“A bit disappointed”

Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Reviewed 27 May 2010

My husband and I traveled to Costa Rica for our Anniversary. We picked the Four Seasons as we are huge fans of the Hotel chain, and always have a great experience. Unfortunately, our expectations were a bit disappointed with this trip.

Upon checking in, we were upgraded to a suite. However, we soon discovered that there was construction right next door, which was definitely distracting to our relaxing experience. We called and complained, whereupon they moved us to another room. The new room was nice, clean, and a bit closer to the pool/beach. With the Suites, you have to take a golf cart, which can be an annoying wait when you want to get somewhere and the employees are busy elsewhere. We also ended up having to hide bottles of water so that the maid would bring us more, as they only left us 2 a day. You could buy a refillable bottle if you wanted, which, at the room price, should be complimentary. The shower and lights also had to be fixed by maintenance when we were there.

The other disappointment was the food. There are 4 restaurants on site. When we were there, there were usually only 1-2 open: the bar area (with limited menu) and one other one. This was due to the large groups that were there, I think. The Food Service was busy preparing food for big dinners on the beach and events in the hotel. So the actual guests were put on the back burner. So, the food choices got old. The prices are expensive for the quality of food you get as well.

Lastly, there was a few groups of college-age folks that were playing their radios and smoking at the pool. Not your ideal scenario when you want to sit and relax.

Overall, we were disappointed in the experience. The hotel would be fine for a couple/few days to spend on the beach after some adventures in the rainforest. But not for longer than that.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank cab_travels
There are newer reviews for Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo

Reviewed 25 May 2010

I cannot describe the level of service this place offers. If I so much as lingered near a chair by the pool, a waiter (employee of the resort) would instantly appear, address me by name, and ask if he could get me anything. If I said yes, say, "I'd like a daiquiri" (sp?), he/she would reply, every time, without fail, "Absolutely, Mrs. ______!" It seemed as if every time we left the room, someone came in and straightened it up. Folded my clothes, picked it up, replaced dirty towels, wiped the counters, emptied trash (which NEVER accumulated), etc. The service was impeccable, the facilities equally as impressive.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank heroca
Reviewed 23 May 2010

My family and I stayed at the Four Seasons for the first week in May, It was amazing!! My Husband and I have traveled all over the world and love tropical destinastions. Costa Rica has exceeded our expectations by far! We Loved the service of the resort and the staff was very attentive and focused on the guests. The only let down was the pool very open and not very private. Beaches we to die for... May was a great time of year to come to Costa Rica, we only had one large rain shower and the rest of the week was bright and sunny! We have two kids 9 - 12 who were desperate to see wildlife and zipline so we decided to adventure off property. We have had friends who came perviously 6 months before us and they reccomended Alejandro from ALexCRtours. We went to the Boriquen adventure center and played all day. The kids went horseback riding and did the zipline and also went in to the Hot spring and mud baths... what an expieriance. His service was very private and custumed to just our family's needs. We ate Lunch at the best resturant where we enjoyed local food and atmosphere. We will be back next year for another family vacation

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Machilla_10
Reviewed 18 May 2010

We paid in the $750 range for a room that was just ok but the worst part of the trip was the food that was at best mediocre and expensive for what they offerd. I love fruits and vegetables and there was aminimum at meals. Servings of sish and meat were small for the prices. Alcohol was expensive. I have stayed in other Four Seasons and not had this experience but will not go to another Four Seasons until I do better research.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank evensong3
Reviewed 16 May 2010

There is nothing bad to say about this hotel. My wife and I have traveled far and wide and this is truly one of our favorites. We started out in a deluxe room and after a couple of days I wanted a change and they were kind enough to put us in a cabana suite without the plunge pool. It is much different that the original room and totally worth it. Not every room has a great fiew of the ocean and this is because many are blocked by the trees. I would recommend our suite room 1521. It is the only one that has an unobstructed view that is at the cabana level. The zip lines were great...Mainor tours your way...fantastic. We fished this am and my wife caught a gigantic Mahimahi! The cooks at the hotel are cooking it for us tonight for room service! Hows that for service?? All in all a fantastic place with great service. We won't be back but that is because its our policy to never waste our time repeating a vacation. But if we were forced to go back somewhere....this would be at the top of the list!

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank juliorevereber
Reviewed 15 May 2010

Let me get this out in the beginning this place is expensive. But worth every penny. Food was great. We ate at all 4 restaurants available (Carocaol, Congo's Tico's Di Mare, Papagayo and the Beach Club). They were all delicious but we preferred Di Mare. there are three pools and 2 beaches. the grounds are immaculate. the Spa, OMG the spa. I went for a deep tissue massage and i had to go back the next for another treatment, they are that amazing. As I mentioned earlier it is expensive, once you get over the sticker shock just PURA VIDA! the resort is remote it takes about 30 minutes to get to town. They resort has activities but we didn't try any. During our stay there were a few corporate events however they were well behaved and didnt give Americans a bad name, as some do (being loud, drunk and obnoxious). The staff are the most helpful. It was windy one day on the beach so the sane was blowing everywhere, I'm trying to brush off the sand and a staff member came and brought me a wet towel, asked to change my lounge chasie covering he even recommended i go to the other beach and would take my belonging there for me- WHAT- WOW!
We didn't do much except and ATV trip through Mainor of Tours you r way and Scuba diving arranged through the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cobblehillnow
Reviewed 8 May 2010

We had a wonderful three nights at the resort, and wish we had booked a longer trip here.

The overall service and staff friendliness and graciousness were as good as it gets...even good for the already high Four Season's standards.

The hotel's pools and beaches were better than we expected. Two wonderful beaches right there....one beach was great for snorkeling, swimming and kayaking, and the other beach was wonderful for having a drink and watching the sunset. There is also a private beach club that is currently available to hotel guests that was wonderful. We had lunch and a lazy afternoon there one day.

The golf course is beautiful. I recommend that you take the free tour of the course that is offered each afternoon to see the many ocean views and beautiful fairways. On our tour we saw monkeys playing in the trees and large iguanas sunning themselves. The tour was so nice, that i woke up and played 18 the next morning...they have all the clubs, shoes, etc necessary to rent so no need to bring your own gear.

The resort offered a number of dining options and we particularly enjoyed the variety of casual dining outlets so we could go from the sunset to dinner in our shorts, etc without getting dressed up for a fancy dinner...since this was a vacation, after all. On our final night we did dress up a little more and enjoyed a fine meal at their Italian restaurant. If we had another night, we would have gone to their steak house that is located at the golf course....we saw it by day and it had a very cool ambiance.

While we didn't leave the property (since we only had three days there), we spoke with several guests who enjoyed taking day excursions off property to the zip lines, volcanoes and other nearby sites. We also met two couples who rented a boat for a sunset cruise and they raved about it.

Enjoy.

Hotel Riu Palace Costa Rica
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!