“Spectacular views”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
New Jersey
“Spectacular views”
Reviewed 14 February 2009

We were totally impressed & spoiled by the service at Four Seasons (regardless of the price). The staff couldn't do enough for you - bringing you chilled towels to cool off, iced water, dry towels when you came out of the pool. Someone even came around to clean our sunglasses...followed closely by a person whose job it was to cool you off by spraying your body w/ aerosol spring water from Evian (!). It’s easy to get used to!
Equally impressive seems to be this hotel’s ability to maintain this level of service in a faltering US/global economy. The resort was probably 30% full (usually 90-100% @ this time of year) – however, they seemed all the more grateful to see you and we could not see any compromises in staffing levels or service. Although, some of the 5 restaurants were closed on a rotating basis to keep the staff levels down. Unfortunately, you would hope that discounts would be available – this doesn’t seem to be the case @ the Four Seasons.
Food was delicious and frightfully expensive. Playa Prieta (affiliated beach club) was a bit less painful & equal in quality. The resort also offered many “free” activities that were 1st rate and great fun… salsa dancing, kayaking, cooking class, etc.. The premium king room had a great view of the ocean, we kept the double doors opened & listened to the sound of the waves all night. The balcony is another room with total privacy. We saw monkeys in the trees every day, something you don't see in the Caribbean!
One quick plug that is really well deserved… we read about (via Trip Advisor) and hired a private tour & transportation guide by the name of Mainor Lara (tours-your-way@hotmail.com). He was very reasonably priced and great! He picked us up at the airport, took us shopping and arranged a tour to the Congo Zip Line. On the way there he took us off the highway to show us the “real” Costa Rica – including a “tour” of his village (of which he was very proud). The zip line was the highlight of our trip, not to be missed!

• Liked — Service and Grounds
  • Disliked — Food Prices
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank TeeNewJersey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
American in Bogota
Reviewed 4 February 2009

We have just returned from an 9 day stay and while I can't say it was the most beautiful beaches I've seen or the most amazing architectual design I've seen, my overall experience at this hotel was perhaps my best ever due to extraordinary service, fantastic attention to children and their needs and the execution by the hotel of a very special event for our family. I think this hotel is apt for anyone who can travel there conveniently and would like a beach vacation a bit different from your typical Caribbean hotel (in culture, landscape, etc.) However, if you are looking to do some adventure travel in Costa Rica this hotel is perhaps not the best located and I might choose just to stay there for a few days at the end of your trip to relax after all the excitement. Like I said, we went for family time at the beach and spent every minute of our trip within the hotel and loved it. I should note that while staying at the Four Seasons you also have free access to another club nearby which has a fantastic restaurant and perhaps an even more beautiful pool/beach area.

For those traveling with kids: We were traveling with small children and at literally every meal they received some toy or trinket to play with and kind attention from staff (they even knew their names when we arrived and greated them personally!), children under 5 eat *whatever* they want for free, there is an amazing, enormous kids club and pool (in the shade and shallow and set away from the adult pools and supervised by 2-3 well-trained nannies), there are high quality, English-speaking babysitters available at very reasonable cost ($12/hour), upon arrival the children received a stuffed iguana as well as a fancy dessert shaped like a turtle in the room and the crib for our baby was decorated with cute linens and stocked with a few diapers and a travel kit full of Johnson's products. I honestly could not imagine what else they could provide for kids - so hats off to the hotel in that department!!!!

For those thinking of organizing a special event: we were traveling to celebrate grandmother's 70th birthday and the concierge Rafael was able to coordinate a 4 course private dinner for 10 on the beach complete with a lighted luminary path in the sand, tiki torches, a table set with fine linens, china and flowers and a 5 piece latin band. It was the party of grandmother's dreams and we can't thank Rafael and Andreina (of special events) enough for their dedication to making this event truly special and unique. I communicated many of my wishes about this event to Rafael by email prior to our arrival but the hotel exceeded our expectations for the event in every single way.

Activities: we didn't take advantage of too many activities but my husband and I did do a 3 hour kayak trip which was fun and turned out to be a private tour with a guide for only $15/person (which included a snack/water). We also rented a private Catamaran for the day for the whole group and while we enjoyed ourselves, we didn't see much on that trip that we hadn't already seen by kayak. Most importantly, several members of our group played golf and all of us took the famous "tour" of the golf course by golf cart and no one had ever seen a more beautiful or ecologically maintained golf course. You literally see monkeys, birds and all kinds of nature driving through the course and there are cliff-top ocean views from 14 of the 18 holes. It was for me, even more beautiful than the famous Pebble Beach in California.

Rooms: we all had the very basic rooms (first floor) and I have to say, I'm not sure it's really worth it to pay more to be on a higher floor b/c virtually all of the rooms have partial ocean/partial forest views. If you stay in a suite, you will have to take a golf cart to and from your room or hike up and down some hills whereas the standard rooms are within steps of the pools and restaurants. Overall, we were extremely happy with our decision to stay "cheap" ($695/night plus 30% tax plus expenses). We spent hours reading on the shady, ample balcony in the room - each balcony has a couch and 2 armchairs. Additionally, since the heat was pretty moderate even during the day we were even able to leave the doors to the room open to the balcony most of the time to listen to the ocean and enjoy the breeze rather than freeze ourselves in air-conditioning.

Beaches/pools: the staff at the beaches and pools are fantastic. We generally could pick any location we wanted and they would move chairs for us, set up towels and bring a bucket full of bottles of water (bottled water throughout the hotel is free and all beaches and pools are stocked with sunblock, magazines, evian skin spray, etc.) We had no problems getting a chair or getting attention of an attendant even once and by mid-week just about all of them greeted us by name (also true in the restaurants.) The beaches are ample, clean and the waves are pretty calm. There are 2 big pools, an adult pool, a heated jacuzzi, and a kiddie pool at the kids club. Most people opt for the beach "Virador" but there is also a second beach where all the water sports equipment is located for those who want more privacy.

Restaurants: the food is good but not great (this is pretty much what I've found at any beach hotel I've ever stayed at - that no matter how fancy the prices typically do not quite match up to what you get.) That being said the food was good and there were plenty of choice so we didn't get bored.

Spa: the spa is gorgeous - views out over the ocean, even in some of the treatment rooms and everyone in our party was very happy with their services in the spa. The spa and gym are free access while you are staying at the hotel so even if you don't have an appointment you can go and use the steam room, hot and cold pools, etc.

Cost: this hotel is pricey, but to its credit they don't nickel and dime you. Bottled water is free, all tips are included for everyone you come in contact with in the hotel (they add 10% to your food and spa services, but everyone else is tipped out through a fee you pay as part of your room cost), room service is basically the same price as eating in the restaurant, and many activities are free or at very low cost (the 2 hour golf course tour, for example, is free). The kids club is free and sitters are only $12/hour. Spa services and golf itself are quite expensive but obviously, you choose whether or not to do them. You can expect to pay a minimum of $20 for breakfast, $25 for lunch and $50 for dinner per person (and that would be the very, very minimum with no licor and ordering the cheapest options.) A cocktail will cost you about $20.

Overall: extremely happy with this hotel and highly recommend it!

• Liked — Outstanding service and amenities for kids
  • Disliked — Nature Air airlines are terrible and unreliable - try to fly direct into Liberia from the U.S.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
10 Thank ChiquiMonster
NY
Reviewed 31 January 2009

This is really a beautiful hotel and area. first the good: the STAFF are absolutely amazing. I mean amazing. they must go thorugh a rigorous training program. They are so informative, so sweet, and so accommodating. They will chat with you for 20 minutes about a day trip you asked a question about then bring to you a map and info. they go above an beyond. this is what you go to Four Seasons for. The food, outstanding. 5 star all the way. drinks, terrific. spa, fantastic. The main pool area is really nice but alot of adults DON"T supervise their kids. my husband was trying to sleep and the splashing and screaming was too much. the adult pool area is too small and didn't care for it, I much preferred the main pool. Our room: we booked a ONE BEDROOM canopy suite. really beautiful but we did NOT have a view of the ocean/ bay from our room. it was $1800 night and I felt like I should have had a view but too many trees obstructed it. we were in one of the lower suites. also, the suite did not look as georgeous as portrayed on their web site. The main beach was nice, but I thougth the ocean water was going to be more warm and clear and blue and it was not. It was a little chilly, the ocean water was a little murky and its NOT nearly as nice as the Caribbean. if you think the ocean is going to be like the Caribbean be prepared, its like the west coast of Mexico. Their are monkeys in the trees on the main beach, this was fun to see. the sports beach seemed a bit messy. we saw empty bottles laying around. I would not recommend the sports beach. This resort is completely isolated from everything else. you have to do everything here. so, be prepared to spend money. it was about $80.00 for breakfast for two. cocktails and snacks before dinner $100++ its a great resort, but VERY expensive. when you read the menu it looks pretty reasonable, but then you have to add 25% to everything to cover tax and tips. Costa Rica was nice, but honestly I was not too impressed. I would recommend Fiji over Costa Rica for a romantic trip or honeymoon.

• Liked — floors
  • Disliked — no view
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
8 Thank sabinder
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 22 January 2009

We just returned from a six night stay in early January. My husband was attending a conference and we had our two children, ages 3 and 5, with us. We had a wonderful time- I agree with the other positive reviews- here are just a few things that I hope will be helpful:

Room: we had a Premium room on the 3rd floor which had a king bed, twin bed, and a crib, and it actually wasn't too crowded. We would put the kids to sleep then close the doors and sit on the patio which was quite large. Our room was spotless and most if not all the rooms faced the ocean.

Food: we ate at all the restaurants, including the Beach Club, and thought the food in general was fine. Papagayos was actually one of our better dinners even though it is the "cheapest" option. We loved Caracol- it was definitely our favorite- great steak and seafood. We did the brazilian bbq at Congos which was A LOT of food but good. The Beach Club was definitely a reasonable and good option. Our least favorite was DiMare- it wasn't bad, just ok. All the restaurants had great service and we sat outdoors and had a beautiful view most nights. Very enjoyable even with the kids-haha. They do have coloring books, a good kids menu, and even gave the kids gifts (stuffed animals, games, etc) which helped a lot! A tip for parents that I didn't know: kids under 5 eat free, so if you tell them that they won't charge you even if the kids order off the menu, ie food, smoothies, dessert, etc all FREE but it wasn't consistently taken off so you might have to remind them. It was especially great for breakfast, my husband had his conference so I would order room service- coffee for myself, and pancakes, eggs, bacon, juice, toast, and potatoes for the kids and the bill would be $6.49 including tax and tip! It made up a little for the dinners! We did the buffet breakfast at Papagayo's our last day and it was ok. Totally adequate but not fabulous like the FS Maui. We ate lunch at the pool every day and my husband I could usually share- the kids loved the smoothies.

Beaches/Pools: There are two beaches, one is for activities where you can use kayaks, paddleboats, etc free of charge. We took the kids out in a clear-bottomed kayak one day which was fun. The other beach is for swimming, they have lots of sand toys and boogieboards and the kids loved it. Yes, the sand is not perfectly white, yes, there are a few ants, yes, there are a few big bugs, yes, people were fussing about it- but honestly it was just fine! It is a beautiful beach, and the service is wonderful, just what you would expect from FS. The same is true at the pools, there are 4- one for adults, one for kids, and 2 family pools. There are lots of toys, boogie boards, and noodles for the kids. One day, for a change, we went to the Beach Club which is a five-minute drive away (it's available for FS guests to use) and tried out their beach and pool. We prefered the FS but the Beach Club is fun if you have bigger kids (or adults) who want to boogie board- the beach has bigger waves and is really fun for that. The pools are nice also and the food was good and more reasonable than at the hotel.

Activities: I didn't realize how many compimentary activities they offer- there is a schedule in the room and you could be busy most of the day if you wanted to. They have fitness classes in the am which they do charge $15 for, also some of the tennis clinics have small charges, otherwise it's free. They have hiking trips, kayaking trips, snorkling, tennis and golf clinics, cooking classes, salsa lessons, etc etc. Of course I didn't do any of these things as I was too busy having wonderful quality time with my lovely children :), but I talked to some other moms who put their children in Kids for All Seasons to do some of the clinics and activities and they said it was great! We did do the golf course tour as others have recommended and it was really nice- we saw monkeys and iguanas up close. Since our kids were so little, the only off-site activity we could do was the trip to Palo Verde National Park which was nice- we really enjoyed the boat ride and all the close-up views of crocodiles, iguanas, bats, birds, and monkeys.

Airport Transfers: thanks to a previous recommendation, we used J and C Tours, they were great- very reliable and professional AND only $160 round trip for the four of us vs $400 if we had used the hotel transportation.

Etc: We were wondering about water, but they provide complimentary bottled water in the room and also everywhere else you go- pool, beach, golf, etc. Also there are complimentary washers and dryers which we actually used, even though we weren't planning to.

We had a wonderful time, everyone was so friendly and gracious, the resort is beautiful and easy to get around. This is a great place if you just want to relax. We want to go back in a few years when the kids are old enough to do more of the activities, then we would visit the volcanos and go zip-lining, horseback riding, hiking, etc first, then spend the last part of the vacation relaxing here.

• Liked — Beautiful location and amazing service
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
9 Thank tc2009
NJ
Reviewed 14 January 2009

This review is 3 years overdo but better late than never! My fiancee and I stayed at the Four Seasons for 4 days and 3 nights and absolutely fell in love with the property. We consider ourselves seasoned travelers and have been to many exclusive hotels in Europe and the US. Out of all my travels, the Four Seasons has been by far my favorite. Perhaps I am a bit biased since I was born in the states but raised in Costa Rica. The country is beautiful, friendly people, and has a stable government so as a tourist I feel safe to travel.

Four Seasons:

Located on a private peninsula, the hotel is tucked away..I mean really secluded. You have to drive deep to get to the main gates, and then once you pass the security gates, there is still at least 2 miles to get to the lobby. You drive by the golf courses before reaching the lobby area, the area is lined with tall palm trees and spectacular views of the coast. I was so taken back by the absolute beauty of the Papagayo Peninsula, it truly was a sight to see! Once we reached the lobby, we were warmly greeted with a cold towel and a refreshing drink. Check in was a breeze and the lobby is beautiful, its open air feeling incorporates the beauty of nature with light colored marble throughout.

Our room was on the second floor and although the elevators were tight (as my fiancee in his chair, myself and the bellhop could not fit in there all at once). But a minor inconvenience really because the room was beautiful.My fiancee being in a wheelchair, requested a handicap accessible room and it was huge! As you enter the room, the vanity/bathroom area is to your left while two beautiful rich mahogany closet doors are to your right. Walk further and you will reach the bedroom area with the mini-bar to your right near the flat screen TV. One of the nicest features of the room are these beautiful mahogany doors that fold into the wall to create an open feeling, as if the room wasn't big enough. There is a large patio area with a table/chairs and a spacious lounger, if you open the doors all the way the breeze is so nice and you really feel at one with nature hearing the monkeys and the sound of the ocean. Sadly, our patio view was obstructed by a tree so we didn't get a full view of the ocean but it added to the privacy and richness of nature. We got a kick out of hearing the monkeys while sitting outside but do watch out for the bugs, you share the space with nature remember..

Bed:

King sized and so comfy, sheets were awesome. We are bed snobs and are accustomed to sleeping in 1500 count at home but were not disappointed by the choice of mattress or linens!

Pool:
Nice, nothing spectacular but very nice and clean of course. Pool seating was comfortable as we hate seats with little cushion, and jacuzzi was a nice feature with a waterfall and the staff did not bother us while using it late at night..very private and romantic!

Food:

Expensive..oh my! But expected, come on its the Four Seasons! Food was very good to excellent, we were not blown away but then again we are very meticulous about our culinary choices so we are hard to please. But you will not be disappointed with the food options, just be ready to fork out a pretty penny! The selection is good,they had traditional dishes like Gallo Pinto or Huevos Rancheros or more US type options...overall pleased with the food. Drinks were actually delicious, I was pregnant at the time but all my virgin drinks tasted fresh and perfect! Fiancee disappointed they did not carry McClellan 21 but can't win them all!

Overall Accessibility:

Fairly good for wheelchairs, there are elevators but like I said they aren't huge like Vegas but even for a motorized chair you can make it work. Our room was completely accessible with a separate toilet area, luxury shower will pull down seat and nozzles, tub with hand rails and vanity at proper height.We have a manual chair and my fiancee can transfer his own weight fairly easy from chair to car but he weight lifts so if you don't have the arm strength perhaps you might enlist the help of the staff as they always seem eager to assist us with anything we needed. Please take into consideration that the path to the beach is slightly sloped and not accessible at all so we could not go down to the beach. I am not sure if the hotel has a Beach Wheelchair but we didn't ask since we couldn't go down anyway. Costa Rica takes great pride in preserving their natural beauty so there are certain easements set by the government, ie there cannot be a concrete structure (path in this case) going up to the beach as it impedes on the natural surface. I am unsure the exact amount of distance alloted by the law but nothing that is close to the beach. I myself only saw a view of the beach from our patio, but if you want turquoise water go to the caribbean (sorry I hate when travelers say they are disappointed with the water color)..its a different body of water! The sounds of the rain forest and the waves crashing cant be beat!

Conclusion:

Costa Rica is an eco-tourism paradise! The country is about the size of West Virginia (US) so don't expect to get from the central valley to the either coast in less than a 3 hour ride. Stay away from San Jose, too much crime and overcrowded.. Visit Volcan Arenal, beautiful sight! Visit the Hot springs by the volcanos, very cool and I don't know if this still is allowed but when I was a child we would pull our car on the side of the road near the volcano and climb down to soak in the hot springs..but ask a local just in case. Do the rain forest zipline, I have understood they have one for wheelchairs but did not get a chance to try it out...shame..
Overall I would recommend traveling to Costa Rica if you enjoy nature a vacation with adventure, if you prefer lounging by the beach maybe try the caribbean instead..its beautiful as well! I would recommend the Four Seasons for a luxury retreat, and taking in the sights and sounds of nature while being treated like royalty!
Please fell free to email me if you have any questions about the hotel or handicap accessibility.

• Liked — Rooms were gorgeous!
  • Disliked — Beach was not handicap accessible
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KPNJ
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 January 2009

Absolutely beautiful property. Spacious rooms with a large lanai. The food is very expensive but the service is top notch. There is a beach club in the Peninsula that has more reasonable food and drinks but that is the only other choice. The pool(s) are beautiful and the beach is ok.

Take the golf tour even if you do not play. The views are amazing and it is free. You will see lots of wildlife and not be disappointed. The tours through the concierge are nice but beware many involve long travel times.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
San Francisco
Reviewed 11 January 2009

We loved staying at the 4 Seasons property in Guanacaste. It is very remote and it secluded. At the time it was the only hotel on that peninsula which was very nice. The rooms were very clean and tidy. I did find that it was a bit too secluded at times. There isn't transportation to town, unless you rent a car which is not recommended due to the unmarked roads, or book a tour. The tours booked by the hotel were quite expensive, so we opted for Avispa Adventures tour group which was a bit more reasonable and we were very pleased with their services. They also offered more tours to more key locations such as to Monteverde to experience the best zip line tours in Costa Rica which is a must see and do and Arenal Volcano and Baldi Hot Springs. The spa is absolutely fabulous at the 4 seasons. The coffee scrub and coffee mud wrap followed by a massage were to die for! The spa also offered a separate women's steam room and wonderful outdoor hot tub overlooking the beach which was very private and fabulous just for women. I would highly recommend the four seasons hotel!

• Liked — The property was gorgeous.
  • Disliked — You are stuck there if you don't book a tour. No transportation to town. It's very remote.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!