“Good value, nice location”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Allegro Papagayo

Allegro Papagayo
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good value, nice location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel is ok, no frills but nice . Personnel is very friendly. Rooms are clean. Food is buffet style with plenty if choices . Location is very exotic. Stayed there with my family and we had a good time . If you looking for 5 stars this is not the place , but if you are looking for simple budget type vacay this us the place .

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Yayeboye

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Polish first
Moravia, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

First of all, after reading earlier reviews I have to say that the hotel has improved a lot in terms of food and structure.
The pool is really nice (it has jacuzzis), the rooms are quiet and comfortable, great view to the gulf, the place is really beautiful. You get to see racoons, "pizotes" and "garrobos" all over the place, like if they were at home.
The food of "Los Corales" is ok, great variety but isn't amazing. Deserts need to be improved.
Coctels at "Pablo's Bar" are shameful. Shows at night are a bit boring, they could have more "feeling".
People is very kind, great service, except for the tour booking place: One day we faced this young man who was not kind nor helpful at all. The other days the staff behaved properly.
Couple things you should now:
1) Book La Trattoria and La Cantina restaurants early in the morning, they're included
2) There is a trip included to Nacazcolo beach. Although the beach itself is nice, there is not much to do there. The food is just a sandwich, a fruit and beverages.
3) Security boxes are not included: $2 per night.

Room Tip: Almost every rooms has a view to the gulf, but the ones on top are the best.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Danx30
North Hollywood
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

We arrived here after landing in San Jose airport, the drive was long but well worth it. The quality of the food was not that great but the Staff was AMAZING as well as the views... when I go back to Costa Rica I will consider coming back to this Hotel if I am on my way North.

Loved to walk around with the animals walking very close to you :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Melissa84V
Chassahowitzka
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We arrived here for the second half of a travel package and had nothing but positive experiences. I was grumpy at arrival because we couldn't check in early, but they did allow us to eat and use all the amenities while our luggage was watched in the office. Our room was in building 10 which overlooked the pool and had amazing view. It is very convenient but was subject to the loud music and activities from the pool (on plus side, it was fun to watch pool volley ball from the balcony!). I read poor reviews before we came but had a great meal in the restaurant (thanks Carlos for helping with reservations and waiter Michal was very attentive in the buffet and Cantina-- gave excellent service). The buffet food was better than adequate; the Hawaiian pork with pineapple the fruits and juices were excellent. Skip the bread products, but do enjoy the banana bread-it was very good. The black sand beach was gorgeous, it was not dirty and there were amazing shells on low tides. We walked over a mile down the beach and only passed three people! What more could a beach lover ask!? The room was very clean, the refrigerator was not ice cold, but we enjoyed having one in the room. The beds were too firm for my back, so I used beach towels for cushion. Our sliding glass door needed some attention as it was loud and hard to open and close, and we brought our own shampoo & toiletries, but that was minor compared to the excellent staff. The shuttle drivers, the servers at the buffet (Heiner, Alba and others) and the housekeeper Ingrid, who made a swan from towels, gave excellent service, always with a smile. When we brought fish fillets from our charter fishing, the chef in the buffet (Washington) and restaurant made excellent dishes for us- including cerviche. We also enjoyed the trip to the "white sand beach" which in all fairness is not made of sand but shells. There we viewed a family of coatimundis, the hermit crabs and exotic birds up close. The security person that day was very helpful, kind, and told me the name of the urraca birds. We used the free snorkels and Jefferson advised us to look for fish near the rocks. I honestly did not think I would enjoy an all inclusive, and this was my first experience. It reminded me of a cruise ship on land, with excursions much more accessible. I am not a cruise ship person but the staff and beautiful setting were very relaxing. They had programs for children, a roster of events like ping pong and volley ball, even a beer drinking and soccer event that was fun to watch. The staff works very hard to make guests feel welcome and they won me over! We met wonderful travelers too, and enjoyed our stay very much. We were never approached about time share, etc, which is a big turn off for me. This resort was the only one that charged $2.00 per day to use the in-room safe, (all the other places we stayed included it for free) but I felt very safe leaving my things in the room. They had so many positives and the few small negatives were minor. Loved the stay!

Room Tip: Buildings 10 & 11 are very convenient to pool and buffet, but may be a bit noisier. There is a...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Laura N
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

Please beware. I attended the time share brief that they are so eager to get you to. They showed me and my family this beautiful room and when asked what their cancellation process was, they said we could cancel at any time. Fast forward a year later, after we have been paying $389 month plus the $4,000 down payment, we take our vacation ready to stay in the room we were shown, we get a room one level above the standard room to which we were told that our contract did not include that room. Now that we are trying to cancel the answer is that we can't because we still owe $11,000 and the company has a strict policy on canceling loans. We got suckered into this, I hope you won't become their next victim.

• Stayed October 2012
OccidentalVC, Community Manager for Occidental Vacation Club at Allegro Papagayo, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Hello Alb0305,

I'm sorry to read you were not satisfied with your accommodations in Allegro Papagayo. We provide our members the best rooms, with some of the best views to enjoy. We would contact you trough TripAdvisor's Direct Message, to know more about your situation.

We apologize for the inconveniences and hope you give us the chance t host you again, so that you can enjoy the many perks of being a member.

Best regards,

Ignaura Tejeda
Community Manager for Occidental Vacation Club
Morristown, New Jersey, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

The hotel was dirty and infested with ants. There was absolutely nothing to do. The beach was filthy. The food was terrible! I wouldn't recommend this vacation destination to my worst enemy! The servers were rude. I was ready to go home in 2 days!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Zonia R
SocialMedia_Ctor, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Papagayo, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
Dear Zonia R,

Thank you for send us your review, as it is our wish to excel in every aspect of our operation and this can only be accomplished by correcting the deficiencies which are brought to our attention through your positive and constructive comments.

We are always concerned about our guests’ wellbeing and rest assure we will take necessary measures to improve our results.

Sincerely

Travellers are raving about these Gulf of Papagayo hotels

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

The stay started with a few challenges the first room was in the corner of the third floor of building #3. I would not recommend this room to my worst enemy. One half of the closet was taken up by a hot water heater. Upon returning from a day on excursion away from the hotel my wife and I returned to a very hot room and an air conditioner that was not working. After an hour and half of back an forth with the front desk, we were offered a different room. The change of room made a world of a difference. Full closet and overall much more room.
As

As for the food it was not the large selection you might see at other resorts it was really good. We especially loved the fruits and vegetables. One has never had a pineapple that has tasted so sweet! The chicken and fish dishes were seasoned well and had a great taste.

Staff is truly what make this resort worth visiting. Overall the entire staff was friendly and accommodating. But the face of this resort is our new and dear friend Carlos. He made it a point to always greet us with and smile and always seemed to know what our needs were breakfast, lunch, or dinner. He was also a wealth of knowledge regarding beautiful Costa Rica.

For the price this hotel delivers a great value. When staying here visiting the spider monkeys in the afternoon is a must.

Room Tip: Buildings 3, 4, & 5 are close to the pool. Other building are a long hike of a van ride to get t...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple