“Excellent experience with entertainment staff”
Review of Allegro Papagayo

Allegro Papagayo
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We had a wonderful time at Allegro Papagayo and we attribute it to the entertainment staff at the resort. We enjoyed the pool activities and also the evening dancing shows. Marilyn and Cristopher were two of the staff members who made our trip the most amazing adventure we have been on. We went as strangers and left as friends. Marilyn and Cristopher both speak English very well and they made the effort to become much more than staff. They encouraged us to have fun in the pool during the daily activities and they made our evenings the most enjoyable that I have had at any resort. I plan to return with my 8 year old daughter next year so that she can meet our new friends and enjoy all that Costa Rica has to offer!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stephanie B

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Built on a beautiful hillside overlooking Papagayo Bay, this resort is dated but still lively. Now because of the hillside, the getting around the resort is not for the faint of heart. There is a shuttle to help with getting around but since we were in building 5, we used the short hike to our room as preparation for hiking in the tropical rain forest later on in our trip. The food and drink was plentiful with friendly servers. Our main man, Jimmy, who gave us Spanish names always greeted us with a smile, handshake, and hug. He had our table ready and waiting at every meal. On our last day, he provided us directions to our next destination. As for bar service, you expect limited choices at an all-inclusive resort. So, the national beer "Imperial" was perfect for drinking as much as we wanted. To name our favorite bartenders, both Johnny and Minor treated us with friendly smiles every time. The swim up bar was was extravagant as was the beautiful resort pool. Entertainment was simple and the activity staff was energetic. Because of Christian, our 10 year old son was always included in the daily pool volleyball games. The room was cleaned daily with fresh towels. We met people from around the world at the resort and enjoyed many laughs together. We used our stay at the resort as our base camp for 4 days of scuba diving. So, it was a perfect place to relax each afternoon after diving in the mornings. We enjoyed getting to see howler monkeys and white faced monkeys along with iguanas, coutamundi, raccoons, and not to forget to mention the resident kitty cat who was named "Seymour" by our son. The beach was lovely black sand with gold flecks and perfect for relaxing and lounging. This resort is not 5-star quality, but as seasoned travelers, we were happy with our vacation and would be happy to stay here again!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Shelley M
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The trip overall (10 days) was awesome... we rented vehicles (2 days) and went on 2 excursions. Really enjoyed getting different food from local restaurants. Allegros rooms were not very well maintained and restocking of items was lacking. I was looking forward to having more seafood options for meals. The staff is what made this stay worth talking about. Eric, Cristian, Arvellio, Jimmy are awesome guys... Really fun and friendly. If I were to go back - it would be because of them. The fun club was great - kept things upbeat at the resort.

The massages at the resort were not any better than I've gotten from a non-professional.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jason W
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I own a travel agency (since 1988).....I travel extensively - all over the world. I roll with the punches and am pretty laid back. Now that I have children, my schedule is dictated by their school calander. I was trying to get away with an inexpensive trip over Easter break....SHAME ON ME....I should know better!!!! This property is horrible. THE FOOD IS ABSOLUTELY GHASTLY.....if you want to sample the same thing OVER AND OVER AGAIN in the evening as you did at lunch but doctored up a little then this is your place. They served the previous days hot dogs at breakfast and listed them as breakfast sausage. I was appalled...so much so that I paid to leave a day early. They are suppose to have a children's program...NOOOOOOO, they don't. Staff informed me that the "kid's club" is closed for renovation and has been for some time. So much for "single mom" getting a slight break to get a massage. Management is not pro-active and is nowhere to be found if needed. If you have any physical difficulties with walking or climbing...DO NOT COME HERE.

I read the reviews and I am very disappointed that so many individuals approved of this place by giving it a 3 star rating. AT BEST this property deserves 1 star and that would be generous.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank InsatiableTravler
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We arrived on Saturday May 24, 2014, the view from the lobby was breathtaking, we were greeted very warmly by Kimberly and the rest of the lobby staff. Early to arrive but we were able to change and go to the pool until our room was ready. From start to finish, our stay at the Allegro Papagayo was wonderful. The bartenders and wait staff were very professional and friendly. The activity team members did a great job in getting the guests involved in a variety of activities that were lots of fun and then put on an amazing and different show each night. Very talented and beautiful dancers! The MC of the show engaged the audience and got even the shyest person up on the stage for some fun. We were able to feed monkeys and Iguanas right at the resorts black sand beach also. With the hotel on the hillside there were plenty of stairs but they provided shuttle service to get around from the lobby to your rooms with the drivers there to help you if needed. The food served at the buffet had a lot of options and was delicious. Flies and bees attracted to the sweet drinks were bothersome but the overall experience was a vacation not to be forgotten. Thank you Allegro Papagayo, Pura Vida!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Debbie A
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

So let me start off with saying anyone that says this is the worst place ever must of just stayed in their room. I first start off with this place is pretty much in the off beaten Path...the rooms were mediocre needs some updating but we were only there to sleep...the pool was amazing....the food was delicious...the beach was not what I am used to but the views are amazing. They pretty much make similar dishes but still great. The staff truly make this place special. Please make sure and tip as these people deserve it! Jimmy waited on us and was amazing very attentive and remembered things you liked. Cristian was a great host he was so friendly, Marilyn was not only a wonderful dancer but pretty good on the volleyball game and what a beauty! Of course I can't forget Enrique and Princess! We plan on returning and hope to do some excursions we only stayed 4 nights and it was not long enough...it was truly a great experience. Some helpful hints ask for building 10 2nd floor great view and access. Bring a water bottle unless you are a owner they don't stock fridge. Also bring bug spray and sunscreen ...store there is too expensive. Make sure and feed the monkeys on beach it was an awesome experience! Get up early gets dark at 6 and light at 5. Go enjoy their nightly entertainment ...liqueur is not very strong beer is a better option...I had a great time and made great memories loved meeting Jennifer fr S Carolina - the sweet girls from Chicago and Cali- Alain from Canada ....make sure and Tell Cristian, Marilyn, and Jimmy his friends from Ohio said hola! Loved it! I won't lie the rooms needs some updating and I don't even think we watched tv! Why would we! It was beautiful get outside people! As since there is no gym walking up and down hill was ok. But could be hard for an older person. I heard they are updating the resort we are anxious to come back! We will post pics soon!

Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Liltia
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Property sits up high on cliff. Beautiful views. Internet only at buffet or reception. Food was good but battling the flies especially at lunch made it not worth the effort. They should put fans by food stations to keep flies off food. Staff exceptional. If you are someone not in great shape you may want to stay in bldg 10-15 since only have to do three flights of stairs to get to pool area. They have shuttle that runs around property but getting to bus stop is still a trek. Pool area beautiful and iqunanas everywhere lol they are harmless. Beach is black sand and monkeys abound. The outside of building beautiful and grounds inside of rooms need serious updating.. Mismatched furniture, cracked and stained tiles, flat pillows but the staff and entertainment made you look past these deficiencies. You have a fridge in room n I suggest you bring your own water since I pd $8.25 for a 1 liter bottle of evian.. Insane

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple