2,190 results
All reviewsgolf coursecanopy suitecena socialesol y sombracielo roomcosta ricagolf clubscreened in porchplunge poolarnold palmercomplimentary activitieszip liningwitches rockocean sideice watercooking classcatch of the day
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We stayed for a week in early August. The service was excellent, even for Four Seasons standards. Staff was very friendly and caring. They remembered our names from the second day of a 7 day vacation. The pools were nice but very shallow. Great for kids but not great for grown ups. Room service and three of the eating choices - Papadegayo, the Tico bar and Congo's were average to worse than average. The other two restaurants - the Steak Restaurant and Del Mare - were excellent. Activities arranged by the very knowledgeable and fully staffed concierge desk (always 2 to 3 staff) included surfing lessons at Tamarindo Beach at a small local shop called Kelly's, Zip lining, and some great, scenic golf.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2012

May just be our favorite vacation EVER!! There was definitely a care and respect in the design of this resort to seamlessly fit in with the beauty of its environment. We stayed as part of a group trip that impressed, I believe, all 30+ couples and families involved.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cindy S
Reviewed 8 August 2012

This was my second trip to the Four Seasons Costa Rica and it was just as amazing as the first time. The standard guest rooms are beautiful with huge balcony's that all have ocean views. The food and service is fantastic.

Room Tip: It truly doesn't matter...they are all great.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank lady_di0809
FSCos, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2012

Dear Guest,

We are pleased that you enjoyed both of your stays at our property. We hope to be able to welcome you back many more times. Your feedback is very much appreciated.
Best regards.

Reviewed 8 August 2012

Fantastic - great! Staff was excellent and extremely accomodating. Food was great and views, bungalow incredible. Highly recommend to anyone and families will love it! Off sight zip lining was great - scheduled through resort. Spa was amazing, and my daughter loved room service.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2012

My husband and our two children just returned from a 13 day vacation at the Four Seasons. I was hesitant at first due to the cost involved. In the end, it was worth it.

I was grateful for all of the tips on Trip Advisor. It really helped me maximize my stay there. Here is my experience.

Arrival:
Departure tax. We were told to purchase this at the airport upon arrival to beat the lines when departing. I think it was $28/person. You can actually purchase this at the Four Seasons so no need to do this at the airport.

Transportation:
EcoTrans - $60 each way. They were clean, professional and kind. He stopped at a local grocery store for snacks (not needed) but wasn't sure given some of the comments I read on TripAdvisor (TA). The only thing they did not provide was a car seat for my 2 yr old. In the end, he loved not being strapped in. The cost is unbeatable. We also had to depart at 4 am. They were there with a smile even that early. You can choose to tip the driver given the average salary in CR is $20/day.

Room:
I read all sorts of reviews about the rooms actually thinking I could request a particular one prior to arrival. It's really hard to describe how it is set up. You will see once you get there. We were in a canopy suite and then upgraded to Canopy Suite with plunge pool room 711 (due to AMEX card). All I can say is it was amazing. We were concerned about our two year old but other than a couple of bumps he was fine. My nine year old was in the pool every morn by 6:30 am. My husband and I loved it at night once the kids were down. It is extremely romantic. You can also have breakfast, lunch or dinner served on your terrace. It helped with my 2 yr olds early morning wake up. We would call in breakfast room service the night before. By 6:15 am (or whatever time you choose) the breakfast was set up on the terrace ready for two hungry children. Upon return from our trip, he was upset breakfast wasn't made quick enough for him at home (too bad the 4 seasons isn't here to serve him). Also, kids under 4 or 5 yrs of age eat for free. We were unaware of that. You can order anything at anytime for them. Just be sure to specify the age of the child and check your receipt.

Washer/Dryer are provided on the premises near the rooms. I did not know that either. They have complimentary detergent, etc. So no need to overpack.

Any canopy suite or above is located further from pools, restaurants. Golf carts come to pick you up, etc. They were efficient. Once in a while we walked (no big deal).

Because we extended our time there, we had to stay one night in a regular room. I think 2304. Anyway, it was nice as well. It has an enclosed balcony with seating area. I wouldn't of thought I was missing out on anything if I had not just been in the canopy suite with plunge pool.

OK - i could write all night on this place. I will be brief on the rest of it.

Pools - great.

Beach club - closed on Mondays. Gotta visit this place. They will drive you there. You can charge anything there to your room. The waves are better for boogie boarding, etc. The pools are amazing. They even have a small kids pool, lap pool, hot tub, etc. Take cash. There is a guy named Soloman there selling handmade jewelry. You can find the same at Playa del Coco but he was nice and again they live on $20/day if they have a stable job.

The Beach Club restaurant at night was good. Pretty pricey. Service unbelievable. You can ask for anything. They will try to oblige. Easy to get spoiled.

Playa Nacascolo - OK this beach is PERFECT for young children. If you have kids 5 and under go early in your trip. It is like a bathtub. It is probably 2 feet deep for forever. My son had fish swimming around him and he didn't even have to put his face in the water. It was my favorite place. Great for snorkeling. No waves and very quiet. A car has to drive you there. Take water and towels from the resort. There is no service there. Get there early when tide is high. Absolutely amazing. Be wary of the pisotes (raccoon family). They will actually dig in your bag and take your food. Same at the hotel. Don't leave food on the terrace or unattended. They will take it.

Spa - Ask for Randall. I saw his name on TA and requested him for two treatments. I wanted to bring him home with me. He's been there 8 years and is wonderful. Expensive but a nice treat. Oh if you want to see an incredible sunset reserve your treatment so that you are wrapping up when the sun is setting. You can take a dip in the woman's plunge pool (open to all guests). The view from that spot is unbelievable. That area is for 16 yrs and above. It is usually empty because everyone is on sunset beach.

Food - is fine. I was concerned given all the reviews. It can get tiring after a while but it was fine. Breakfast buffett was great. Lots of selection.

Beach - hotel is flanked by two beaches. One is sunset beach the other is for activities (forgot the name). Anyway, you can borrow paddle boards, kayaks, hobie cats, snorkle gear (which you can then take to Playa Nacascolo), life vests, etc. They were very helpful.

Other services - we rented a boat for 1/2 day. The hotel discourages outside vendors. We paid around $350 cash for 1/2 day. One of these days, we went to secluded beach and walked thru caves, etc. When snorkeling the guide went under and brough up a puffer fish, small octopus and a star fish. We all held them. Take an underwater camera. The photos are priceless. My husband fished a bit. They will custome tailor the trip. On another trip, he and my daughter fished. They caught Mahi Mahi, black tuna and almost caught a sailfish. They brought one back to the hotel and the chef prepared it to our liking. Very cool for her to see.

Excursion - we zip lined (through hotel) expensive but not many other options other than renting a car and going elsewhere.

After a few days, I wanted to see another part of CR other than 4 seasons. I was sure not much of the country lived like that. I didn't want to pay the expense of a private guide. I couldn't take my entire family b/c two year old wouldn't last to the far away excursions. The concierage helped me with securing a National Rental Car with a driver. It was much cheaper than the other options. The car and driver was about $200 for 24 hrs. I can speak Spanish so basically we drove all over the Guanacaste area. Luis, my driver, was very nice. We were gone the entire day and I visited tons of small towns, beaches - Playa conchal, playa tamarindo (known for surfing), playa del coco (very touristy and water taxi can take you there from hotel for a fee), playa panama (beautiful volcanic sand and empty), etc. Anyway, it was cool to show my daughter how the real world lives.

Kids Club at Hotel - Great for 3- 6 yr olds. My 9 yr old daughter got bored. Amazing for little ones. Any guest can take their young ones there to play or drop off. They have all the toys they could ever want. My son loved the pool. They will not take 2 yr olds but worth the visit to distract them.

Other activities worth trying out - sunset kayak, kayak around monkey head, sky lantern (only offered once/wk so register upon arrival), nature hike, etc. Enjoyed all of these. Some have a fee. I also did the yoga. She was good.

No need to bring repellant - they will provide it. They also have sunscreen but always good to have yours. They offer bottled water in the room and everywhere else you go. No need to use the refillable plastic bottle (provide for a fee) in the room.

So, my husband's bday was during our trip. I mentioned it to the staff. Jessica Perez went out of her way to help make it memorable. She had her laptop delivered to my suite and asked me to download a family pic. She then had a banner made with our family pic, pics of hotel and bday wishes for my husband. She had balloons in the room and a small chocolate cake (his favorite). She epitomizes above and beyond. All of this at no addtl cost to us. I was impressed.

I could share more. I hope the info helps others as earlier posts helped me prepare and thoroughly enjoy this amazing memory we created.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family