“Loved the Four Seasons! Beautiful Accessible room!”

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed 14 January 2009

This review is 3 years overdo but better late than never! My fiancee and I stayed at the Four Seasons for 4 days and 3 nights and absolutely fell in love with the property. We consider ourselves seasoned travelers and have been to many exclusive hotels in Europe and the US. Out of all my travels, the Four Seasons has been by far my favorite. Perhaps I am a bit biased since I was born in the states but raised in Costa Rica. The country is beautiful, friendly people, and has a stable government so as a tourist I feel safe to travel.

Four Seasons:

Located on a private peninsula, the hotel is tucked away..I mean really secluded. You have to drive deep to get to the main gates, and then once you pass the security gates, there is still at least 2 miles to get to the lobby. You drive by the golf courses before reaching the lobby area, the area is lined with tall palm trees and spectacular views of the coast. I was so taken back by the absolute beauty of the Papagayo Peninsula, it truly was a sight to see! Once we reached the lobby, we were warmly greeted with a cold towel and a refreshing drink. Check in was a breeze and the lobby is beautiful, its open air feeling incorporates the beauty of nature with light colored marble throughout.

Our room was on the second floor and although the elevators were tight (as my fiancee in his chair, myself and the bellhop could not fit in there all at once). But a minor inconvenience really because the room was beautiful.My fiancee being in a wheelchair, requested a handicap accessible room and it was huge! As you enter the room, the vanity/bathroom area is to your left while two beautiful rich mahogany closet doors are to your right. Walk further and you will reach the bedroom area with the mini-bar to your right near the flat screen TV. One of the nicest features of the room are these beautiful mahogany doors that fold into the wall to create an open feeling, as if the room wasn't big enough. There is a large patio area with a table/chairs and a spacious lounger, if you open the doors all the way the breeze is so nice and you really feel at one with nature hearing the monkeys and the sound of the ocean. Sadly, our patio view was obstructed by a tree so we didn't get a full view of the ocean but it added to the privacy and richness of nature. We got a kick out of hearing the monkeys while sitting outside but do watch out for the bugs, you share the space with nature remember..

Bed:

King sized and so comfy, sheets were awesome. We are bed snobs and are accustomed to sleeping in 1500 count at home but were not disappointed by the choice of mattress or linens!

Pool:
Nice, nothing spectacular but very nice and clean of course. Pool seating was comfortable as we hate seats with little cushion, and jacuzzi was a nice feature with a waterfall and the staff did not bother us while using it late at night..very private and romantic!

Food:

Expensive..oh my! But expected, come on its the Four Seasons! Food was very good to excellent, we were not blown away but then again we are very meticulous about our culinary choices so we are hard to please. But you will not be disappointed with the food options, just be ready to fork out a pretty penny! The selection is good,they had traditional dishes like Gallo Pinto or Huevos Rancheros or more US type options...overall pleased with the food. Drinks were actually delicious, I was pregnant at the time but all my virgin drinks tasted fresh and perfect! Fiancee disappointed they did not carry McClellan 21 but can't win them all!

Overall Accessibility:

Fairly good for wheelchairs, there are elevators but like I said they aren't huge like Vegas but even for a motorized chair you can make it work. Our room was completely accessible with a separate toilet area, luxury shower will pull down seat and nozzles, tub with hand rails and vanity at proper height.We have a manual chair and my fiancee can transfer his own weight fairly easy from chair to car but he weight lifts so if you don't have the arm strength perhaps you might enlist the help of the staff as they always seem eager to assist us with anything we needed. Please take into consideration that the path to the beach is slightly sloped and not accessible at all so we could not go down to the beach. I am not sure if the hotel has a Beach Wheelchair but we didn't ask since we couldn't go down anyway. Costa Rica takes great pride in preserving their natural beauty so there are certain easements set by the government, ie there cannot be a concrete structure (path in this case) going up to the beach as it impedes on the natural surface. I am unsure the exact amount of distance alloted by the law but nothing that is close to the beach. I myself only saw a view of the beach from our patio, but if you want turquoise water go to the caribbean (sorry I hate when travelers say they are disappointed with the water color)..its a different body of water! The sounds of the rain forest and the waves crashing cant be beat!

Conclusion:

Costa Rica is an eco-tourism paradise! The country is about the size of West Virginia (US) so don't expect to get from the central valley to the either coast in less than a 3 hour ride. Stay away from San Jose, too much crime and overcrowded.. Visit Volcan Arenal, beautiful sight! Visit the Hot springs by the volcanos, very cool and I don't know if this still is allowed but when I was a child we would pull our car on the side of the road near the volcano and climb down to soak in the hot springs..but ask a local just in case. Do the rain forest zipline, I have understood they have one for wheelchairs but did not get a chance to try it out...shame..
Overall I would recommend traveling to Costa Rica if you enjoy nature a vacation with adventure, if you prefer lounging by the beach maybe try the caribbean instead..its beautiful as well! I would recommend the Four Seasons for a luxury retreat, and taking in the sights and sounds of nature while being treated like royalty!
Please fell free to email me if you have any questions about the hotel or handicap accessibility.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KPNJ
Write a ReviewReviews (2,017)

Reviewed 12 January 2009

Absolutely beautiful property. Spacious rooms with a large lanai. The food is very expensive but the service is top notch. There is a beach club in the Peninsula that has more reasonable food and drinks but that is the only other choice. The pool(s) are beautiful and the beach is ok.

Take the golf tour even if you do not play. The views are amazing and it is free. You will see lots of wildlife and not be disappointed. The tours through the concierge are nice but beware many involve long travel times.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 January 2009

We loved staying at the 4 Seasons property in Guanacaste. It is very remote and it secluded. At the time it was the only hotel on that peninsula which was very nice. The rooms were very clean and tidy. I did find that it was a bit too secluded at times. There isn't transportation to town, unless you rent a car which is not recommended due to the unmarked roads, or book a tour. The tours booked by the hotel were quite expensive, so we opted for Avispa Adventures tour group which was a bit more reasonable and we were very pleased with their services. They also offered more tours to more key locations such as to Monteverde to experience the best zip line tours in Costa Rica which is a must see and do and Arenal Volcano and Baldi Hot Springs. The spa is absolutely fabulous at the 4 seasons. The coffee scrub and coffee mud wrap followed by a massage were to die for! The spa also offered a separate women's steam room and wonderful outdoor hot tub overlooking the beach which was very private and fabulous just for women. I would highly recommend the four seasons hotel!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 December 2008

We stayed here for 6 days on our honeymoon in Oct 08. I have travelled a fair bit around the world and stayed in some amazing hotels, and I think this was the finest hotel/resort I have ever seen. The service was outstanding. We were in a canopy suite with a private plunge pool with a beautiful view of the bay, about 1200 sq ft. It was like a luxury treehouse - awesome. We used our private pool all the time and didn't even go into the resort pools! We ordered room service on our patio and living room much of the time and it was always excellent. Great activities (no extra charge) included cooking classes, salsa lessons, bird watching, etc. Golf course and the head pro were both great. Private transportation from the airport (Liberia) was very nice and only about 45 min.

Spa was outstanding.

I agree with others that everything about the place is outrageously expensive but that if you are ready to splurge on a special trip, this is a great place to do it.

Advice: The gratuity added to room service food was only a few % more than gratuity added everywhere else, so I recommend room service! They do a great job!

Another note: we spent a day on a private tour with Mainor Lara of www.tours-your-way.com doing horseback riding, ziplining on the canopy, lunch, natural mud spa and some sightseeing, and he was excellent. I highly recommend him! Forget group tours.

We had some up-close encounters with some of the native Costa Rican wildlife outside our suite, so be prepared for this!

Minor complaint:
We had just got married at another Four Seasons hotel in North America and they told us before we arrived that they would upgrade our room in Costa Rica. They messed this up and did not have an upgraded room ready on arrival (had booked a canopy suite without plunge pool), but upgraded us on our 2nd day for the duration of the visit, along with plenty of bottles of champagne, fresh fruit, etc.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rad8
Reviewed 26 December 2008

Costa Rica is a blessed country. Beautiful is an understatement. This hotel has the amenities you come to expect from hotels in this price class and the Four Seasons Chain. Great service, wonderful, spacious, clean rooms from where you hear the ocean waves splashing on the beach, impeccable hotel grounds and golf course, several large pools, private beaches, dream spa.
We took excursions such as sunset hikes, snorkeling turns and a stunning horseback ride in the nearby forests. When I asked one of the guides whether the hotel stays booked most of the year he said he was amazed as to how many people could afford to spend $800 a night for a hotel. That kind of put us in our place as the wealthy 1. world visitors we are and it also epitomized a feeling I get in these resort hotels. You are kind of in a "rich man's ghetto", in countries like Costa Rica or most of the West Indies, surrounded by serious poverty. For me that diminishes the enjoyment. I would definetely recommend taking trips to other parts of Costa Rica on your own if you are at all interested in seeing the "real Costa Rica". Otherwise you could really be anywhere with nice weather, beaches and sail boats.

Agree to the comments on food prices at this resort. You are caught, the next cheaper eating establishment is miles away so you have no choice but to spend $20 on an average burger or $15 on a mixed drink, $7 coffees, etc. not including gratuities. Which btw I was never really clear on, were they included already?

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank loreleynyc
Reviewed 13 December 2008

The rooms, service and property are all fantastic. Everything is truley 5 star.

I do have a serious complaint about the food and drink prices. They are absolutely insane!!! By the time you add tax and tip and possibly an exchange rate you are paying $20 per cocktail.

I would recommend going to this hotel for 5 nights and heading south to some of the smaller beach communities to get a more authentique costa rican experience.

Here are some tips and must do's if you are visiting this property

1) The four seasons has access to the beach club and beach club restaurant for the papagayo pennisula. the food and drink prices are significantly cheaper and the pools at the beach club are superior to the four seasons. The beach club is no more that a 1 minute shuttle ride from the lobby. The four seasons doesn't advertise this because everyone would go there if they were made aware of it/ We had the whole place to ourselves one day. As an example the hamburger is $11 instead of $20 and cocktails are $10 instead of $16.

2) Rent a car from national and drive to Tamarindo to take some surfing lessons. I reccomend the iguana surf school. National will do free drop off and delivery for $50-60 if you phone them direct. This is much cheaper than having the four seasons book it for you. I would also recommend heading to playa del coco for dinner

3) The twighlight golf rates are great. The golf course is hardly used and is in phenominal shape. The tennis courts are also great.

4) The Witches Rock Zip line is a must

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank travel3030
Reviewed 8 December 2008

Here now--beautiful hotel, gorgeous rooms and view, huge balcony screened in with fan, soaking tub, internet access, great beds, nice toiletries, food is incredibly expensive (spent $100 just on nachoes, a gyros sandwich and a few drinks). 15% tax and 10% gratuity added to everything. Very expensive. Sea bass at restaurant was just so so. Service is wonderful. Rooms are sizeable. Will post pics later. Had fun feeding wild raccoons at dinner.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lillian B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulf of Papagayo
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Peninsula Papagayo
Andaz Costa Rica Resort At Penin...
#1 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo
3 mi away
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!