“A Wonderful Experience”

Belizean Dreams Resort
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Hopkins
Reviewed 30 January 2010

We initially booked their sister resort, Hopkins Bay, for a one week stay to celebrate my 54th Birthday. Upon arrival we were given an option of staying at Hopkins Bay or Belizean Dreams. Since the two resorts share a common reception desk located at Belizean Dreams, we decided to stay there. "Boy" was that a great decision! We've stayed at fine resorts all over the world and Belizean Dreams exceeded our expections for a luxury resort in its class. The grounds were immaculate; manicured lawns filled with tropical plants indigenous to the region. Just as you gaze with amazement at the grounds, then appear the golden sands which were being gently caressed by the sparkling waters of the Atlantic. It was at that moment that we realized the resort was appropriately named "Belizean Dreams".

The two story villas are quite spacious with hardwood floors and ceilings, ceiling fans, air conditioning, traditional rattan funishings, and colorful Mayan textiles and tapestries. The oversized bathroom was beautifully tiled with twin handpainted porcelain sinks. Our spacious second floor balcony gave us a direct view of the beach, ocean, pool, and grounds. It was so picturesque.

The staff were extremely proficient and quite professional. Prior to our arrival, Felina the Reservations Manager, arranged our transfers and pick-up from the Dangriga Airport. The ride from Dangriga to the resort takes about 30 minutes. Upon arriving at the resort we were welcomed by Shawn who checked us in and showed us to our villa. In route to our villa we were greeted by Jesse from the restaurant bar who presented us with some refreshing rum drinks, which were "right on time". This was the beginning of what turned out to be a wonderful week in paradise.

We would later get to meet and interact with other staff. Ernesto, the Head Concierge was a wealth of information on Belize, Hopkins Village; the nearby village, and the cultures of the region. He was also great at recommending local restaurants, of which we visited three ( Innis, Chef Rob, and King Casava). We had delicious meals at all of them including the restaurant at the resort. Mariano, the award winning bartender, made exceptional drinks! Especially, his signature Orange Blossom...the Pina Colada was great as well. He gave us exceptional service.

On our first day there, the weather was a little cooler than we had antipated but during the remaining six days the weather was excellent and we spent most of our time at the beach.

We will definity return to Belizean Dreams because the resort highly lives up to it name. We highly recommend this resort to anyone who wants a relaxing vacation with no distractions.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MrEH

Reviewed 5 January 2010

Belizean Dreams is advertised by Luxury Link as a luxury resort, but it is not.
While the resort view is spectacular (that is what qualified this as luxury I think. They put a lot of effort into the grooming of the property. It is lush with greenery and beautifully maintained), the accommodations and hospitality were mediocre.
Keep in mind that I'm reviewing this as someone who was looking for a luxury vacation. If my expectations had been set differently, then I might not have been as disappointed.
We were picked up from the airport promptly by the staff, who is friendly and accommodating. It did take at least 40 minutes to get to the resort from the airport, so be prepared to get bumped around a bit. This is an underdeveloped, quaint town so expect the road conditions to be poor.
When we arrived, the concierge was nice, but not overly so. I have to say that the knowledge amongst the staff at the property was very uneven and they definitely have not been trained in hospitality. We travel off of luxury link a lot so when we buy these vacations we expect a certain level of service and we did not get that here.
The cleaning staff is terrible. The sheets, floors and bathrooms were not clean. They neglected to pick up dishes. They weren't very good at coming at a time when we weren't in our room. This is a really small resort, too, so it's not hard to keep track of your guests.

The food at the restaurant was pretty good, but unpredictable and fairly expensive (which is to be expected). One day I had the most delicious mango I'd ever tasted, but the next morning I had under ripe, hard fruit. The kitchen staff probably doesn't know that they should discard bad product. It just shouldn't be served.
In general, there is a real lack of management presence at the resort. You can tell that the staff isn't trained consistently and that a level of expectation has not been set by the resort owners. They've taken locals and tried to train them, but what they really need to do is hire a consultant to help them get that place in pristine condition so that the whole place feels like a cohesive experience.
It was very windy when we were there so they did take down the pool umbrellas, but they left them like that for a while after the storm was over so no one could really use or sit by the pool. The pool equipment was carelessly thrown about.
They have several things listed in their in room guide to the resort, like umbrellas if it rains. But when we asked for them, they just said they didn't have any. There is a lack of attention to detail all over the resort.
i struggled with a pool umbrella for a while though there were several staff members in the restaurant who could see me right next door, no one came over to help. I had to actually go inside the restaurant and interrupt them to ask for someone to help me. This may seem like a petty complaint, but, like I said, we went for a luxury vacation experience and it is the job of the staff to anticipate guests' needs and to do whatever they can to make them comfortable. If you've ever traveled in Asia, you know what I mean. They take the luxury resort concept very seriously there. This is not the case at Belizean Dreams.
The resort is a bit of a hike from the center of Hopkins, but we rode bikes to go to dinner and they drove us in the van several times, which was a good way to do it Food is very cheap in town and we had several good meals. The beans and rice were pretty bland everywhere so we ended up putting Marie Sharpe's hot sauce on everything.
The beach at the resort is not one that you can swim in. It's dirty and ungroomed. if you want one of those walk into the water from your stairway vacations, this is not it. You would have to go to a different part of Belize to be in clear Caribbean waters.
We took the sea kayak out once, but, again, no one helped us with it. The staff didn't know where the life vests were.
Our complaints are a bunch of small things that built up-we're just used to better service. And it really is all about the service. I wouldn't go back here or recommend it based on our experience.
But this is not a terrible place, it just doesn't belong on Luxury Link. It's got beautiful grounds and a lot of potential, but the management needs to get serious about hospitality before this place really takes off. Just be aware that it's not all it's cracked up to be. But if you want a quiet vacation in Belize, Hopkins is find. It's somewhere you go to relax and not be around too many people.
Belize is a fascinating country with a lot to offer. If we go again, we'll just go to a different area.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
10  Thank ddinerman
Reviewed 21 December 2009

What's not to love, a great resort, family friendly staff, stunning views, great food and no bugs. My wife and I took our teenage son to BD for a week over spring break. The resort is beautifully maintained and immaculately clean. Staff from maids to drivers were all friendly accommidating and helpful. The best deal is the all inclusive as the prices are steep for meals and the local alternatives are pretty rustic, also you save a lot on in-country airfare and transfers. Fishing and snorkling are a must and a day trip to the Myan ruins is spectacular and a great way to see the countryside. Overall A+.

Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank John M
Reviewed 23 November 2009

I've travelled quite a bit of the world, especially the Carribbean, been to most of the islands and mainland hot spots, but I've never seen customer service quite like this. I was at the resort with my friend who happens to have a severe fish allergy as well as some fruits and vegetables. Her fish allergy is so bad that even if the plate of fish is swooshed by her, she would react to it immediately. She brought a couple of epi pens with her, but as it turns out, she didn't need them. The special attention and care she got from the staff at the Belizean Dreams Resort was unparalled. Every meal she ordered was made special for her separate from the rest. I'm sure this was difficult for the kitchen staff because fresh fish was always being prepared as the fishing boats came in daily with their catches. But they did it. They knew she was allergic to canatope they made her a fruit tray without it etc. They really made her feel special. I wanted to dream up something just so I could get this special kind of treatment. But all kinding aside all the guests were really treated with "kid gloves" sort to speak. I would wake up and watch the sunrise at approx. 6:30 a.m. on the edge of the dock when to my surprise I would have a thermos of coffee, cream, sugar and baked goods brought to me. Now this is service! The staff got to know us and the other guests and knew exactly what we wanted. I liked orange juice, my friend pineapple. I liked my espresso double my friend cafe au lait. It was unbelievable. Our villa was spotless with lots of towels. The resort staff was very friendly and was always available to answer any questions about the resort, the eco trips or Belize. I highly recommend this resort to individuals with discriminating taste, honeymooners and difinitely If I had to plan a wedding it would be at the Belizean Dreams Resort.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BelizeanDreamer09
Reviewed 13 November 2009

We stayed at Belizean Dreams for two weeks and could not have been happier with our choice. The resort staff is friendly and receptive to making your dream vacation all that you want it to be - at your request, they will make ANY arrangements you need - adventure tours, trips in to the village, shopping, opening the restaurant as needed. They're a very professional staff who are not pushy about their intentions for your vacation - no trying to over-sell you on adventures or amenities - which I love. I want to go on vacation and feel relaxed, not like I'm trying to fight off salesmen. The rooms were spotlessly maintained - and with great design, not at all kitchy or overtly beachy. And the restaurant! Oh, the restaurant. WHEN you go, make sure you order the Mermaid's Omelette, and end every evening with a plate of their awesome nachos. Truly, this place is a gem - you won't find many places like it. When we were there, we visited the neighboring resorts for dinner and drinks and were less than impressed - 1) their facilities were outdated and worn-looking, 2) the restaurants were of signficantly lesser quality, and 3) their staffmembers were unhelpful when we asked about adventure tours. Belizean Dreams does it all - we were so happy to have selected such a great resort!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 November 2009

If you are looking for a place that will make you feel like an honored family guest, has great access to most of the land and sea excursions, has incredible accommodations for the price, AND have your every request fulfilled---then you must come here.
We've traveled all over the world. Been there done that with the Four Seasons and Ritz-Carltons. This place is real. Physically, I guess you could say it's not five stars---although I feel like a traitor saying that. Because as I'm sitting here watching the sea turn from blue-green to gray and the sun go down, I think of the friends I've made here and the beauty---and I think I maybe should revise my "star criteria."
Peter and LeeAnn are the recently hired couple to manage BD. They are amazing young people. Full of great ideas and they know how to make one feel like they are a favored guest. (Even if they're "all favored guests.") The extent management went to to help celebrate my husband's birthday will be remembered and savored.
I won't go on about the accommodations as that's been covered by others. But, you may want to spend a little extra and reserve a two-bedroom suite. Equipped with a full kitchen, it's great for making your own drinks (a savings) (although Maurino makes a mean marguarita) and great local bacon (Running W brand) and eggs for breakfast. The Shop and Save in Hopkins is the best for out-fitting your kitchen and has "Premium" Belikin Beer.
More things: On a Saturday or Sunday, rent a golf cart, go into Hopkins and give the children rides in the back. They love this activity (you may have to bring their dogs along, too) You can stop off at the Shop and Save and buy four children sodas for a buck. We did this during a non-beach/excursion day and had a blast.
Eat at the local restaurants: They are very casual and most have bathrooms located outside (but ALL are extremely clean, with linoleum, tile, working toilet and sinks) Innie's is just fabulous for deep-fried whole red snapper and Hutut (coconut milk and fish), Taste of India offers some of the best Indian food I've ever had (and I love Indian food.) Yugada has great lobster. The resort restaurant is really quite good, but under Peter and Franklin's direction it is changing. Peter is trying to secure a source for organic free range meats and chicken and local produce.

Are you by now getting that I just really love this place and its people?

Enough said. Let you explore and find your own little BD and Hopkins "secrets."

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PattyBFoodie
Reviewed 9 October 2009

This is my third third trip to Belize and my second trip to the wonderful village of Hopkins and the beautiful Belizean Dreams Resort. The resort exceeded my expectations. The villas are well crafted, beautifully appointed and very clean. There is a fully stocked kitchen as well as a truly great restaurant on site. The beach and a beautiful pool are right out your front door. The owners and staff are amazing. All are friendly and very accommodating. The pool sits adjacent to the outdoor restaurant and is kept crystal clear and the area around it stocked with lounge chairs and beach towels. The beach is raked daily and has numerous thatched umbrellas and lounge chairs just begging you to come take a nap. Golf carts are available to rent as you are a ways from the heart of the village. I would recommend this resort to anyone who wants a quiet, relaxing vacation while being pampered in grand style.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank lillyll
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hopkins
Coco Plum Island Resort
Turtle Inn
#3 of 20 in Placencia
Almond Beach Resort & Spa
Hopkins Bay, a Muy'Ono Resort

Been to Belizean Dreams Resort? Share your experiences!