manager could be, this doesn't seem like enough. For example, we rented a golf cart and went into Hopkins for the night. After the sun went down, the lights on our cart stopped working, and we were forced to drive back to Almond Beach (which is about a mile of pitch black road with potholes and bumps and oncoming traffic) using our cell phones as headlamps. When we arrived back several hours ahead of our scheduled return, we notified the manager of the problem. She basically just said "sorry" and offered no refund or consideration for our troubles until I kindly asked for it. Once I asked she gladly gave me a refund, so the problem again was minimal, but for a resort one expects the management staff to act like they care about the guests having a good time in their limited stay. The tour adviser there isn't totally familiar with all of the tours, and he opted to give us a tablet with tour information rather than speak to us about our options. The tablet had the website pulled up, and offered us nothing extra regarding the tours at all. I would list the service as "average" if it wasn't for the bar-tending staff, who were "excellent".

The Beach / Pools: Absolutely mind-blowing-ly amazing. Just don't swim at night, unless you want to meet the baby thimble jellyfish that apparently come to shore at night. The Beach itself has several palapas, hammocks, and other places to relax. My personal favorite was this big floating wooden platform out in the ocean you can swim to. You can lay out on the platform and just listen to the waves and birds all day (very relaxing). Further, I can't tell you how often I looked up and down the beach during our stay and could count less than TEN people within my field of vision on the beach. We were VERY secluded and I doubt I'll ever get that kind of personal space on a beach like this ever again in my life. The adults only infinity pool is right behind the beach as well (which is where Dylan or Keith are normally located as well) and offers some great views to go with cold drinks and good music. The rectangular pool for kids leaves less to be desired, and seems like an after thought, which it should be considering the glory that is the beach right in front of it.

The Tours: We booked through the hotel for the tours (something we'll do differently next time as we know the good guides moving forward and won't want to pay the hotel's premium prices). The tour guides, however, were very experienced and friendly. We did the barrier reef snorkeling and the nearby ziplining and both were amazing. This doesn't really mean much for the hotel other than the fact that they use quality providers for their tours.

The Food: This is where Almond Beach falls flat. The food was below average at best, and never worth the price you pay. My advice? Seek out the food in town or nearby, and eat there. Chef Rob's is a great dinner spot, and Love on the Rocks is an even better dinner location (make reservations for both at the Almond Beach front desk to ensure a good table). Loggerhead's burgers is across the street and just an awesome little burger joint (the Guava BBQ sauce they use on the Gringo burger is something I want to have shipped home). There are other places nearby that offer food as well, and in town the local spots are fantastic. If you eat anything at Almond Beach, the Breakfast was alright.

The transfer: The two-resort package includes a transfer to Sleeping Giant. They schedule this transfer for between Noon-12:30 on one of your vacation days, which effectively precludes you from doing something in the morning OR the afternoon. Plan on having a beach day in the morning and hiking to Sleeping Giant's canopy that evening. I honestly wish they could do the transfer around 2 or 3, because you could easily do a morning excursion that day and then transfer up in time for dinner. This is really just one more minor thing that tells me that the resort is relying on the fact that they are in such an awesome location to make up for minor flaws in service or planning.

Total: Almond Beach looked like one of the nicest resorts in the area, and you can't beat the beach itself. If you're willing to overlook the minor flaws and explore for different food choices (something we wanted to do anyways), this resort is amazing. If you're hanging out with Keith or Dylan and going out on excursions, the problems at the resort are minimal and not worth caring about. Bring some of your own duty free liqour from the airport, some snacks, and just hang out on the beach and you'll love life.

Room Tip: ALL of the rooms are basically beach-front. The garden views may require a 30 second walk through t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank xscratchx
Lagrange, Georgia, Usa
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This is without a doubt the best vacation I've ever been on. The room was great. The staff was fabulous. They set up a private dinner on the beach for my wife's and my anniversary. The staff learned you by name. If you stay there make sure you meet Keith. He will take care of you. The weather was perfect. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the V rooms. At the end of the resort and private.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank David F
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My wife and I were married at the Almond Beach resort on the 7th of August 2014, which was truly memorable. We had 31 people i in our group which all of them had a wonderful holiday at the resort and have only wonderful impressions to take away.

The management staff took care of us in every possible way; they were welcoming and helpful in the planning and preparation of our stay and wedding celebration. Wren, Craig, Arlette, Kimberly, Margarita, Sharon, Sharon and all staff were professional, warm spirited and fully assisted in planning and hosting our wedding ceremony and reception. We truly had a wonderful day and the rain did not dampen our spirit or celebration. The staff catered to our need and want to continue to have our ceremony outside despite the rain and had even set out an alternative location.

The Horizons restaurant is a beautiful location, bright with a wondeful grand piano in the centre. Enid's restaurant feels like a time escape back to true Bajan style and the Reef restaurants beach side location allows you to truly enjoy the sea.

Kimberly in reservations was amazing for her continued correspondence in booking our guests. Our guests enjoyed a wonderful week, and got to know many of the amazing staff of Almond Beach.

The wonderful Bar staff that I am sure we kept busy all week, had a true wonderful Bajan charm. The staff that served us at the reception were friendly and professional.

The chefs prepared amazing meals; there truly is culinary talent at Almond Beach. We enjoyed an amazing meal at the Reef prepared by your Executive Chef David Yarde. Our guests were so pleased that we even called out the Chef to tell him how great it was.

We had the pleasure of making new friends during our holiday, much gratitude to “Fuzzy” and “Action”, the beach staff for their friendly assistance. They were such great help to Matt on the wedding day as we moved location in and then back out during the rain.

The rooms were clean, pleasant with great views. The hotel staff was was awesome!

It truly was a memorable week for us and our guests, we look forward to visiting again in the future and wish Almond Beach and Staff ongoing success.

Matt & Marie
Wedding- August 7, 2014

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank matt m
Clarence, New York, United States
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Almond Beach was absolutely amazing! my husband and I went there on our honeymoon and couldn't be happier with our choose. Hopkins was so safe and the local people were so friendly. We went to dinner at Chef Moes house and met his family. I can't say enough good things about the staff they were all awesome. Juan and Michelle were awesome bartenders, and you have to try one of her famous margaritas. Angel helped us plan our days and set my husband up with scuba driving at a nearby resort. Miss Mary and Raphael made sure everything was great. We also saw the staff when we were out at local bars and they were still as friendly and nice. The serving staff were all attentive and professional, and every meal we have was delicious (you have to try the cheese dip). Hopkins is a great place if you want something off the beaten path. the people in town were all friendly and made you feel welcomed. We would go back in a heartbeat and would have loved to stay longer 6 days we just not enough. We made good friends and memories at Almond Beach.

Room Tip: theres no bad rooms at Almond Beach
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tammi D
Carson city
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

We hitch hiked in and when we got there we were sweaty and ready, and so were they! We got greeted by name and they had complimentary rum punches for us within a few minutes. They let us relax and enjoy lunch and when we were done they had everything ready for us in our room.
The staff was friendly and the bills were forgiving. I truly believe you were treated how you treated them! We were so grateful, and in return our drinks got stronger and our bills got smaller!
The view from our front door was breath taking. I woke up to watch the sunrise from the hammocks and it was worth it.
There were minimal issues with the room, and any there were they fixed within minutes!

I suggest going into town to do the excursions. We got lower prices, they were reliable, and a little more authentic experience!

I'm glad we chose Hopkins as it was not as touristy as some areas. Tina's was our favorite place to eat!
Worth every cent, and we plan to return to this beauty!!!

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank ERrnIB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopkins
Parrot Cove Lodge
#2 of 11 in Hopkins
Jaguar Reef Lodge & Spa
Jaguar Reef Lodge & Spa
#3 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Almond Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!