“Incredible beautiful resort!”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Avon Park, Florida
“Incredible beautiful resort!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

Fantastic - great! Staff was excellent and extremely accomodating. Food was great and views, bungalow incredible. Highly recommend to anyone and families will love it! Off sight zip lining was great - scheduled through resort. Spa was amazing, and my daughter loved room service.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

My husband and our two children just returned from a 13 day vacation at the Four Seasons. I was hesitant at first due to the cost involved. In the end, it was worth it.

I was grateful for all of the tips on Trip Advisor. It really helped me maximize my stay there. Here is my experience.

Arrival:
Departure tax. We were told to purchase this at the airport upon arrival to beat the lines when departing. I think it was $28/person. You can actually purchase this at the Four Seasons so no need to do this at the airport.

Transportation:
EcoTrans - $60 each way. They were clean, professional and kind. He stopped at a local grocery store for snacks (not needed) but wasn't sure given some of the comments I read on TripAdvisor (TA). The only thing they did not provide was a car seat for my 2 yr old. In the end, he loved not being strapped in. The cost is unbeatable. We also had to depart at 4 am. They were there with a smile even that early. You can choose to tip the driver given the average salary in CR is $20/day.

Room:
I read all sorts of reviews about the rooms actually thinking I could request a particular one prior to arrival. It's really hard to describe how it is set up. You will see once you get there. We were in a canopy suite and then upgraded to Canopy Suite with plunge pool room 711 (due to AMEX card). All I can say is it was amazing. We were concerned about our two year old but other than a couple of bumps he was fine. My nine year old was in the pool every morn by 6:30 am. My husband and I loved it at night once the kids were down. It is extremely romantic. You can also have breakfast, lunch or dinner served on your terrace. It helped with my 2 yr olds early morning wake up. We would call in breakfast room service the night before. By 6:15 am (or whatever time you choose) the breakfast was set up on the terrace ready for two hungry children. Upon return from our trip, he was upset breakfast wasn't made quick enough for him at home (too bad the 4 seasons isn't here to serve him). Also, kids under 4 or 5 yrs of age eat for free. We were unaware of that. You can order anything at anytime for them. Just be sure to specify the age of the child and check your receipt.

Washer/Dryer are provided on the premises near the rooms. I did not know that either. They have complimentary detergent, etc. So no need to overpack.

Any canopy suite or above is located further from pools, restaurants. Golf carts come to pick you up, etc. They were efficient. Once in a while we walked (no big deal).

Because we extended our time there, we had to stay one night in a regular room. I think 2304. Anyway, it was nice as well. It has an enclosed balcony with seating area. I wouldn't of thought I was missing out on anything if I had not just been in the canopy suite with plunge pool.

OK - i could write all night on this place. I will be brief on the rest of it.

Pools - great.

Beach club - closed on Mondays. Gotta visit this place. They will drive you there. You can charge anything there to your room. The waves are better for boogie boarding, etc. The pools are amazing. They even have a small kids pool, lap pool, hot tub, etc. Take cash. There is a guy named Soloman there selling handmade jewelry. You can find the same at Playa del Coco but he was nice and again they live on $20/day if they have a stable job.

The Beach Club restaurant at night was good. Pretty pricey. Service unbelievable. You can ask for anything. They will try to oblige. Easy to get spoiled.

Playa Nacascolo - OK this beach is PERFECT for young children. If you have kids 5 and under go early in your trip. It is like a bathtub. It is probably 2 feet deep for forever. My son had fish swimming around him and he didn't even have to put his face in the water. It was my favorite place. Great for snorkeling. No waves and very quiet. A car has to drive you there. Take water and towels from the resort. There is no service there. Get there early when tide is high. Absolutely amazing. Be wary of the pisotes (raccoon family). They will actually dig in your bag and take your food. Same at the hotel. Don't leave food on the terrace or unattended. They will take it.

Spa - Ask for Randall. I saw his name on TA and requested him for two treatments. I wanted to bring him home with me. He's been there 8 years and is wonderful. Expensive but a nice treat. Oh if you want to see an incredible sunset reserve your treatment so that you are wrapping up when the sun is setting. You can take a dip in the woman's plunge pool (open to all guests). The view from that spot is unbelievable. That area is for 16 yrs and above. It is usually empty because everyone is on sunset beach.

Food - is fine. I was concerned given all the reviews. It can get tiring after a while but it was fine. Breakfast buffett was great. Lots of selection.

Beach - hotel is flanked by two beaches. One is sunset beach the other is for activities (forgot the name). Anyway, you can borrow paddle boards, kayaks, hobie cats, snorkle gear (which you can then take to Playa Nacascolo), life vests, etc. They were very helpful.

Other services - we rented a boat for 1/2 day. The hotel discourages outside vendors. We paid around $350 cash for 1/2 day. One of these days, we went to secluded beach and walked thru caves, etc. When snorkeling the guide went under and brough up a puffer fish, small octopus and a star fish. We all held them. Take an underwater camera. The photos are priceless. My husband fished a bit. They will custome tailor the trip. On another trip, he and my daughter fished. They caught Mahi Mahi, black tuna and almost caught a sailfish. They brought one back to the hotel and the chef prepared it to our liking. Very cool for her to see.

Excursion - we zip lined (through hotel) expensive but not many other options other than renting a car and going elsewhere.

After a few days, I wanted to see another part of CR other than 4 seasons. I was sure not much of the country lived like that. I didn't want to pay the expense of a private guide. I couldn't take my entire family b/c two year old wouldn't last to the far away excursions. The concierage helped me with securing a National Rental Car with a driver. It was much cheaper than the other options. The car and driver was about $200 for 24 hrs. I can speak Spanish so basically we drove all over the Guanacaste area. Luis, my driver, was very nice. We were gone the entire day and I visited tons of small towns, beaches - Playa conchal, playa tamarindo (known for surfing), playa del coco (very touristy and water taxi can take you there from hotel for a fee), playa panama (beautiful volcanic sand and empty), etc. Anyway, it was cool to show my daughter how the real world lives.

Kids Club at Hotel - Great for 3- 6 yr olds. My 9 yr old daughter got bored. Amazing for little ones. Any guest can take their young ones there to play or drop off. They have all the toys they could ever want. My son loved the pool. They will not take 2 yr olds but worth the visit to distract them.

Other activities worth trying out - sunset kayak, kayak around monkey head, sky lantern (only offered once/wk so register upon arrival), nature hike, etc. Enjoyed all of these. Some have a fee. I also did the yoga. She was good.

No need to bring repellant - they will provide it. They also have sunscreen but always good to have yours. They offer bottled water in the room and everywhere else you go. No need to use the refillable plastic bottle (provide for a fee) in the room.

So, my husband's bday was during our trip. I mentioned it to the staff. Jessica Perez went out of her way to help make it memorable. She had her laptop delivered to my suite and asked me to download a family pic. She then had a banner made with our family pic, pics of hotel and bday wishes for my husband. She had balloons in the room and a small chocolate cake (his favorite). She epitomizes above and beyond. All of this at no addtl cost to us. I was impressed.

I could share more. I hope the info helps others as earlier posts helped me prepare and thoroughly enjoy this amazing memory we created.

20 Thank maria c
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

My brother and I recently spent 4 nights at the Four Seasons hotel and we enjoyed our time a lot. The food was great as was the hotel staff and the overall atmosphere. Our favorite part of the stay was our time on the golf course which is big and has spectacular views. In fact, the views of the entire property will take your breath away more than once. You can count on it . They had very nice nighttime shows of different kinds and always nice music to enjoy drinks nightly at the bar.  The rooms were very comfortable with a nice porch. They had several swimming pools to relax and the white sand beaches were delightful!  We also enjoyed the  spa. The massages were incredible and I even fell asleep during one of them.  Costa Rica does have two distinct seasons the dry and wet seasons. We went early in the rainy season but had no problems whatsoever due to the rain. It never interfered with our hotel stay or our amazing tour that we took with Issys Tours. Thank god we could enjoy every moment while still being able to escape the heavy rain to come.  We contacted Christian Valverde, owner of Issys Tours. He is extremely professional and fluent in both English and of course Spanish. He is incredibly knowledgeable about everything Costa Rica has to offer and much more. He even was able to explain to us several political and environmental issues that were important to us regarding Costa Rica and that allowed us to gain trust in him and to build a nice working  relationship. Just as important and something we respected a lot is that he is  passionate about what he does and it shows in every aspect of his work. He made it a point to meet us on the morning of our adventure tour of bird watching and the hanging suspension bridges in the area of the Arenal Volcano. We were pleasantly surprised by this and it just goes to show the level of commitment he has to providing great customer service.  Our guide Diego was also so kind and friendly. He is awesome at searching for and pointing out different bird and mammal species along the hiking trails and even up on top of the suspension bridges which greatly assisted us in fully being able to enjoy  Costa Rica’s natural beauty. The Arenal Hanging Bridges are composed of a series  of about 15  bridges, tunnels and winding trails that extend a distance of about 2 miles or (3 kilometers). It was also a bit windy when we went so I recommend bringing an extra sweater or windbreaker to handle the wind speed at high elevations. The bridges are very secure and they offer an up close and personal view of the  Arenal Volcano and rainforest in the distance. The nature reserve is particularly beautiful as it is home to some 200 bird species and an abundance of plants and animals. As avid bird lovers, we took advantage of the bird watching tour that was offered to us. The bird watching tour provides you with an expert bird guide who helps to point out and spot over 50 kinds of bird species that call the park their home.  We also got to go on a natural history tour in which the guide puts more attention on searching for animal and plant species in the park. We were able to see all kinds of creatures such as 2 different monkeys species, a few snakes, coatimundis, squirrels, and even a hard to find sloth.   Overall I was very satisfied with Issys Tours. They more than exceeded my expectations and provided a much higher quality of service than I had ever received before with other companies.  They also provided a  good balance between fun, relaxation and safety which was very important to me. The driver was very attentive and caring and Alex our guide constantly pointed out interesting things and took great pictures for us! I higly recommend this company to anyone who wants to have one of the best personalized and special tours possible. You can’t go wrong by entrusting  Issys Tours with all your adventure and transportation needs. It was a pleasure meeting Christian and his staff and we undoubtedly intend to return Costa Rica very soon and to go on more fabulous tours. Thanks guys for making us feel welcome and like part of your family. We truly are grateful for all  your hard work!

• Stayed June 2012
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

Traveled to this resort for an incentive trip I planned through work. The resort is the perfect size, no racing for chairs early in the morning. Waters were tourquoise with a beautiful beach. Food was AMAZING! Fresh catch of the day was the way to go when they offered it, you selected your fish and the chef would prepare as desired. Plenty of food at a reasonable price. We did ziplining, catamaran sail, golf, spa, jet skis, and in shore fishing. A great time was had by all. Staff was excellent and resort is top notch. Would reccomend this for families or those looking for a relaxing getaway!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

This is the second time my wife and I have gone to this Four Seasons - this time with our 15 and 21 year old in tow. This is a first class resort with great, friendly service and TONS to do on and off the property. The Marea Beach Club - which partrons of the Four Seasons have access to via a 5 minute free shuttle ride - is one of the most beautiful beach clubs we have ever seen with great food and service. Be sure to eat there for dinner on the porch at least one night - well worth it!! Great golf course - particulary for a tropical place - with reasonable rates after 12:30 each day when the winds actually pick up and it's very pleasant for the most part. Great time seeing monkeys all over the place as well as other wildlife. Go the the Congo Trail zip lines and you can actually hold the monkeys! Great fun and highly recommended for all ages or just mom and dad. Phenomenal sunsets on the beach to boot.

Room Tip: Don't pay for the higher priced rooms - the second floor rooms are great at the hotel and near e...
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

This was our second visit to this resort. As good as the first time.
The Guancaste Airport was rebuilt 2011 and is modern and staffed by several immigration lines. It took minutes.
I arranged to be picked up by Ecotranscostarica , after reading a Trip Advisor review. My driver was waiting for me and was professional.
The hotel staff is consistently excellent and well educated. They accommodate and find solutions. There are no problemas.
In the restaurants, your wish is their desire. Ask for sushi your way and it will be just that way. Don't see the steak that you want, just ask. Most servings are too large and can feed two and not one.
My favorite activities were napping in a hammock in the shade, sitting in the screened porch and reading, exercising and then relaxing in the spa, playing tennis before 10 or after 4 on beautiful clay courts, and the Tenorio rafting. The rafting was intense and about a 1 1/2 hour drive. I used ISSY Tours - another Trip Advisor recommendation and Diego and the trip was on time and as advertised. They do take credit cards as payment.
I learned from our last trip to avoid the long tour rides. It takes 30 minutes just to get off the peninsula. Witch Canopy zip lines is close by. Coco Beach is also close by if you want a local half day trip. Arrange this privately, the hotel trip is expensive and you miss out of the private guide experience.
Do not go to the Four Seasons to tour Costa Rica. Use the resort for what it does the best- comfort, relaxation in a luxurious setting.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Providence, RI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

Pura Vida! We had an amazing experience at The Four Seasons Papagayo this July. From start to finish, the incredible staff made sure our stay was a memorable one. My husband and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and The Four Seasons went above and beyond to make it as special as possible. We were greeted by a beautiful and delicious mini wedding cake and a complimentary bottle of Champagne. After a long trip, nothing is better than a surprise such as this. After the beautiful drive to the grounds, we were greeted with the warmest reception.

The beach is amazing and the beach/pool staff go out of their way to accommodate your every need. We were concerned about food quality as many people reviewed the food poorly. We found the food and service at Papagayo, Tico's and Congo's to be outstanding. We would advise sticking to the fish and anything local for the best experience. Dinner at Caracol is a must. We had an incredible meal and the ambiance at the restaurant was wonderful. Prices are expected at a Four Seasons Resort.

There are many activities to do at the resort. We advise The Tour of Giants, which is a guided tour through the golf course that offers the most spectacular views of the peninsula. As we are not golfers, it was a great way to see the course. We took advantage of the morning hike offered by the resort. It was a great way to explore the ecosystem around us. It is not uncommon to come across monkeys, tropical birds and giant iguanas along the way. Once we participated in the guided tour, we would partake in an independent morning hike in the morning to further explore our surroundings.

Sunset Sessions was a must. Live music was provided and it was so great to relax and have a beverage while watching one of the most amazing sunsets!
We did a coffee tasting at The Brit Cafe/Gift Shop which was insightful, especially for the avid coffee drinker.

As suggested by many other Four Seasons guests, we booked a tour to Ricon de Viejo through Tours Your Way. Rey, our tour guide provided us with much knowledge and history on the region. We did the ziplines, horseback and hot springs at Buena Vista. It was a blast!

Overall, our experience at The Four Seasons Papagayo was incredible! We were nervous about rainfall in July considering is is rainy season but the weather was great. It was 90 and sunny everyday. We are hoping to make our way back next summer!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,033 reviews

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!