“Allegro Papagayo is probably the best value in all of Costa Rica!”
Review of Allegro Papagayo

Allegro Papagayo
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My family of 5 absolutely loved it here!! We stayed here from June 6 through June 9, 2014, after we spent one week at Condovac La Costa. It was an incredible value (we got one room with a Groupon and our kids’ room on Orbitz with a 20% off promo code – the Groupon deal was for only 2 people – it was extra for a third person – but the Orbitz booking allowed us to have 3 people in the room – so read the details carefully everywhere when booking this hotel).

It was great from the minute we arrived until the sad minute we had to leave. We had no problem getting reservations to the fine dining restaurants all 3 nights we were there. We also got reservations on the boat to the private island both of our full days there with no problem. The buffets had a wide variety of choices so that even my 3 picky children (ages 19, 17, and 9) always had a lot that they loved to eat. I’ve never seen them eat so good (though it wasn’t so much fun cleaning up the food that came back up when my 19-year-old – who is legal there – had too much to drink and got sick).

Our first experience with monkeys was on the beach of the private island that the hotel’s boat takes you to. It was like being in the middle of the monkeys’ playground! There were dozens of white-faced monkeys hopping from tree to tree, swinging under branches, and eating out of your hand. There were many monkey mothers with baby monkeys on their backs. We took lots of pictures and videos. Be sure to take fruit off the breakfast buffet to the island. We had no idea there would be monkeys there. If you don’t have any, the employees that serve you lunch in the pavilion may have bananas. They did when we were there. They serve all the cocktails you could want on the island, but the only food, unfortunately, is bologna sandwiches with condiments and fruit. However, you get back to the resort in time to still eat lunch at the lunch buffet. So don’t worry about missing lunch. Eat a big breakfast, bring some snacks, and eat a big lunch when you get back. Our teenage boys didn’t want to go with us when we went to the island (we hadn’t know about the monkeys). We told them about how exciting it was to see, watch, and feed the monkeys. So they went with us to the island our next day (our last full day there). However, unfortunately, the monkeys were not there that day. When it was time to go, we got on the first boat (a small boat takes you out to the larger boat). Then the crew went back to the beach to pick up the rest of the people on the island to bring them to the boat also. Then we heard the people on the island says, “The monkeys are here!!” So they did come – just much later the second day because they were there the entire time we were there the first day. Our last morning there we walked to the hotel beach (a black sand beach) after breakfast and saw those white-faced monkeys right there in the trees on the hotel beach! They were also very friendly. We went back to get bananas, and they ate out of your hand also. The island and hotel also had many local raccoon-type animals (coatis). Despite looking like wild animals, they would come up and want to eat out of your hand also.

The view was to-die for. We had a great view of the ocean/gulf from our room. They also had good shows and entertainment. The air conditioning stopped working once, but it was only a fuse. Same thing happened to our kids' room, so it must be a common problem. They promptly fixed it. All in all, you can't beat the price - it's only a like more money than a hotel. I'd heard the food was bland, so I brought hot sauces and spicy condiments from home. I didn't need them. They have a local tasty sauce called "Salsa" in stores and they also have Tabasco. Everything was really great. Wish we'd had more time there, but we stayed at a boring timeshare (boring compared to this place, anyway) our first 7 nights and only had 3 nights here.

I researched local tours to do and found a local tour guide who was recommended in several TripAdvisor reviews, so I wanted to definitely list him in my review. I prearranged everything with him, and we got to see and do everything we wanted at an extremely reasonable price. His name is Herson Segura (herson03@yahoo.com). Since we had teenage boys and a 9-year old girl, we had many special requests. He customized our tours according to what we wanted, and it saved a lot of time, money, and hassle. We did extreme ziplining, ATVing, deep sea fishing, the Rincon de la Viejo Mega Combo tour (w/o ziplining since we had wanted the extreme ziplining somewhere else instead), the Arenal tour, and visited Tamarindo Beach. He pointed out a lot of wildlife (Howler monkeys, Toucans, and he stopped the van so that we could see a sloth which was on a power line). And he speaks English fluently. I would highly recommend contacting Herson to handle all of your tours and transportation in Guanacaste. See my article in the Guanacaste/Attractions section.

Room Tip: The rooms with a view are worth the little bit extra they charge per night. Amazing views!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank hmuica
Write a ReviewReviews (1,860)

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Friendly staff, great food, black sand beach with great scenary and wildlife. There are wasps but we were not stung. If you leave them alone they won't sting you I suppose. There is a $2 charge per day to use the safety box. By the resort it is black sand beach which I enjoyed. Everyday except on Tuesday there is a boat that takes people for free to a white sand beach if you prefer the white sand. If you love nature, you will love this place.

Room Tip: Rooms in building 10 and 11 have wifi access most of the time. We stayed in room 1016 and the A/C wo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sithamparapillai
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My number one problem was the bees those things are everywhere. For example, I was at the buffet eating lunch when I took a drink from my cup there were already three bees inside. Very bad experience overall definitely would not recommend this resort.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Chris11Leon
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Hi recently stayed at the Allegro Papgayo with my 8 year old daughter from 7/19-7/26. I stayed in building 10 which was a perfect location to the pool/beach/restaurants. Unfortunately I had a room on the 1st floor which had ants, small worms and spiders. It was annoying but I am generally not spooked by insects.( the only downside of staying in buildings 10,11 or 15 is the nightly show and music playing until 10/11 at night. If your ok with noise ro staying up to enjoy the show/disco then it should not be a problem The wasps on the other hand were a nightmare.... I got stung twice, once in the mouth! My daughter was stung as well. One boy my daughter was playing with got stung while the wasp was in the pool (the one place I thought was safe from them) In all fairness I did ready the reviews but didn't believe their was an infestation... There IS an infestation!! Enjoying a drink by the pool was almost impossible because of them and people had the nerve to leave their drinks lying around from them to swarm over. The staff never made constant efforts to clean up the drinks. The activity staff was nice, they did their best to try to engage people in activities. The "Kids Club" was the activity staff playing with the kids and taking them down to the beach for an hour everyday. They often had small children and didn't supervise them all that well. I was ok with letting my 8 year old go with them but if she were younger and needed more supervision I wouldn't. I thought the food was good, there were some good options for beef, pork, fish. The issue with the restaurant is that by lunch time it is swarming with wasps and flies as it is not indoors. The specialized restaurants were ok, but you have to go to the lobby to make the reservation the day you want to go. It's not convenient since the lobby is up on the top of the hill. They have a "shuttle" which is mostly an old van that drives around with the door open up and down a hill and picks people up and drops them off. The wifi by the buffet worked maybe 3 of the 7 days.... Don't look for consistent wifi there. I stayed in their adult only Occidental Grand hotel 2 years ago and what a huge difference in service in the resort and the quality of service. The country itself made the trip worth is but if your going for a great resort experience stay somewhere else. If you stay there and are not traveling with children you may get lucky and get upgraded to the Grand resort which many people were being offered.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank deannaw30
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This property has its good points and its bad points. With Latino/American pop techno music blaring, poolside salsa dance lessons and an all-you-can-eat buffet (people, it's a just a phrase, not a suggestion), the scene is set for a Fantasy Island-meets Love Boat (minus the chemically enhanced purser) experience. The 80s theme continues with the decor but you'll be surprised to know that the resort was built in 2001-apparently.

The black sand beach offers some tranquility although the toilet paper-like substance washed into the nearby mangroves doesn't make it inviting.

Silly policies such as the need to make a booking for one of the two reservations-only restaurants in person on the day (between 8am-5pm, can't call, can't book in advance) is simply ridiculous, especially if you're out touring all day. And let's not forget that the reception/guest relations is at the top of a pretty steep hill so ladies, wear your flats.

Due to overbooking, I was offered an upgrade to their adults-only (yes, I was intrigued too) sister property for the final two nights-see separate review for Grand Papagayo. This was handled with the aplomb that makes Fawlty Towers look like the Four Seasons. Poor staff communications, botched paperwork, missed transfers.....

Food is generally good. Very American in style. The omnipresent bees (wasps?) hovering around the drinks machines is a little disconcerting, especially when you find them in your drinks.

The wifi is only available in two public areas and you guessed it, one is at the top of that bloody hill. Its connectivity is generally ok with sporadic down times which is unlike the hot water service in my colleague's room-there wasn't any for 4 days of a 6 day stay. This is despite repeated daily requests to have it fixed.

And now for its bad points......

Room Tip: Want a good room? Go as far away from the pool as possible.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Alvin W
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I just left the allegro papagayo resort and I just have to say don't believe any of the negative comments on here. Honestly you get what you pay for. I have nothing bad to say. The food was awesome, plenty of activities, make sure you play volleyball with Chris! He makes your vacation worth it. Also Marilyn was so friendly with my friends child she would take her and do activities for a few hours to give us a break. The shows at night were so much fun! Chris, Marilyn, Enrique, & Karen are amazing and so friendly. I left today and I felt like I was leaving my family :( I will be back soon. Thank you guys for an amazing time!! I love you and I miss you!!!

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Beckag143
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed here Jumy 13th-19th, 2014. The resort is located about 30-40 miles from the airport in a secluded area. There was nothing else around this hotel. The taxi ride costs $70 and the driver will try to charge you more by giving you an incorrect foreign exchange rate. We arrived at the hotel a bit early so we were not allowed to check in. They did allow us to have some lunch while we waited for our rooms to become available. The front desk did allow us to store our luggage while we waited. The hotel is located on the side of a mountain with the front desk located at the top of the hill. You would need a shuttle van to get around the resort unless you enjoy steep hills. The pool area was really nice, with plenty of seating located around the pool. There is only one place for the guests to eat. It is an open air buffet restaurant with screens designed to keep out birds and other animals. Flys and bees..... well they I guess they are welcome guests. You see them everywhere and they are extremely aggressive around your food. There are 3 places to grab a drink around the hotel, the lobby (up the steep hill), the wet bar (constantly unattended) and the bar outside of the buffet. There are two restaurants that can be reserved ( mexican and italian) which are open on alternate days. Since we stood 6 nights, we were able to make reservations at both restaurants. We tried the mexican first. The food was horrible. I ordered a burrito but got a fajita. How do you mess that up? My wife had the red snapper. It was really fishy tasting. It was edible but not good. They served Churros for dessert. It was an oily greasy mess. We tried the italian a few days later. The food was a bit better. I tried to order the marlin but it was not available and they offered me red snapper instead. The waiter said that the red snapper was a better fish. Recalling back to the mexican night, I took a pass and ordered a pasta dish. They did NOT have tiramasu for dessert. It was available in the dessert bar at the buffet but not at the restaurant. Go figure. The amenities were really lacking. The wifi was free when you can get access to it, The beach was a black sand beach but unappealing. There was a free boat ride to the other side of the bay which offered a "white sand beach". That beach was full of crushed sea shells. It was not bad, there were beach chairs available as well as kayaks for the guests to use. There was a snack bar which served sandwiches and fruit. There really was not much going on at the resort. The activities were severely lacking. There was a great volleyball net in the pool but unless you had a ball to play with you had no use for it. The staff should have engaged the adults more. There was a nightly show that began at 9PM. It really was not entertaining. It was the same 5 performers performing traditional dances from different latin american countries. There was a night club that began at 11PM but it was a ghost town there. Pretty much after dinner there was nothing to do on the resort. We will not return back to this resort. Not sure if we would return to Costa Rica since there were no real tours that allow you to experience the rain forests or anything else Costa Rica related. If you do make it to the area, go on the tour to Nicaragua. It was great, and the sights were better than what we saw in Costa Rica. Plus you get an extra stamp on your passport.

Room Tip: We asked for a king bed but were given 2 full size beds instead. Rooms are dated. We were offered...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple