“They do everything right!”

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed 13 February 2014

What a contrast to the other hotel we stayed at in Papagayo, the Hilton!
The Hilton was so bad we left! the Four Seasons was a breath of fresh air!
Out rooms were great with an ocean view. Everything I tastefully done. the buildings are spread around and set in the landscape. the beaches are beautiful, one on the bay side and one on the ocean side. The pools are spectacular! There was one for everyone, another on a different level and finally a third more quiet one on an additional level facing the ocean beach. The restaurants were all good, You never felt as if there were a lot of people there because everything was spread out. The tennis courts were beautiful. We did a sunset kayak and it was wonderful! Had dinner at the steakhouse at the golf club and the building, food, and view were great. I loved that you did not have to get dressed up for dinner anywhere. You could relax and just enjoy this beautiful property. We took a half day boat tour with Wilbur and Mario and saw the mangroves, lost of wildlife, did snorkeling and went to several private beaches. All in all fantastic experience. It is well worth the money! I great way to end out rip!

Room Tip: Our room was a brissas suite and it was fantastic!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
FSCOSPFGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Neannie, so glad to read your review and very happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us. It seems that you took advantage of many of our free daily activities, next time I suggest miniature golf, a good bike ride on the Peninsula and snorkeling around the bay. Let us know when you are ready for your next relaxing vacation in paradise, we are waiting for you. Pura Vida, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,978)

Reviewed 12 February 2014

My wife and I were tired of the relentless cold weather in the states this year so on a whim we decided to go south for some warm weather. We booked a room at the Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica and were very happy with the weather, property and abundant nature. We were upgraded to a better room upon arrival and enjoyed many of the activities offered at the property. We would highly recommend the Chef's Table dinner at the Di Mare Restaurant. We were seated in the kitchen and were able to watch the whole process of meals being prepared for the diners. The golf course is beautiful with an abundance of wildlife that kept the round interesting.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on the second floor or above, offer better view of the water.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Ben O, We are very happy to know that your trip to Costa Rica was a last minute decision – and even more excited you choose our Four Seasons. The cold weather, snow and ice are certainly not fun when last this long … much better down here. So glad it was a perfect stay and with more snow waves ahead, we will be waiting for your next trip. Pura Vida, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

we are staying at the resort now and I have been looking for the managers email to complain but cannot find it anywhere.
The restaurants available are terrible. This week there is some lawyer convention and they have closed some of the restaurants for private parties. This means that the other guests only have 1 or 2 places to eat.
Last night my wife and I tried to go to the Italian restaurant but were turned away. The Brazilian restaurant was closed for a private party. so the only choice we had was the lobby sushi restaurant (we have already eaten there) or the breakfast place with poor choice.

After I went to the front desk to complain, we were given a table at the steak restaurant (my wife is vegetarian and I don't eat beef so clearly this is not an ideal choice for us). the food was terrible. the angel hair pasta was congealed and over cooked.

it seems that the hotel favours their convention guests and cant be bothered with other guests.

I don't usually complain and I don't like to make a scene but this is too much.

The Patels

Room Tip: If you want good food don't go here! Avoid hotel if there is a convention ongoing
4  Thank Ppatel1234567

Dear Mr. Patel, It was a pleasure for our Director of Food and Beverage and myself to meet with you and your wife and we appreciate all of your comments. Very happy that we were able to turn the experience around and that you left the four Seasons with a smile. Feedback is so important and we certainly are thankful you took the time to share it with us. Until the next time in paradise, Pura Vida, Pascal.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

My wife and I typically don't like going to the same place twice, with Four Seasons CR we made an exception.

It is Unbelievable.... and we would go back again.

I liken it to Hawaii...without the 8 hour plane flight. Jungles, pacific ocean, mountains, volcanoes, rivers, & great golf.

We have stayed in the Villas and in the hotel. While the Villa was incredible, it is not easy to get back and forth to the main area. You have to call the desk anytime that you need to get somewhere. However, if you are looking for a quiet place to escape, Villa it is.

Golf - I'm not a big golfer, but this course is a must see. Make sure that your memory card on your camera is empty... you will take a lot of pictures. Between howler monkeys in the trees, and iguana's on the fairway, and picturesque views in every direction, you will be clicking a lot! Lots of elevation change on the front 9.

Beaches - There are two beaches on either side of the peninsula. One is black sand and gets quite hot. Plenty of sports and/or solitude on either side. Service on the beach is first rate.

Fishing - If you are even slightly into fishing, a deep sea trip is worth it. Costa Rica fishing is hard to beat. Make sure that you check dates for sailfish before you go.

Dining - Our favorite place was the steakhouse at the clubhouse, but every place was good. Only complaint was $7 cokes are a bit outlandish. Fantastic food all around.

Running - Enjoy the first hill out of there. It is a bear! But great views all around...and make sure that you do the nature walk. It is incredible. Do not let the howler monkeys scare you.

Service - You cannot beat the service here. Shout out to Kenner in dining who made a special effort to know everyone's names.

We also enjoyed white water rafting on Tenorio River & Witches Rock zip line.

Easy to get to from Liberia... about 45 mins away. Enjoy!

Room Tip: If you are active, chose hotel over villa.
2  Thank GranburyDad_12
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This was our first stay at the Four Season's in Costa Rica, and it was amazing. True to the Four Season's we've been to, service and staff is the best available.

We stayed one night in one of the plunge pool canopy suites, which was nice, but I wanted a view of the sunset. I paid for an upgrade to one of the high-end hilltop villas, Casa la Luna, which was the most amazing suite in all of the resorts I have been to (I have been to Bora Bora multiple times, which have incredible suites as well).

Casa la Luna is perched high above the Pacific, with a commanding view of the western sunset and northwest, with the surf below. The villa has one huge master bedroom, and on a lower level two additional bedrooms. Each level has a deck, outdoor shower and separate living room.

The villa is almost too big - what a great concern to have. I especially like the separated levels with the master bedroom on top level, and guest bedrooms on lower level, which makes this a perfect option for families, couples, or high-end clientele with an entourage (handlers, security, travel partners, etc.).

The villa is available at the end of the brick road (accessible by the resort golf carts) and is gated with a code or card access. This is a very private villa, and perfect for high-end clientele.

Arriving at the villa, there is a entry portal and to the right are the bedroom suites, and to the left is a huge living room, dining area (seats 10), a kitchen, guest bathroom, laundry room and separate entry for service. The entire entry portal and living room/dining room is floor to ceiling wrap-around windows and huge sliding glass doors.

Walking out onto the deck area, there is a large pool with hot-tub and separate hammock lounge area. Just off the dining room is a outdoor deck dining area, and lots of lounge chairs for sun tanning.

On the corner of the villa near the pool, there is a outdoor bathroom. There is also a outdoor grill located near the pool, which we used twice for a dinner and lunch. Just call room service for groceries. You can also order your own chef if you wish.

The kitchen is complete with high-end Viking gas burners, a ice machine, wine cooler and large refrigerator. There is a complete bottle bar with the essentials (liquor, wine, champagne) which is a la carte (pay extra of the bottles). Don't see what you want ? Just call room service and they'll bring bottles, mixers, coconuts, ice, etc. We found that the sound system was difficult to operate, and the ice machine didn't seem to work well (just have room service fill up the large ice machine with ice - simple enough). The pool and hot tube controller are located on the wall near the kitchen with a remote for the hot tub on the hot tub top side. They are slow to heat and there are no pool lights.

One thing that would make Casa la Luna perfect, would be a outdoor fire pit and lantern candles on the deck (even solar lanterns would be a nice touch).

Stargazing is amazing from Casa la Luna - the night sky is very dark and you'll be able to see falling stars, constellations and the Milky Way. We really wanted a telescope (they do offer stargazing on the resort every night I believe - check resort activities).

For our stay, we did most of our breakfast meals down at the resort which has a chef to make omelets and other made-to-order entrees. We didn't get a chance to sample all the restaurants, but sushi at Tico and the Brazilian style grilled beef was very good. There was also a made-to-order Ceviche station, which was excellent.

We spent a late afternoon at the beach, but loved our Casa la Luna so much, ended up there most of the time.

You can see a sunset only from the top of the hill, so if you want to take photos of the beautiful sunsets, you need to get a golf cart ride to the top and walk down, or stay in one of the villas.

The weekend we were there (last weekend in January 2014) was busy, but not overly crowded. We didn't have to wait for any service.

While the girls did a massage (the spa is excellent), I chose a tennis lesson out at the gold and tennis facilities. I have to admit, I've never been so pampered. I had a lesson and got a chance to play with one of the instructors, who was an expert (you can always learn something from every instructor). For each break, a cool towel was provided, and they had two staff which would actually pick up the balls. That's a first at any Four Season resort ! Made me feel like a pro, and allowed me to actually focus more on learning.

The facilities at the resort were spotless. The entire staff was very friendly and was genuinely concerned of your happiness with the resort and services.

Since the villas and suites are located some distance from the main resort and bars/restaurants, I recommend calling for a golf cart ride if you don't want to walk. The service is included and very prompt.

A 10 percent tipping charge is included with all services (15 percent for room service) and you are welcome to tip additional to that if desired.

Weather is hot, but not humid. Dress accordingly.

Two nights a week, the resort allows local artisans to display and sell their craft, which was a very nice touch. I ended up buying a bunch of hand-crafted wooden puzzles using local sustainable hardwoods, that were less expensive than even at the airport, and at a fraction of the price of similar items online. I highly recommend that you support these local artists if you see something you like. You can pay directly to the artisan, or charge to your room for a 5 percent fee.

The prices are typical Four Season's. I'm surprised anyone actually mentions prices in these review, since Four Season's is the best, without question. As far as value for money, you can't get any better (service, view, location, adventures, quality of food, cleanliness, etc.).

Overall, I'd recommend splurging on one of the more private, luxurious villas they have to offer. The Casa la Luna was simply amazing, beautiful and with an incredible view. If you want privacy, a pool, service and a once-in-a-lifetime experience, book one of these villas. After experiencing it once, I want it again.

Congratulations Four Season's Costa Rica, you have outdone yourself once again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a villa. Have some fun with a outdoor BBQ with your own grill - just order groceries via...
3  Thank Pepe G
FSCOSPFGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Guest, we are so excited to read your review and happy to know that you had such a memorable stay. Thank you for sharing it with the travel community on Trip Advisor. We are extremely proud of our estate homes, very special and beautifully appointed - on tip of the Peninsula. We are celebrating our 10th anniversary this year and we will have wonderful reasons to come back in 2014, and spend more time with us. Pura Vida, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Four Seasons has figured out a way to provide 5 star lush accommodations while still keeping the natural beauty of the area intact. We stayed in a villa for a week, it was sheer heaven. The staff is so welcoming, warm, and well trained. The Costa Rican people are lovely and accommodating.

The rooms were gorgeous, the views were the best, the food was lavish, and the grounds were authentic, right down to the monkeys in the trees, fire flies, iguana, beautiful birds.

You can pick your fish for dinner right off the fisherman's boat each morning. It will be prepared any way you select. Many restaurants on the ground to choose from. All are wonderful.

Fun adventures are just a short distance away from the hotel grounds. The hotel provides lots of ocean toys, including their catamaran's and kayaks. We went zip lining through the jungle canopy, over 1600 feet above the jungle floor! It was the time of our lives! We also rented jet skis to explore the untouched shell laden beaches not far from the property.

Room Tip: Four Seasons always offer the third night free. This works well at a resort like this. The villas...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Laura J

Dear Laura, that is what we call - living in paradise! You get pampered by our well trained staff, while being surrounded by amazing nature and gorgeous views. Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Best regards, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Just came back from celebrating my 50th birthday and it was great. Property and staff first class. Stayed in a 1 bedroom suite with a great view of the bay; Room was great. Food was good. I tend to like very spicy dishes so I won't them for this. Would go back after I explore another part of Costa Rica.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, congratulations again! We are so glad you had a good time and were able to celebrate this important birthday with us. AND come back soon - we are looking forward to it! Pura Vida, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulf of Papagayo
3 mi away
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!