“Terrible place! Terrible Company!! Terrible Management!! Terrible food! Terrible everything!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Allegro Papagayo

and 1 more site!
Allegro Papagayo
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
BERMUDA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Please avoid this place at all costs. Our hotel was dirty, had no phone, tv didn't work, and AC didn't work. The food at the Italian restaurant was not edible ...it was like a microwave pasta fish that was left on the counter for days. Bars were always full and there was not enough bartender to get a drink....wait time was 10 minutes +. Needless to say, this was honestly the worst experience I ever had and I would recommend to stay as far away as possible.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Jeff L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Me and my sister we spend a week here. The staff were very friendly but one staff member carlos would always take our plates before we could even finish which i thought that was weird. The food reminded me of school lunches. the main dinning had no fan or ac and sitting in 100 + eating was hard. The had bees flying everywhere while you where eating. I wish they had better food and the snack bar was only opened twice for the hole week. The pool area was ok. Was upsetting that NOBODY told us that there where sting rays in the water or that an alligator was on the loose down at the beach. I spent a couple of hours in the water intill i saw a sting ray coming after me. not fun . The rooms where out dated and it felt like i was back in 1990. We found spiders and red ants in our bathroom. If you like eating crappy food and getting drunk off low grade beer this is the place for you. for the price i payed it wasent worth it at all. .also one of the manager told me when I got there that he would leave me a gift ? never got anything besides red ant bites . worst place i have ever been to BUT the country is beautiful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Natalia h

Travellers are raving about these Gulf of Papagayo hotels

Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

To be fair, the staff, particullary the pool/activities staff were awesome. The hotel itself was pleasant...the rooms are in need of some TLC. My backdoor was jammed causing the cool air to escape, my AC and hot water gave me issues, and the front desk staff were slow to help. I sometimes had to call multiple times. The real issue for me, however, was safety. I had my cell phone and all my cash stolen from my ground floor room. I believe someone jumped the bushes and got in through the sliding glass door on the patio, since the back door was open when I returned to the room at night. The safe in my closet was opened and my belongings scattered on the floor. The front desk told me it was "impossible" for staff to get in my safe without a passcode and blamed me for not locking my door. They told me they were not responsbile for items taken from the room and even went so far as to accuse me lying and insinuate that I was probably intoxicated and got the events wrong. I had never been so offended in all my life. I vowed to let people know so here I am. If you do decide to go here, you'll probably have a nice time, but I would advise you to not get a floor on the ground level and to be wary of keeping possessions in your room....even the safe!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Angel A
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

We spent two weeks at this resort and we loved it! The Fun Club animators we're fantastic, the night shows we're very organized and well executed and the staff was phenomenal. Although the beach was a letdown (too many stingrays to swim and a lot of branches with spikes on the sand), the pool was clean, spacious and had a water-bar. The room we we're given had two double beds, the ceiling was about 15 feet high (which allowed the air to move a lot more) and the air conditioning was new. It isn't a huge resort and it was very quiet while we we're there; except on weekends. The food was delicious and I always found something new to try. There are also many activities for kids, such as archery, crafts and shows. The resort is set on the side of a mountain, which might be a problem for people who have trouble walking uphill but they also have a shuttle system that comes every 10 minutes to bring you anywhere on the resort. There are white-faced monkeys that come on the beach here and there, and there are coatis as well. Obviously, lizards everywhere (although I didn't find anything in my room). Everything in my room was new: furniture, A/C, TV etc. They also have great trip leaving from the resort (although the snorkeling was a letdown); there are many active volcanoes you can visit, there's a day-trip to Nicaragua, ziplining, horseback riding etc. All in all, I'd go back in a heartbeat!
Improvement needed: a snackbar opened all day

Room Tip: We we're on a higher floor (third) and hardly had any bugs in our room, no scorpions, no lizards...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Sam22723
Sherbrooke, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Room are very clean and food is excellent. Very large pool, I could swim and played volley ball. For sure, the beach is not very interesting and the hotel is far of the expéditions. Minimum of one hour in the bus to go.

Room Tip: Nice place and excellent food. Far from expedition, minimum of one hour to go. Don't go for the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Alain G
San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Positive: Outside of the room the hotel looks nice, the bay views are excellent.
Positive: Also personnel/staff is excellent (Exceed expectations). Go Ticos!! Pura vida!!

Improvement needed: Room infrastructure need maintenance, furniture and room look so old.
Improvement needed: No flat TV but the old type TV?? ... C'mon Occidental we know you can do better.
Improvement needed: Room infrastructure, increase variety of meals, improve the snack service as I recommended in the survey and pay attention to the room infrastructure.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank apakaba2
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

This was my boyfriends and my first trip to Costa Rica, and it was simply amazing! We looked at many reviews on the Allegro Papagayo and had mixed feelings about it but booked it anyway and glad we did. We are the type of people that are not high class, so we know what to expect when going to a third world country.

The Hotel itself is beautiful. It is VERY hilly so please keep in mind that you will be doing a lot of walking. However, there is a shuttle that runs every 10 minutes that will drive you all around the resort. We made friends with one driver, Osmond. He was absolutely awesome! If you come into runs with him, you'll become instant friends. The staff is exceptionally friendly and will go out of their way to make sure your stay is comfortable! They all speak pretty good English, but please be patient with them if they don't quite understand you. Our room was always clean. The bedding was always changed as well as our towels. The only thing, our air conditioner stopped working 2 days before we left, however, it was fixed the night we complained.

The food was spectacular! Where Costa Rica is Americanized, the pop was the very same as home. Breakfast was delicious, the pancakes and french toast was really good, bacon not so much. The fruit was unreal! So fresh and delicious!! You can drink the water right on the resort, the water is very pure. The snack bar had a lot of American food (fries, onion rings, chicken fingers) all really tasty and got us by until supper time. A lot of rice is on the menu. The chicken and beef was so good! We never had any issues eating any of the food.

The pool is really nice, not really deep but is a lifesaver to cool off in. There is a swim up bar but we never really used it. In the bar area, there is 2 pool tables and a foosball table. The pina colada's are amazing!!

The beach is not much to get excited about. The grounds on the beach I found to be a little dirty (its the designated smoking area). The black sand however was absolutely beautiful, if you walk up the beach a little, the sand becomes really clean and nice to walk on, however, it is very hot; and would sparkle in the sun. The water is a little murky, so we couldn't do much snorkeling (we took our own gear). Keep a look out for the puffer fish! There are guys on the beach who will try and sell excursions. We were advised not to buy from there as they are pirates. You can take kayaks out on the water as well as do archery. There is a boat that takes you to another beach with white sand, leaves at 9 in the morning and comes back at 1 or 2; it's also included on the resort.

We did 3 excursions, and also went to Coco Beach with another couple to split the cost. It was $80 American to travel to Coco Beach. But there are a lot of great shops there and really awesome restaurants! Bargain with vendors, they will drop the price for you as some stuff is ridiculously pricey! If you plan on doing any excursions, I recommend the Nicaragua one. Not only does your passport get stamped 4 times, you go into another country and also see an active volcano. Definitely worth the money! You do leave early in the morning and return late at night.
We did a rain forest/skywalk which we wish we never went on. We didn't see any wildlife except for a sloth in a tree which I assume lives there, because it was difficult to spot, but our tour guide had no issues spotting it; and a morpho butterfly which flew away before getting a picture of it. However, the waterfall was breathtaking!!
We also did a beach tour and shopping excursion which we also wish we never went on. Keep in mind, this excursion isn't a free for all shopping tour!! Our tour guide only took us to certain places where she could get discounts or free stuff if the tourists bought from the store. If we had have known, we would never have went. However, one of the beaches we went to had pretty cool waves, and you could body surf in them. The beach was made of seashells and was soft to walk on. We did go for lunch and it was fairly cheap, right beside Witch's Rock.

You can rent a car but it is quite pricey, the rental company usually wants a down payment or damage deposit of $1,000 American. We were advised not to drive in Costa Rica as drivers are a little dangerous.

There is wildlife on the resort but come out at weird times. You can usually catch the monkeys early in the morning sometimes in the afternoon but beware that they are a little aggressive in the afternoon. Keep clear of the older one! But you can feed them, take some banana's and pineapple, they love them! Hold your camera out to them and you can get some pretty neat pictures of them trying to touch the lens of your camera. Raccoon's came out in the evening, usually around 7. They love bread! There is also a cat that is quite vocal but harmless. Please take it some milk as it's usually starving!

Overall, we are glad we went. My boyfriend and I both said we would go back and would definitely go back to this resort. Maybe go in a different month where it was extremely hot (40-50 degrees celsius). Drink plenty of water, I don't suggest you buy it at the gift shop or else you'll be paying a lot of money! There's water cooler stations around the resort to fill up your bottles.

I advice you NOT TO BUY from the airport. Eat before you leave Canada and also before you leave Costa Rica. We wanted to get 2 pieces of pizza and 2 drinks and it would have costed us $40 American. A small bag of chips was $5 and a big bag was $10. We waited to eat once we got home.

Please keep an open mind that you are in a third world country, so expect the little nic nacs that aren't quite the norm to you. Kick back and relax in the beautiful country of Costa Rica and take in what it has to offer!

Room Tip: Where the resort is on a hill, the buildings are divided up by hills. Rooms in the second level hil...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple