“Beautiful country and very nice people.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Allegro Papagayo

Allegro Papagayo
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Toronto
“Beautiful country and very nice people.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

My fiance and I stayed at Allegro Papagayo for 7 nights. Our overall experience was wonderful. The staff are very friendly and eager to please you. The drive from the airport to the resort is only half n hour. When we arrived, we were greeted with drinks and the check in process was quick-our rooms were not ready so we just enjoyed the view from the lobby. Eric, one of the shuttle drivers carried our bags to our room on the third floor and even replaced one of the room keys for us because it wasn't working - on our last day he also reminded us to call the lobby so he would come to pick up our luggage and drive us to the lobby, which we thought was really nice of him. The rooms were nice-not too fancy-came with a bar fridge stocked with water and ice tea, coffee maker, tv, no iron, but it had an amazing view. There are not too many things to do on the resort, but if you want to play volleyball or anything you just have to ask the entertainment staff and they will set it up for you (I'm pretty sure this is because we went during the low season). We walked out of the resort, but it got pretty tiring after climbing 2-3 hills, so we decided to rent a car and just explore the city ourselves - it takes about 30 mins to drive out of the resort area - We drove to various beaches and to Libera to shop and eat. The locals were very nice - we had some offers for tours and excursions as well, but we had already set those up with the resort. We did the blue river excursion- which was a safari, a hike/zip lining and a spa with a sauna, volcanic mud bath and hot springs. It was a lot of fun and relaxing too. Our tour guide Hugo and Jose were great - they did their best to show us the country and the wild life- monkeys, parrots, tucans and other animals. We really liked the friendly staff and it was nice that they remembered you and always say hi to you. The food at the resort was good, there was a good selection, but it is repetitive-pasta bar, grill station, good veges, and usually a fish, chicken and beef or pork dish- the fruits and desserts were great. We ate at the Italian and Mexican restaurant twice - the food was better than than the buffet at both places. The beach was pretty unique - it had black sand which made it easier to find shells and crabs - the resort also offers a boat ride to a white sand beach, which is also nice -the fish swim around you while you're in the water, and you can spot some nice birds around. Overall we had a wonderful time in Costa Rica and would definitely return!

5 Thank Cryss21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Polish first
Westwood, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

I stayed at this place for 7 days. It's the worst place i have ever stayed at. We got there on oct 14th, scenery was beautiful, resort was nice and then we get to our room. They don't know what a face cloth is. Views from the room were fantastic. The food was terrible, it was bland and not much of a choice. Snacks consisted of stale nachos, hot dogs, dried burgers and pizza. Absolute crap. The bar was the worst i,ve ever seen, and drinks were weak, had to get a triple shots for any flavor and I don't drink. Back to the food, my wife had breakfast one morning and nothing but a banana each morning for the next 6 days. She eat the soup for dinner six nights out of 7 .. Finding mustard at this place took 2 days. There is nothing to dofriendly, Overall, this place was a huge disappointment and i will never return to any Occidental related resorts, or to Costa Rica. I found Costa Rica to be over hyped and under delivered much like the Occidental Allegro. Also when returning to the airport we were hit with a surprise of $29.00 per person fee to leave Costa Rica. Well that was another story, spent 90 minutes fighting with Airline personnel and Costa Rica Officials. They was not going to let me leave CR because I didn't have the $58.00 plus they $10.00 fee they charge your credit card. I will never recommend anyone I know to travel to Costa Rica. No one seems to care how Americans are treated.

4 Thank Eliz1204
Itze P, Reputation Management at Allegro Papagayo, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Eliz1204,

Thank you for sharing feedback based on your stay with us. Your experience was beneath the standards that we set for ourselves. We are always thankful for constructive feedback as it helps us to improve upon our high standards for quality.

Please accept our apologies for failing your dinning expectations; our executive chef and his team work diligently to offer a wide variety of food at the restaurants. We always use fresh products of the highest quality including a large variety of fresh fruits and gourmet salads. Thus we understand the importance of an incredible dining experience; we’ve addressed your review with our executive chef as to enhance our quality standards.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide you with a true Occidental experience.

Sincerely

Travellers are raving about these Gulf of Papagayo hotels

Garden Grove, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

I had a great time at the resort. I traveled with my wife and 2 young daughters 10 and 6. The room was clean and well stocked. the TV worked, the beds were comfortable. My daughters had the best time in the pool, and the activities the hotel does, like kids club and special entertainment at night. We adults could not complaint, the service was always top notch at the pool's bar and at the restaurants. Food selection was varied, and tasty. I wish we had done the "theme restaurants" for dinner, but the general buffet was great. Basically we were up at 8 had breakfast and spent all day outdoors, until 6 pm came back to get dressed for dinner and stayed until 11 PM. Night entertainment was great, a different show every night, with extra activities afterwards at the poolside bar. There were 2 pool tables and little soccer table for the kids, plus music. In all a great experience and I highly recommend it to families with kids.
If you want all luxury, go to the Grand Papagayo, across the gulf, the room are all luxurious but the pool is hardly a water hole and the beach requires a trip on a cart to get there. Perfect for Indoors people or retirees.

Room Tip: Get the building in front of the pool, the best rooms closer to all activities.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Cartago, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

The hotel is very nice. The rooms are very clean and the view to the bay is amazing. The food and the snacks were really good. A wonderful hotel to visit with family. There are many activities to enjoy for afults and kids. A place to visit again.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank leosolmar
Cambridge, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed at the Allegro Papagayo from September 6th -13th. Flew into Liberia from Toronto aboard Westjet, which took a little over 5 hours. You don't get anything for free flying Westjet as everything costs extra. Arrived at the airport (officially named Daniel Oduber Quiros International Airport) and cleared customs quickly. Grabbed my luggage and headed outside but not before having to run a gauntlet (similar to the “shark tank” at Puerto Vallarta airport in Mexico). By “gauntlet” I mean as soon as you clear customs and get your luggage there are dozens of local people pushing time shares, excursions, cab rides, et cetera on you as you try to make your way to the exit. The exit from the airport can also be confusing as the first main exit doors that you come to lead to the taxi stand (where you will be swarmed by drivers). This exit is not where the resort shuttles are and it took a few minutes to realize this. The resort shuttles are located through an exit further down a hallway. If you keep to your right after surviving the “gauntlet” and don't go out the first set of doors you should be alright. Once you are seated on the air-conditioned bus it is a quick 35 minute ride to the resort. The last part of this ride has spectacular views of the lush countryside and the Gulf of Papagayo. Arriving at the resort we were greeted with cold drinks and given wristbands. The rooms were not quite ready so we took the resort shuttle to the pool/beach/bar/restaurant area which is at the bottom of the hills for a quick look around and a few cold beverages and a bite to eat from the buffet. The resort shuttles are vans that run in a circle around the property every 5 minutes or so. There are stops in front of each building where there is shade and benches as well as water dispensers and several also have ice machines. You never have to wait more than a few minutes for a shuttle. Be warned though that if you are in one of the buildings further up the hill from the beach/pool/buffet/entertainment area, the shuttles stop running at 11pm so you might have one long steep walk back to you room after the nightly show --- a very arduous task if you have been imbibing to any degree. One of the trips highlights was watching tipsy people, from the rooms balcony, trying to navigate their way back to their rooms each night. The rooms are in building that are 3 floors high and mine was on a third floor which can be tiring after a steep walk up the hill. As stated by many reviewers before this --- this resort is NOT for older people with mobility concerns. The rooms are clean and spacious and all rooms have great views facing the gulf. There were always plenty of clean towels and hot water was never an issue. TV and air-conditioning worked great and the mini-fridge kept things cool. The room safe is $2 per night and was a little difficult to figure out setting the password as the instructions were only in Spanish. I called the front desk and staff were quick to come to the room and help me out with it. Staff were always courteous and efficient and were not trolling for tips as in some resorts. You got the same good service if you tipped or not. (so tip!) I found that the buffet food was good and there was a fairly decent choice. The grill at the far end of the buffet is great for burgers/hotdogs/fries/pizza and stuff at lunch, if you just want to grab a quick snack to take back to the beach or pool with you. Since the resort was not at capacity during my stay, the al la cartes were where several dinners were served instead of the buffet. This was a nice touch as the food was very good and the table settings and ambiance were great. The main reception at the top of the hill had a souvenir shop that was overpriced. There was also a lobby bar there and the views from this area were amazing. The beach is small and the sand is black, which is different, but obviously does not compare to Cuba/Mexico/DR. There are nicer beaches accessible by boat. There are dozens of great excursions one can book but since I was only there for a week I stayed local to the resort --- (most of the good excursions are 12-15 hours in length). I did go for a two hour cruise out in the bay to whale watch but unfortunately the day we went out no whales were spotted although several dolphins followed the boat and we saw a sea turtle. The couple in the next room to me had been out the previous day and got many great pictures of the whales. I also took the 45 minute boat ride across the gulf of papagayo one day to Coco beach and the village for some shopping and a great lunch at one of the many restaurants there. If you want to see the monkeys on the resort, go to the beach at around 9pm with a few snacks. They will come down out of the trees and take food out of your hand. Several had their babies on their backs and seeing these monkeys in their natural surroundings was quite a thrill! There are also a couple of Coati (raccoon type animals) that make their rounds daily and they can also be fed by hand. This resort is clean, the huge pool is well kept (swim up bar) and the views and scenery are excellent. The tower by the pool gives you great views and photo-ops also. Massages and spa are available. I cannot speak to the nightly shows as I was always too tired after a full day of sun,exercise (hills/stairs) and drink to attend one but other guests seemed to enjoy them. Although I there in the rainy season (green season), we got little rain and enjoyed some spectacular lightening shows a few evenings. I enjoyed my week at this resort and would not discourage anyone from going here. The price was right and I got more than I paid for. I will definitely return to Costa Rica at a future date just to do all the Eco-excursions. There are over 100 volcanoes in CR and it is the most Eco-diverse country in the world and also has the largest percentage of protected areas in the world.
Thanks to Allegro Papagayo and Costa Rica for a great vacation. See you again soon.
You can PM me with any questions and please give me a helpful vote if you found this review helpful.
Travelb4idieguy. Kelly.

Room Tip: All rooms have great views.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
33 Thank travelb4idieguy
TORONTO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel from October 11 - 18, 2013. If you are expecting more than a 3 star hotel, you will likely be disappointed. It wasn't all bad but I would not return to this hotel. Costa Rica is a beautiful country and the people are great so I would go back and stay somewhere else. The hotel was not near anything that you may want to do so be prepared to travel quite a distance for tours or shopping.

Good: View from the room was awesome. The pool area was nice and very well kept. The hotel was clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We went on the Mega Combo tour with Swiss Tours for $115 and it was excellent. We did zip lining, a 400 foot water slide, horseback riding and mud bath with hot springs. There is a lot of climbing involved so if you are not fit, it nay be difficult for you.

Needs Improvement: The rooms could be updated. The bed was very hard and there were never enough towels. The food selection was very limited with little variety. I am not a picky eater or a gourmet but I found the food to be extremely bland. When we arrived, there were a lot of local people at the hotel for the weekend. The food was more plentiful and the activities staff always had something going on. After the local people left, the food selections were minimal and there were hardly any activities. If you are a drinker, be aware that the booze is watered down. The brand name on most of the bottles is Disco......never heard of it. The beach area is very small which didn't bother me but may be a problem for others. Finally, save some cash for the airport, there is a $29 departure tax which we only heard about when we were travelling to the airport. If you want to get something to eat at the airport, it will cost a lot. I had a sub at Quiznos which cost $11.50 plus $3.50 for a soft drink. Quiznos was the less expensive option.
Things to bring: Rain poncho/umbrella if you go during rainy season. Insect repellent as the rain brings out the bugs. We also put ant traps in our room and did not have any problems. My friend forgot her toothbrush and had to buy one for $6 so make sure you don't forget any of the basic things that you will need especially sunscreen.

Room Tip: The resort is on a steep property so if you are not able to climb stairs, you should ask for a room...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kat729
Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

I stayed at this place for 7 agonizing days. It's the worst place i have ever stayed at. We got there on oct 11th, scenery was beautiful, resort was nice and then we get to our room. First of all, it wasn't made up from the previous guest, and once it was 'made up' it was still filthy. They don't clean the floors. Views from the room were fantastic. The food was terrible, it was bland and a lot of cheap carbohydrates. Snacks consisted of stale nachos, hot dogs, dried burgers and pizza. Absolute crap. The bar was the worst i've ever seen, and drinks all tasted the same. For a family resort they sure played a lot of vulgar music sprinkled with profanity. Back to the food, i was expecting some spice and seasoned food but got the opposite. It was bland, tasteless and was touted as 'organic'. Finding hot sauce at this place was a task too, i think they only had one bottle amongst all the guests. There is nothing to do at this place, the offsite activities are very expensive, and they expect tips. The staff were friendly, although not very honest when explaining rental car policies, or the nature of your purchased activities. We went to a couple of restaurants offsite and the food was delicious. Beware of the time share scam at the sister resort Grand Papagayo, they will take you over there to see a 5 star resort, give you lunch, and pressure you to buy into a 20 year vacation scam. The 'closer' for this deal is Andrew or that's what he was going by during our visit, lousy salesman but quite the snake. Overall, this place was a huge disappointment and i will never return to any Occidental related resorts, or to Costa Rica. I found Costa Rica to be over hyped and under delivered much like the Occidental Allegro.

2 Thank momar p
Itze P, Reputation Management at Allegro Papagayo, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Momar P,

First of all thank you for choosing our Occidental Grand Cozumel as your holiday place and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. On behalf of our entire staff we would like to apologize for your disappointing experience at Occidental Allegro Papagayo. We regret to read that we did not provide you with an amazing vacation. The guests satisfaction is our main priority, we take your feedback very seriously.

The lack of service that you experienced. What you described does not reflect the high standards of service we set for the hotel. Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectations and it’s disappointing to read that we failed this time. We shared your comments with our management.

We thank you again for your interest and comments, as it is our wish to excel in every aspect of our operation and this can only be accomplished by correcting the deficiencies which are brought to our attention through your positive and constructive comments.

It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Sincerely