Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica(Gulf of Papagayo)(Great Value!)
US$661
Hotels.com
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Occidental Papagayo - Adults only(Gulf of Papagayo)(Great Value!)
US$209
US$194
  • Breakfast included
US$87
Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel(Playa Panama)(Great Value!)
US$373
US$273
Orbitz.com
El Mangroove, Autograph Collection(Playa Panama)(Great Value!)
US$260
US$239
US$474
US$435
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
2,087 results
All reviewsgolf coursecanopy suitecena socialesol y sombracielo roomcosta ricagolf clubburger shackscreened in porcharnold palmerplunge poolcomplimentary activitieszip liningcatch of the dayocean sidecooking classice water
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 October 2007

I went to the Costa Rica Four Seasons (FS) with a girlfriend for about 5 days. Great, gorgeous property! It was in a Mexican/Trendy style decor. Wonderful beach time! The property sits on a skinny strip of land in the ocean, so there are 2 beaches (one on each side) and I loved them both, nice blue water with decent snorkeling and great kayaking.

SERVICE: The service was great. I must say that the service was a tiny bit better at other FS properties (both resort and non-resort), but keep in mind that this still means it's way above average and wonderful! We simply had to wait a little while to get service at the pool, but I think it was because they were very busy. Just to make sure it wasn't me being demanding (and politely demanding I can be), I asked another person sitting nearby and they agreed, so I told one of the waiters we waited a bit longer than we had liked and........there it was! Ah, the FS service....waiters everywhere!

ROOMS: We had a great oceanview room with a screened in porch (don't leave food out in the patio unattended for a long period of time! The animals can tear the screen and get it!). The rooms were better than the typical FS floorplan: the great bathtub was situated between the sinks and the bed (you could close some shutters to completely separate the bathroom), but it was nice. When the shutters were open, you could take a bubble bath and see the ocean.

FOOD: The food was delicious, wonderful breakfast buffet, the "catch of the day" twice per week....the fishermen come in with whatever they catch that morning/afternoon and the chef comes out to ask you how you would like your seafood prepared and asks you where you want it!

There is also neat wildlife throughout the property to see! Such as: monkeys, birds, lizards, etc. You can also go golfing in property. There are other neat things off property to do too: canopy zip line, nature siting river adventure, mud bath adventure, etc. I loved the Costa Rica FS!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
4  Thank lotsofbites
Reviewed 17 October 2007

My husband and I took our 2 young kids with us to experience Costa Rica and the resort, which we'd heard nothing but good things about. Both the hotel and the country lived up to to all of the incredible things we'd heard.

The hotel staff was superb from beginning to end. They couldn't do enough for us and no special request was a problem. The Ticans (Costa Ricans) have hospitality down pat and the service industry in the U.S. could learn a tremendous amount from them. They never ever acted put out and went well above and beyond the call. Thank you one and all for a refreshing change!! You do tourism the way it should be done!!!

The food at the resort was great, which is a good thing since any other options are a long way away. We loved the restaurant at the golf course... great food and drinks (try the pina coladas there... best anywhere!!) Even room service was delicious and on the one occassion when my little one's meal was prepared differently than we asked, they not only brought a replacement, but also brought dessert for all on the house and a huge fruit platter, none of which was the least bit necessary. Again, way above and beyond to make sure everyone was happy.

The beaches were fine... not huge, but adequate. One had resident sand sharks, which were harmless and fun to watch. The other had microscopic jelly fish, which got us once in a while, but weren't a big deal. Be sure to hike the trail of stairs, which is a long haul (take water!!!!), but leads to a gorgeous, big, deserted beach! Watch for monkeys in the trees along the way. We saw a monkey family hanging out, complete with a baby on its mother's back... sooo amazing!!

The golf course tour is also a great way to see howler monkeys in the trees. The views are spectacular and it's well worth the time.

Be sure to venture outside of the resort to see real Costa Rica. We used a guide that the concierge recommended and he was fantastic (sorry... forgot his name :(() He took us off the beaten path and also to Arenal to do zip lines and see the volcano. It was well worth it... loads of fun and a full day off the property. Deep sea fishing was also great... and the chef at the hotel will prepare your catch for you, which was fun.

I could write so much more, but suffice it to say that Costa Rica captured my heart!! I rarely return to the same destination because there's so much more of the world to see, but this is one place that I can't wait to return to!! Although the resort is VERY expensive, even by Four Seasons standards, it's special enough to be worth it. Enjoy!!!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
7  Thank onthegogo
Reviewed 11 October 2007

My wife and I were able to spend a week with this property. We loved it. The rooms are wonderful with great views of the ocean located on both sides of the hotel. The hotel set up great diving that was less than 15 minutes by boat from their beach. They also set up surfing from there beach to Witches Rock. The property is stunning with a staircase through the jungle that takes you to your own private beach. The best asset this hotel has is the staff. They are truly interesting in your stay with them and are very proud of the resort and Costa Rica. We meet and were assited by Walter Hess (assistant director of rooms) who may have been one of the best employees I have run into. He went way out of his way to assited my wife and I with special requests. I have read some reviews on the cost of food within the resort, which by the way is wonderfu and full of flavor, the cost is high yet the payoff in staff, location and the resort is worth it.

we will be back!

2  Thank findmeabeach
Reviewed 26 September 2007

The only thing I can say is "Do stay". The place far exceeded any Four Seasons Resorts that I have visited. When you leave you know it was money well spent. The food, the staff, the grounds, everything was truly amazing.

My husband and I really recommend this hotel for Honeymooners, families and children.

Vamanos!

4  Thank NYCONN
Reviewed 26 September 2007

We stayed in the Four Seasons (Suite 1521) last weekend for the 2nd time in a one and a half year. Due to the Hotel location and their gate control the check in is perfect and you are welcomed by name and the normal check in procedures are done fast.

The Bell Boy service is outstanding so is the telephone and Front Desk service and truly reflects High end 5 stars Guest Services and Standards.

Friendliness and Guest Service attitude of most employees has been very good except for the Breakfast service. My wife was asked if we are hotel guests in quite a negative way to say the least, to verify her answer was correct it took them almost 20 minutes, which in return did delayed our Breakfast service (40min) very much. Both the delay of the service and the attitude was way out of line.

The overall pricing of all Products and services are on the high end and well deserved I only consider the Breakfast price for 1 cup of café, juice and pan cake 22 USD plus over the top even for a Four Season Hotel.

The resort is partly being renovated or better face lifted at present; some services have been reduced due to the low occupancy such as Buffet Breakfast other Restaurant outlets did operate normally.

Our Guest Rom was perfectly made up, well maintained with all Amenities you may look for in a high end Resort.

The Spa is well managed, the Spa Services are good to perfect, the Spa is clean ad offers all Amenities for an Top of the line Spa, Reception desk courtesy was outstanding so was the Attitude of the Spa Therapists as well as Valets. The price value is fine however on the upper high end.

For as far as I concern the only down side up to this point in time are their 2 beach areas, the presentation is neither what it could or should be. This goes for the beach furniture as well as for cleanliness

Overall comparing my first and 2nd stay in Four Season, Employee attitude as well as Guest Services did for sure improve, maintenance problems still need to be addressed.

6  Thank GlobetroterAmericas