“Very nice place”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Sherbrooke, Canada
“Very nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Room are very clean and food is excellent. Very large pool, I could swim and played volley ball. For sure, the beach is not very interesting and the hotel is far of the expéditions. Minimum of one hour in the bus to go.

Room Tip: Nice place and excellent food. Far from expedition, minimum of one hour to go. Don't go for the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Alain G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Polish first
San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Positive: Outside of the room the hotel looks nice, the bay views are excellent.
Positive: Also personnel/staff is excellent (Exceed expectations). Go Ticos!! Pura vida!!

Improvement needed: Room infrastructure need maintenance, furniture and room look so old.
Improvement needed: No flat TV but the old type TV?? ... C'mon Occidental we know you can do better.
Improvement needed: Room infrastructure, increase variety of meals, improve the snack service as I recommended in the survey and pay attention to the room infrastructure.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank apakaba2
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

This was my boyfriends and my first trip to Costa Rica, and it was simply amazing! We looked at many reviews on the Allegro Papagayo and had mixed feelings about it but booked it anyway and glad we did. We are the type of people that are not high class, so we know what to expect when going to a third world country.

The Hotel itself is beautiful. It is VERY hilly so please keep in mind that you will be doing a lot of walking. However, there is a shuttle that runs every 10 minutes that will drive you all around the resort. We made friends with one driver, Osmond. He was absolutely awesome! If you come into runs with him, you'll become instant friends. The staff is exceptionally friendly and will go out of their way to make sure your stay is comfortable! They all speak pretty good English, but please be patient with them if they don't quite understand you. Our room was always clean. The bedding was always changed as well as our towels. The only thing, our air conditioner stopped working 2 days before we left, however, it was fixed the night we complained.

The food was spectacular! Where Costa Rica is Americanized, the pop was the very same as home. Breakfast was delicious, the pancakes and french toast was really good, bacon not so much. The fruit was unreal! So fresh and delicious!! You can drink the water right on the resort, the water is very pure. The snack bar had a lot of American food (fries, onion rings, chicken fingers) all really tasty and got us by until supper time. A lot of rice is on the menu. The chicken and beef was so good! We never had any issues eating any of the food.

The pool is really nice, not really deep but is a lifesaver to cool off in. There is a swim up bar but we never really used it. In the bar area, there is 2 pool tables and a foosball table. The pina colada's are amazing!!

The beach is not much to get excited about. The grounds on the beach I found to be a little dirty (its the designated smoking area). The black sand however was absolutely beautiful, if you walk up the beach a little, the sand becomes really clean and nice to walk on, however, it is very hot; and would sparkle in the sun. The water is a little murky, so we couldn't do much snorkeling (we took our own gear). Keep a look out for the puffer fish! There are guys on the beach who will try and sell excursions. We were advised not to buy from there as they are pirates. You can take kayaks out on the water as well as do archery. There is a boat that takes you to another beach with white sand, leaves at 9 in the morning and comes back at 1 or 2; it's also included on the resort.

We did 3 excursions, and also went to Coco Beach with another couple to split the cost. It was $80 American to travel to Coco Beach. But there are a lot of great shops there and really awesome restaurants! Bargain with vendors, they will drop the price for you as some stuff is ridiculously pricey! If you plan on doing any excursions, I recommend the Nicaragua one. Not only does your passport get stamped 4 times, you go into another country and also see an active volcano. Definitely worth the money! You do leave early in the morning and return late at night.
We did a rain forest/skywalk which we wish we never went on. We didn't see any wildlife except for a sloth in a tree which I assume lives there, because it was difficult to spot, but our tour guide had no issues spotting it; and a morpho butterfly which flew away before getting a picture of it. However, the waterfall was breathtaking!!
We also did a beach tour and shopping excursion which we also wish we never went on. Keep in mind, this excursion isn't a free for all shopping tour!! Our tour guide only took us to certain places where she could get discounts or free stuff if the tourists bought from the store. If we had have known, we would never have went. However, one of the beaches we went to had pretty cool waves, and you could body surf in them. The beach was made of seashells and was soft to walk on. We did go for lunch and it was fairly cheap, right beside Witch's Rock.

You can rent a car but it is quite pricey, the rental company usually wants a down payment or damage deposit of $1,000 American. We were advised not to drive in Costa Rica as drivers are a little dangerous.

There is wildlife on the resort but come out at weird times. You can usually catch the monkeys early in the morning sometimes in the afternoon but beware that they are a little aggressive in the afternoon. Keep clear of the older one! But you can feed them, take some banana's and pineapple, they love them! Hold your camera out to them and you can get some pretty neat pictures of them trying to touch the lens of your camera. Raccoon's came out in the evening, usually around 7. They love bread! There is also a cat that is quite vocal but harmless. Please take it some milk as it's usually starving!

Overall, we are glad we went. My boyfriend and I both said we would go back and would definitely go back to this resort. Maybe go in a different month where it was extremely hot (40-50 degrees celsius). Drink plenty of water, I don't suggest you buy it at the gift shop or else you'll be paying a lot of money! There's water cooler stations around the resort to fill up your bottles.

I advice you NOT TO BUY from the airport. Eat before you leave Canada and also before you leave Costa Rica. We wanted to get 2 pieces of pizza and 2 drinks and it would have costed us $40 American. A small bag of chips was $5 and a big bag was $10. We waited to eat once we got home.

Please keep an open mind that you are in a third world country, so expect the little nic nacs that aren't quite the norm to you. Kick back and relax in the beautiful country of Costa Rica and take in what it has to offer!

Room Tip: Where the resort is on a hill, the buildings are divided up by hills. Rooms in the second level hil...
14 Thank Amy S
San Jose, Costa Rica
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

The facilities are old bad maintain, and that is not what they charge.
The Tv of the room is ready for the museum, and the AC not far behind, cleanliness of room was poor, towels sheets and pillows need to be change a couple of years ago.
The food and drinks are just average.
In the area they are other options much better for the price they charge

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Gulf of Papagayo hotels

Bancroft, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel during Easter week. We had a good time. Hotel is very dated but it was clean. My room was clean daily with fresh towels. I found staff are very helpful and friendly. It was the busiest weekend there. Hotel was full of local visitors. I have no problem finding chairs on the beach. Black sand beach was very hot and water was warm. That is why we pay money to enjoy it. Food at restaurants were good and tasty. We had the Italian restaurant twice and both time were very good. Mexican restaurant was good too. My best experience was at the buffet. It was Good Friday night. It was very busy. I asked my waiter for a cappuccino and he told me that the machine was out of order and offer me a coffee. I told him I will pass. He then went to Italian restaurant and got me one. I was totally touched. They are under go a renovation and I will love to vist again when it is done!

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Initially I made a reservation for 2 days but we had to leave after the first night. Rooms were not clean at all, we couldn't adjust the AC so it was impossible to sleep, called twice to lobby and nobody helped us, no towels for the pool, no chairs available, and worst customer service! I'm still waiting to get my money back. Please don't go there. Hotel facilities are completely out of date, had to park outside the hotel. It was a nightmare!!!

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Hernan A
Lakewood, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed here from April 25-30, 2014. It was not crowded at all at this time....very pleasant. This is the end of the dry season, beginning of the rainy season. We enjoyed our stay very much. The temps were in the 90's with a nice breeze off the bay. Our room was adequate...nothing fancy. It was nice and clean. We don't need anything more than a place to sleep! The pool is beautiful and clean. The food was great. I don't eat meat and found plenty of things to eat. Rice and beans at every meal, lots of fruit, salads, and vegetables.
I thought the beach was beautiful. It is not real big, has lots of trees and dappled light, and beautiful black sand. If you are really into the spring-break noisy busy beach scene this is not for you. We saw howler monkeys in the trees a short distance from the beach but the capuchin monkeys did not come while we were there.( I was very disappointed as I read so many reviews about them.) We went on three excursions and probably missed them while we were away.
We booked two of the tours in the lobby and one I booked on-line before we got there. We went on a rainforest hanging bridges/waterfall tour that we booked with Nerya (CRT) in the lobby. Our guide, Julio, picked us up at 7AM and took us on the rainforest hike between the Tenorio Volcano and another volcano. It was green and lush. We didn't see a lot of wildlife but Julio was an awesome guide. He actuallly spotted a sloth while we were on the drive there so we jumped off the bus, ran across the road, and took pictures! He's very knowledgable and speaks excellent English. We had a very good lunch at a restaurant on the mountainside and then went to the Cortez Waterfall. This was a beautiful area. It was a Sunday and it was very crowded with locals swimming and picnicking. I enjoyed watching the Costa Rican families. We returned to the resort around 5PM. Great day.
The next day we took a river boat cruise on the Tempisque River in the Palo Verde National Park. I booked this on-line through Pura Vida, Eh? which is a company that gets you discounted tours. The company was EcoTrans. This trip was offered in the lobby too. I don't know if it was the exact same tour.We were picked up around 8AM and made a couple more pick ups. We saw lots of crocodiles (and babies), monkeys playing in the trees, and a variety of birds. It was very enjoyable. The boat was wide and comfortable with a canopy overhead.
We went to the coolest restaurant for lunch. It was like a ranch with a beautiful muti-level building with many open-air rooms, muliple bars, large wooden slab tables, and balconies overlooking the grounds with beautiful plantings, cacti, and a fountain. We had a great typical Costa Rican meal. After, we had a nice demonstration of squeezing sugar cane. A large bull powered the divice that squeezes the sugar cane. We were given samples of raw sugar cane, the sap, and sugar candies (like maple sugar but with the taste of molasses.) We returned to the resort around 3PM. Great day.
The last excursion was the sunset cruise/snorkeling offered in the lobby. We were driven to Coco Beach in the afternoon where we got on a huge catamaran. We were immediately handed pina coladas. There were only abou 30 of us on this double-decker boat which could have easily held 80. The guys working were great. They offered us any drinks we wanted. They took us to an area where we snorkeled. It was ok. Nothing like the snorkeling I've done in Curacao and Virgin Gorda. Snacks were to be served but when we got back on the boat, the guys had a huge spread ready for us! It was delicious....shushi, chicken shish-kabobs, fish soup, three dif. salads, bread, fruit platter, and a sweet cornbread cake! We were not expecting that! We returned to the resort around 8PM and were too full to go to dinner. We had an awesome time.
Though the rainy season was starting, it only rained while we were on shuttles in the afternoon....returning to the resort and possibly during the night. We had a wonderful time at this resort and the tours.
The resort definitely has some wear and tear but it certainly doesn't spoil your visit. I've stayed at a luxury resort in Mexico and I had just as much fun here. I really don't know why others wrote such bad reviews. The resort is off the beaten path so it does require excursions to see the sights. However we enjoyed seeing the countryside, homes, and towns along the way. If you want to see more of Costa Rica, you might want to consider staying here near the coast for a few days and then move inland closer to Arenal and Monte Verde. We didn't want to make the long day trips to see these places. Had we had more time, we would have taken the Rincon de la Vieja tour to see the volcano/hot mineral springs/ziplining but I chose nature and hanging bridges over touristy ziplining which I felt was intrusive on nature.
Someone said they didn't feel safe and didn't see security. I felt perfectly safe here. In fact, we left the slider open part way at night because I don't like cold air cond. We saw security around all the time. There was always someone at the beach and we saw them around the grounds after dark all the time. Someone stepped on a stingray getting off a jet ski and a security guard went running to their aid immediately.
Yes, it's on a steep hill. I'm in my mid 50's and I didn't have a problem. There are ice machines and water coolers in several locations.
My children gave my boyfriend and me this trip as a gift. We were happy with their choice.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor of building 5. We had a beautiful view. It was quiet. Building 5 is mi...
4 Thank MaryBiz