Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed 18 April 2010

Great hotel, food, room, and scenery. Staff was great. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 13 April 2010

My husband and I traveled to the 4S Costa Rica for a five-night stay on my 40th Birthday. It couldn't have been more perfect. The resort was beautiful, the service was excellent, and the rooms were clean and comfortable. My expectations were exceeded in every way.

Restaurants: We ate dinner at both Di Mare and Caracol. I was not wowed by Di Mare….it was my least favorite meal while in Costa Rica. The ambiance and food was much better at Caracol which is the restaurant at the golf course. At Caracol we had a table which overlooked the 18th hole. We ate our dinner under the stars….magical. My husband ordered the filet, which he said, was about the best he has ever tasted and I ordered the fish which was delicious.

We enjoyed sitting out on our patio each morning and eating room service for breakfast. There is a good selection on the menu and everything we ordered was great. Most days I ordered the fresh fruit and breadbasket continental, which I found, was one of the best values at the 4S. It also came with coffee and a juice (I ordered the juice of the day which I always enjoyed). One day I ordered the banana bread as my bread and they brought me a whole loaf…delicious and fresh.

I am told the resort had coffee stations at a couple locations but they always closed down by 8 a.m. which was earlier than I woke most days since we were on vacation and I was still on CA time where it was 6 a.m.

We were scheduled to golf two days but only golfed once. The course was absolutely breathtaking. It was much hotter than we expected it to be and that interfered a bit with our game but we stopped along the way to take pictures of and enjoy howler monkeys, raccoon like animals, iguanas, and the beautiful views. We went at twilight in which it is $130 instead of $195 per person and the club and shoe rental was free. Unfortunately, it was too dark by the 16th hole to finish but it gave us the opportunity to see the sunset while driving back to the golf clubhouse. I highly recommend golfing this course at least one day if you can. Tip: I wish someone had mentioned to us to put bug spray on before we golfed. By the second hole my husband was already bit many times by mosquitoes and the bites bothered him the rest of the trip. The snack cart has bug spray on it for golfers to use but we did not see it until the 5th hole. Put some on before golfing and you will have a better round. The snack cart also has wet chilled towels for the golfers which were much appreciated on the hot day we golfed.

Now to the highlight of my trip which most of you who have been reading the Trip Advisor reviews as I did before I came already have heard about. Tours Your Way is a private tour company owned by Mainor Lara. We took the Hacienda Guachipilin Adventure Tour. It was exactly the adventure I was looking for on my 40th Birthday. The canopy tour lasted about an hour. I felt safe the whole time and was able to enjoy every minute of the zip lining, Tarzan swinging, rock climbing, even being lowered hanging upside down in the canyon over a small river! I am a cautious person as I have two sons who need their mother around a few more years so if I can do it you can too. We took an hour horseback ride to a river which we white water tubed down (about an hour too). More fun!!! I had such a blast and the best part was that Manor personalized the tour for us. For example: He was waiting for us with his car and towels where our tubing ended and took us directly to lunch while all the others on the tour were herded onto the bus…we felt like royalty. Manor had a nice table reserved for us. I was more adventurous than I even knew I would be and I actually tried the food. They had a fruit drink I liked and I also tried the fish soup (which had veggies), rice, beans, and a couple other items. The Guachipilin tour offered a photo disk of the adventure for $40 which we purchased. It was a great idea because we did not need to bring our camera on the zip lining, horseback riding, or tubing.

Manor added in many special touches that really made our day and I would highly recommend anyone going to Costa Rica take one of his tours. He spoke great English and gave us a lot of interesting information about Costa Rica. He also picked us up at the Airport and brought us to the 4S and then back to the Airport when we left. On the way to the 4S he stopped by a liquor store in which we bought bottled water and some alcohol which cost much less than at the 4S.

Anyone who has every stayed at a 4S before already knows this but just in case you haven't. Everything is expensive...just expect it. Be prepared to tip someone several times a day. Especially, when golfing. Ex. The driver from the resort to the course (tip), the guy who sets up your cart with clubs and you with shoes (tip), the starter who also fills your cooler with ice (tip), the snack cart drivers (tip), the guy who takes your cart at end of the round (tip), the driver back to the resort (tip). This is a typical day at the resort. I did see some people who did not tip for things like the drive to the golf course. This is how these people make their living and I did not think that was right. I know some of you have varied opinions on tipping but if you can afford to stay at a 4S you can afford to tip the staff there.

We spent more time at the beach than by the pool while it seemed others did the opposite at least while we were there. We used the canoes, swam out to the water trampoline, and played in the waves. The water was warm and inviting.

I can’t say enough wonderful things about both the Four Seasons Costa Rica and Tours Your Way to do them justice….you just have to experience both for yourself some day.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Momsperception
Reviewed 8 April 2010

My wife and 9 year old son had a great vacation at the Four Seasons Costa Rica. We had a premium room and loved it! It had a beautiful screened balcony, where we could see Howler monkeys playing the first two days. Lots of interesting wildlife, birds and good snorkeling. Beaches were very nice too! We ate at dinner Di Mare twice, the golf course, Tico's, which were all great and very relaxing! We also at the nearby Beach restaurant for dinner and it was disappointing, however the infinity pool at the Beach Clubvwas great and worth the short drive. We played 18 holes and the golf course, which was spectacular. Lots of wildlife and great views on the course. We did the river tour with Tours-Your-Way and it was neat how we fed the monkeys - great experience. The Four Seasons had outstanding service and the local people were very friendly. Very relaxing, laid back resort. Overall, outstanding experience and would definitely return!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank GregF2
Reviewed 8 April 2010

We just returned from a 1 week stay with our 4 children. We loved the hotel, setting and especially the service. The entire staff was excellent, friendly with positive attitudes. The room was beautiful and had a large veranda that overlooked the ocean. The food was on par with a five star hotel. They had a large selection of restaurants including the restaurants at the beach club. All the meals were very good and the food was not very expensive compared to other hotels we have visited. The children's meals were extremely reasonable.
The pools and the ocean were warm and pleasant and there were always enough chairs to choose from. I did not feel the pools were small. This is a smaller Four Season so they do not need and enormous pool. The hotel is very low key. Everyone dresses very casual. It is definitely not a scene!!!

We did not utilize the kids or teens club. My children are 12, 11 and 9 and did not show much interest in attending the programs. The kids and teens clubs are a little out of the way from the main part of the hotel. We were guests over Easter Week and the hotel brought in a ton of video and arcade games into the ballroom so the kids went over there to get a break from the sun.
The negative part was the heat. It felt like it was over 100 degrees everyday and it did not change much at night. The other negative is that the hot tub wasn't working. We spent a good portion of our day in the water. There are kayaks, jet skis, catamarans, paddle boats, boogie boards, snorkeling and volleyball on the beach.
We left the hotel and took 2 private tours with Tours Your Way. The guide was excellent and we highly recommend them. We went on a river tour and a zip line tour. We had a great time.
Lastly, we want to commend our favorite waiter at Papagayo restaurant. His name is Josue. Every morning he greeted us with a smile and went out of his way to make our breakfast experience amazing. We felt as if we were leaving a friend when we went home.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank dgely
Reviewed 2 April 2010

great place, food average and you pay high end.
pools so small, no lap pool.
the best place to go is the beach club for the homeowners
great golf course

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank alfredhs
Reviewed 1 April 2010

This architectural gem sits at the end of a beautiful peninsula giving the hotel beaches on two sides. Our room was one of the best rooms I have ever had at any Four Seasons or any other 5 star property. In addition to being large and overlooking the ocean, the room and a giant veranda style balcony enclosed by an unintrusive screen. Between the room, the beach and the pools, we had all we needed. If you are looking for local excursions, they are a long drive from the hotel so I think this place is better suited for travellers who tend to remain on the property. I'm not a golfer but the course looked beautiful. The exercise facility was comparable to a top notch health club. I did not utilize the spa.

Obviously, this place is on the radar of the rich and famous. We rubbed elbows with the members of Metallica as well as the drama that is Reggie Bush/Kim Kardashian. Nice to see no cameras around!

My only negative is that the food did not seem to be up to par. We tried every restaurant available (Di Mare was closed during our stay) and were somewhat disappointed by the blandness, especially when compared with other local dining experiences. If this issue were fixed, I think we would have a perfect hotel experience here.

1  Thank Ghostpuppet
Reviewed 1 April 2010

When I retire, it will be in this location. Wonderful place, wonderful people. Be ready to step up for the meals, etc., but everything is good quality and excellent service. The beach is loaded with toys to play with, and kids are very well accomodated. The only downside (depending on your view) is that you are remote, so totally serene, but it takes a long time to get to more "native" locations. We did several offsite excursions, including with Alberto, who works for Mainor's "Tours Your Way". They've got a number of pre-set trips, or will do whatever suits your fancy. Great guys. We're going back next year with the kids.

1  Thank BHarrington
Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!