“Ideal Family Spring Break”

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Our family spent a week at the Four Seasons in Costa Rica. I cannot say enough wonderful things about our stay. The resort itself is beautiful, and has every amenity you could possibly desire. The rooms are lovely, there are plenty of restaurants so you do not get tired of going to the same place, the beaches are beautiful and well-maintained and the level of service is as high as I have ever seen.

The high quality of service offered at the Four Seasons cannot be over emphasized. It started with our arrival. Saturday was a very busy day. In order to avoid asking guests to wait in long lines, each family was met individually by a Four Seasons employee, introduced to the resort and then escorted to our rooms. The formal check-in was postponed until later when it could be done more efficiently. Service in the restaurants was flexible and patient, especially given the many requests from our children. The staff was especially superlative when the conditions were a bit more difficult -- for example when the pool is very crowded and there are not enough chairs or enough shade.

My family had a wonderful time in Costa Rica. We are already planning a return visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pool with a view of the Pacific.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
FSCos, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Amy,
Wonderful to read your review and so glad to know that you and your family are already thinking on planning a return trip. You are very generous with your compliments and my team was proud to pamper your during your stay in Costa Rica.
Hasta pronto - Pura Vida,
Pascal Forotti
General Manager.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

First, my 16 year old son and I had a blast in Costa Rica, and the Four Seasons resort is a beautiful, magnificent escape with extremely nice staff. But, when you are paying about $1,400/night for the standard room (about 3x the price of some other 5 start resorts in Costa Rica) the problems and shortfalls become very noticeable.

1. Property (5 star)
Pros: Beautiful natural setting on a peninsula surrounded by water. Physcial facilities are top notch, well-designed, and maintained with perfection. Room was very nice and well set up with perfect views. Golf course is outstanding with picturesque views (greens a bit slow). Tennis facilities also very nice with har-tru and one grass court.

Cons: it is very far (45 minutes to 3 hours away from outside activities), so plan to do pretty much everything there. The fitness facility is in 3 rooms on two floors (cardio and free weights, machines, studio), so I found myself running from room to room and going on different floors.

2. Staff (4 star)
Pros: So friendly. They so much want to help. They remember your name. They work hard to make things happen for you, so just ask. Concierge services were superb. Fitness instructor Kelly was 5 star. General Manager was so friendly and responsive (but he has his work cut out for him given some major shortfalls). Room cleaners were excellent.

Cons: Staff has some issues with language...often get orders wrong, don't bring things requested, get bookings incorrect, etc. mostly due to not fully understanding/speaking English. (Our ordering in the restaurant reminds me of the Monty Python Holy Grail scene where the king tells the guards not to let the prince leave the room--search on you tube for 'Holy Grail Guards Scene'). They have too few staff when at peak times. Due to staff shortage, everything is booked up that requires staff--surfing lessons, tennis lessons, educational events, etc.

3. Activities (3 star)

Pros: Great offering for families (but book way ahead as they book up and do not have enough staff to fulfill the request...and there is nowhere else to go that is close). Surfing great but way overpriced ($600/hour for an instructor--$4x $150--as much as most NYC lawyers). Tennis great but only one pro--no slots left, but take the clinic--it is a deal at $30. Golf amazing course, but can't walk it--too far between holes and very, very steep cart paths. Take the Chocolate making course--very educational, but also need to book way in advance.
Cons: Again, not enough staff and EVERYTHING books up, which means you are left sitting by the beach or pool. Also, they go very far out of their way to discourage anyone from hiring the private third party boats on the beach (the beaches are public) or wave runners, etc. Why not just have their own wave runners for guests to rent at a fair price?!?! By the way, I recommend renting the wave runners--fun!! Also, there are absolutely NO events for adults in the evenings. They have a giant property with amazing facilities...why not bring in a DJ and let parents have some fun too on their vacation--dancing and socializing while their kids are either sleeping or with other kids. Instead you are finished after dinner and just go back to your room to watch a $15 movie. They have a beautiful indoor/outdoor pavilion they could set up a bar and bring in a band or DJ. It could be done 3x/week...so easy.

4. Restaurants (2 star)
Pros: friendly staff and the guacamole and chips.
Cons: There are 4, none to which you would return if they were independent restaurants. While staff is friendly, they almost got no orders right (likely language). It is hard to find any food that you would go back for...even at the buffets--poorly flavored, inconsistent, and not properly cooked. Even the burgers they couldn't get to the done-ness requested. I would have put that they have 4 restaurants in the Pros, but when I looked at the menus, 3 of them have 90% of the same menu items--probably share the same kitchen.

All told, I would still go back if it were priced at $400-500/night and then I would book everything in advance (book multiple activities and cancel what you don't want--low chance of booking what you want later). But the extra $1,000 premium per night requires a MUCH higher level than what was delivered. On the food, no matter the price, Four Seasons must do a executive chef makeover here...as there are no other places off the property close enough to eat, and the food is a giant miss.

9  Thank MrFordCT
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Four Seasons is always a favorite. As you saying goes, you get what you pay for. You sure do pay for it at the Four Seasons, but they understand this and deliver the best of everything.
Our travel company had indicated that we had an early check-in, so we arrived early to find that was not the case. They quickly worked to get our two rooms ready while had lunch at the Papagayo restaurant. They had our gluten-free requirement in their system and were quick to give us the correct menus (with lots of options). We had dinner here too during our four day visit and were very happy with all of our meals.
After a long day of travel (our first four days were in the Rainforest), I was disappointed when we arrived in our rooms to find the traditional churros (that were not gluten free). Fred, our customer service person, was apologetic and and sent us some fresh fruit instead. Honestly, I was having a bad day and he handled my poor attitude with care and even checked up on our satisfaction a couple of days later.
Our daughters had an awesome view (first floor, 4101). We paid more for a second floor room (4209) for ourselves and although is was pretty, it was not worth the extra $$. There is a complimentary laundry room in each building and on each level, absolutely genius. It was so nice to have clean clothes, especially with all of the sweating.
So many activities to choose from that were included. We chose: Cooking class (Tomato Risotto), Sundown Kayaking, Giants Golf Cart Tour (so many monkeys), Morning Nature Hike (Ivan found the most beautiful birds and was extremely knowledgable) and Stargazing. I love when a place combines fun with education, so nice. The fitness area was very useful and covered two floors. There is also nice hiking where you will often see lots of monkeys (700 stair hike, watch the directions closely, it is easy to get lost). The pools were lots of fun with inflatables and toys. Ask prices first. We ordered a fun looking drink and after the fact found out it was $17, our bad, could have ordered a nice lunch salad for that much and enjoyed it much more. The beach, so great, enough said, they continually spoil you.
The breakfast buffet was too good and I think I owe an extra pound or two of my visit to this alone. They had lots of gluten-free options and even made my daughter pancakes a couple of days. I bring my own almond milk, but they did have rice milk if requested.
I had a 90 min Bamboo Massage at the spa. Very relaxing and worth the $$.
Our final night was dinner at Di Mare. The servicer (Walter) was incredible and they brought yummy gluten free bread to start and made necessary accommodations where they could (yes, gluten free pasta, pizza and brownies). This was the perfect choice for our last night.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank kenapastore
FSCOSPFGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Guest, I am glad you had a great experience with us, and furthermore, that your dietary needs were fulfilled to your satisfaction. We are very proud of our chefs, who are always looking for ways to satisfy all of our guests' tastes and needs. Thank you for your feedback and Pura Vida! Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

In a nut shell:
The resort is beautiful.
The service is outstanding.
Very friendly staff - everyone.
Terrific cabanas.
The suite was great.
The food is okay, but we had unexceptional meals at Di Mare and Carocol.
The beaches at the hotel are a little dull. No waves at all, and not crystal clear. The "activities" beach is quite rocky.
This one really gets me: the pools are only 3 feet deep. All of them. I just don't get that.
It's really really expensive, and yes, that is to be expected, but with the food, beach and pool issues mentioned above, it's just not quite worth it. That amount of money can buy a stay at a place with phenomenal beaches, pools and food.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Catman,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your stay with us. I appreciate your positive comments about our service, the luxury cabanas and suites. I am sorry your culinary, beach and pool experiences were not everything you would have hoped for. We certainly want all of our guests to have exceptional experiences at our restaurants, beaches and pools and I will share your comments with our team so we can improve. Thank you again and pura vida,

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Took my wife and 4 kids, age ranging from 8 -16. We had the most amazing vacation, expensive but worth it.
Live animals all over the place; Howler Monkeys swinging in trees (as well as a few white face monkeys) , Iguanas deer foraging everywhere and birds of all kinds.
Each and every staff member on that property is so friendly and nice that we thought we were on another planet.
The food and drink is fresh and tasty beyond what I imagined and can be had in each of the numerous outlets including eating by the pool, bar and patios.
They play live music in the evening. Great music on the beaches and pool.
We took a boat trip from the beach and would up swimming with a whale shark. Not kidding. Most amazing experience of the trip.
Great fishing. Every time we dropped our hook and line into the water it came up with fish within seconds.
They also have an amazing spa with all sorts of cool massages and a wonderful golf course.( I don't play but it sure is beautiful).
I will return there one of these days with the whole family in tow!

Room Tip: We stayed in a 3 bedroom unit waking distance to the main hotel. It worked out fine for us. Teens sh...
1  Thank Emersong1

Dear Emersong, it is very gratifying to know that you and your family were able to enjoy your stay with us to that extent. I can imagine how exciting it could have been to have a whale shark that close! I certainly hope you will have some more Pura Vida experiences next time you visit. Regards, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We just returned from a glorious week in a 1 bedroom suite with plunge pool at the Four Seasons Papagayo. The suite, tucked up on a hillside accessible by golf cart, was perfectly appointed, complete with an alcove with a pull out coach which comfortably accommodated our 15 year old. The views were amazing with howler monkeys every morning and even a visit from a vulture sunning himself on our patio.The main areas with regular rooms and the dining facilities are a little tight centered around two pools and two OK beaches. The excursions offered made our trip: do not miss Land of the Senses, a hike into a rainforest. It is worth the drive. Also, by ALL means do a sunset cruise. We sailed with whales and dolphin playing just off the stern and saw the most magnificent sunset
ever. The workout facility has all the machines and a lovely set up, though the recumbent bikes were a little dated. They do yoga and spinning classes too which is nice.

The only drawback is the limited dining options. The italian place was busy and the food just OK. The main dining room was efficient at breakfast and actually had the best food at dinner... mostly local cuisine. Caracol, the steak place located at the golf center, was very good and eating while stargazing was an extra bonus. Try Marasol (sp?) which is on the grounds of the expansive resort, but not really part of the hotel. Fabulous seafood!

Lastly, the staff, to a person, was helpful and pleasant. Greddy, a server at Papagayo, took the time to ask our names and greeted us happily, by name, every day.

This is truly a Four Seasons in every sense!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Frequent Traveling Mom
FSCOSPFGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Frequent Traveling Mom, I am happy to know that you enjoyed your time with us and that you saw so much wonderful wildlife as well as one of our spectacular Costa Rican sunsets. I am going to make sure Greddy knows about your comments so he continues his great work! Sorry that the cuisine at Di Mare was not as memorable as we might have hoped, but glad to hear you enjoyed Caracol, Papagayo and Marea at the Prieta Beach Club nearby. We hope you are able to visit us again in the future, so you can taste a little bit more of this Pura Vida life!

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Just got back from 5 days in the Arenal area and 5 days at Four Seasons Papagayo. Loved that we saw different area of the country so different from the Papagayo peninsula and that we were so active first half that we could be lazier the second half. Four Seasons was fantastic. The hotel was beautiful and service spectacular. Yes you pay for what you are getting but it is worth it. Ask fo ranything and it appears. Plus all the little gratuitous niceties they bring you to beach and pool were welcome (sushi, popsicles, local drinks, mozzarella and tomato on skewers, ice water frequently) and, yes, they came and cleaned my sunglasses... Our kids ages 14 and almost 12 loved the teen center (skewed a bit young the week we were there spring break) and played basketball as well as billiards, made smores, etc. Pool and beaches were gorgeous and it was actually easier to get seats at beaches than pools, but even at pools there were always seats no matter what time of day (just not necessarily 4 together at the height of the day, but pretty hot so kids in pool entire time anyway). Snorkeling half day trip was great though small jellyfish at first place we stopped to snorkel - but manageable. Restaurants were good - we especially liked Di Mare, Marea and Caracol but those were the expensive ones. Tico's sushi and bocas were good for more casual fare when you didnt need a big dinner. Congo's wa sjust ok and we didnt do Papagayo for dinner because had breakfast there each day so seemed like a breakfast place. We had breakfast included with our rate and that was a really nice addition because buffet was really nice. Kids loved the made to order crepes and omelets, smoothies, etc. So all in all, spectacular service, beautiful pool/beach area, the screened terrace overlooking ocean from high floor had breathtaking view and comfortable furniture. We loved it and would love to go again!

1  Thank beverlyotoole

Dear bot123,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful and detailed review. We are happy to know that you and your family loved your stay at our property, and hope you will stay with us again. We work hard to offer new, exciting and fun things to surprise our guests as well as providing the great service you noted. I will certainly pass on your positive comments to our pool and beach and culinary teams. Pura vida!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulf of Papagayo
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal - An All-Inclusive Resort

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!